BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2007 4:48:11 PM EDT
Mine was shooting shotgun size patterns all day long with
Remignton golden bullets
Federal bulk pack
winchester
the only thing that groups is 60gn aguila and that is 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards the rest i am luck to keep 9 out of 10 on the paper.  

I shot probably 300 rounds through it and when I cleaned the chamber adapter gobs of lead just fell out.  I cleaned the best I could and it did not do any better.  Should there be that much lead?  I knew this would not be a tack driver, but I expected to be able to plink pop cans.

PS I want this to shoot decent, but if I can't get it to hit a pop can at 25 yards then I will let someone else see if they can get it to run for $120 with 3 mags.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What twist is your barrel?

Also the manual suggests running a full mag of 5.56 after 200 or so rounds of .22lr.
Thats specifically to clean out the gas system, but it can't not clean out the rifeling too.

I
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure of the twist, the lower is a Bushmaster XM15 so that would mean it was 1 in 9, but the upper has Armalite sites on it and it was used the dealer could not tell me and I never really cared to find out.  Honestly it could be any twist rate, but it shoots .223 well so I did not care.

Also I noticed the lead build up on the adapter itself.  Meaning I remove the adapter from the rifle and push a brush through it and lead falls out.  It was enough to have filled in the rifling I would have to guess.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like there's something about your adapter that's digging lead out of the bullets while they're being chambered.  Is EVERYTHING about the breech end of the adapter perfectly smooth?  Are your magazine adapters properly installed (which affects feed angle)?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also the manual suggests running a full mag of 5.56 after 200 or so rounds of .22lr.

WHAT manual? The Ciener? Because the M261 manual sure doesn't say anything like that at all.

And cleaning out with a full mag is a complete waste. LOAD a full mag, pull the trigger once. Did it fire, eject, and feed up the second round? Congratulations, your gas sytem is working fine. No need to repeat 19 more times.

ETA: Ciener's website says this on the issue: "The unit should be removed from the firearm after 500 rounds and the bolt locking lug area of the barrel cleaned and de-carboned using the standard chamber/locking lug cleaning brush.  Firing the 5.56mm (.223 Rem.) cartridge will fully clean any residual .22LR rimfire ammunition fouling from the gas system."
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT manual? The Ciener? Because the M261 manual sure doesn't say anything like that at all.

And cleaning out with a full mag is a complete waste. LOAD a full mag, pull the trigger once. Did it fire, eject, and feed up the second round? Congratulations, your gas sytem is working fine. No need to repeat 19 more times.

ETA: Ciener's website says this on the issue: "The unit should be removed from the firearm after 500 rounds and the bolt locking lug area of the barrel cleaned and de-carboned using the standard chamber/locking lug cleaning brush.  Firing the 5.56mm (.223 Rem.) cartridge will fully clean any residual .22LR rimfire ammunition fouling from the gas system."

Sorry I was mistaken in the numbers.

The M261 manual states

At the end of each training session .(typically
400-1000 rounds per weapon), remove the
rimfire adapter and reinstall the bolt carrier.
Fire a 20/30 round magazine of 5.56-mm
M193 ball ammo in the automatic mode in
short bursts of 4 to 5 rounds.

I usually have fowling after 200 or so rounds as I am burning thru a bunch of nonplated bullets.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I installed the adapters according to the tech manual, so I believe that they are installed correctly.  Sometimes a round will jam on the bottom edge of the chamber, and dent the nose of the bullet, however I remove those and do not shoot them.  Also the bottom edge is slightly beveled, other than that it looks pretty smooth.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The M261 manual states

At the end of each training session .(typically
400-1000 rounds per weapon), remove the
rimfire adapter and reinstall the bolt carrier.
Fire a 20/30 round magazine of 5.56-mm
M193 ball ammo in the automatic mode in
short bursts of 4 to 5 rounds.

I usually have fowling after 200 or so rounds as I am burning thru a bunch of nonplated bullets.

Take another look at that M261 manual. That passage specifically refers to the use of M861 .22 rimfire TRACER ammo. It gives NO such instruction about the use of regular lead ball ammo.

I've run as much as 800 rounds of Winchester Dynapoints through my M261 with NO fouling of the gas system. I'm currently repeating the tests with Remington Golden Bullets because that's the ammo I can get now that the gun likes best. So far NO gas tube fouling at 300 rounds. 500, 800, and 1000 round tests to come.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is about fowling in the barrel not gas tube fowling.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What sort of tiny fowl can get into a 5.56mm barrel?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What sort of tiny fowl can get into a 5.56mm barrel?  

Teal, woodducks, etc...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow you guys crack me up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top