Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2003 8:16:37 AM EDT
Am I right in thinking that a AR15 with a 14.5 barrel would be better off shooting 69bthp for SHTF MODE? Rather than M193??
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say yes.

Because 69gr would frag at lower velocities.
Would be more accurate.
Should penetrate autoglass and light armour as well or better.

Downside, much more expensive.

Now the heavywieghts can back me up or shoot me down. [peep]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Even better would be the Black Hills 68 gr OTM if it shoots as well in your carbine. The 68 gr version has a shorter neck (it doesn't have to travel as far before fragmenting) and performs very well. And should you have a gun with a 1/7 twist barrel, then the Hornady or Black Hills 75 gr OTM would be a better choice than either. All fragment well but some do so sooner and more dramatically than others. Either should be more consistent both in terms of accuracy and wounding potential than M193 and I can say that the Black Hills versions also have little muzzle flash as well. It's only negative is cost, but the Black Hills stuff really isn't all that expensive with all things considered.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Coolness Ive reloaded Pistol ammo for years?
Maybe it would be worth while to buy  223Dies and load up some 68/69bthp?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
My favorite load.

Hornady 68gr BTHP match RLDR 15 powder.

Book lists ~3000 fps for max load.

Extremely accurate out of my 1/9s. I love this bullet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Checking on some reloading myself -what powder
weight did you start at-end up at??THX
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top