Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:55:56 PM EDT
With a cheap Mag, all I had to do was hit the side and the M261 mag popped right out. In a good mag, I can't figure out how to remove it through the top. Do I need to take the mag apart and let it fall out through the bottom?

This sounds stupid question, but it's relevant because I was wondering if I could weld the bottom of the GI mag shut with the M261 inside, making it a dedicated M261 mag only- thus, Kalifornia compliant.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:23:42 AM EDT
The M261 mag comes out exactly the same way it went in (sometimes takes a little jiggling), so welding the floorplate will not solve your problem.

Replacing the 16 mag spring with a solid filler block and then permanently fastening the floorplate might work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:59 AM EDT
Wouldn't welding the part of the insert that goes under the feed lips to the feed lips make it Kali compliant? And be easier than messing with the floorplate?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:34:56 AM EDT
That sounds even better. I just figured that it would be harder to do because the mag has to be aligned well.

So the next question is, where would I get this done?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:55:21 AM EDT
I guess you do have a point there. Welding the bottom closed so you couldn't fit in a regular spring and follower would still allow you to adjust the position of the insert, whereas if you tack the insert in place you'd have to make sure it's in the right place. But it shouldn't be too hard to find the right location at the range and mark it.

Where to have it welded? I'd take it to a friend of mine who owns a welding rig. Or to the place down the street with the big "Welding - Hitches" sign out front. Any machine shop would be able to do it. Some car/truck/tractor repair shops have welders. A college metal shop would too. Lots of farmers do. Some gunsmiths that do real custom work or major repairs probably do too.

If the M-261 parts are steel then it would probably work better to use a cheap steel mag than an aluminum GI mag.

Before you get too far into it, it probably wouldn't hurt to confirm what CA considers legal too...
Top Top