Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 132 of 145)
Page / 145
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maxicon:
I have an old Armalite A4 upper that I've dug out of the archives and would like to make into an A4 clone, and was about to pull the trigger on a set of M5 handguards.  The KAC site warns about bigger profile barrels not fitting without mods, so I pulled the handguards, and it looks like an HBAR under there.

Is this going to be a problem with the M5?  In front of the FSB, it's 0.72"; behind the FSB it's 0.87" all the way back until it flares before the barrel nut.  I'm doing this on a bit of a budget, using parts from the spares boxes, and would rather not get into a new barrel if this one will work.

https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/Armalite_A4_no-handguards_01a.JPG
https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/Armalite_A4_no-handguards_02a.JPG

This is a California gun, and I've had to pull the flash hider to make it featureless, so if anyone has a suggestion for a brake that wouldn't look too out of place, that would be great.
View Quote

Would a Vltor compensator be legal?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

It was designed to fit barrels that are .845" behind the FSB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It was designed to fit barrels that are .845" behind the FSB.

Thanks - that's what I needed.  You may have saved me $200 and a muzzle heavy musket.  I'm thinking I'll revert to the classic plastic handguard version for now.
Here's all they say on the KAC website, which at least got me thinking about it:
Lighter barrel profiles work best (Government contours). Heavier barrel contours may require modification to the inside of the rail.

Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Would a Vltor compensator be legal?

No good; it reduces flash per their marketing blurb. AWZ1287's link to this is looking like just the thing, though, and AIM specifically states that it's Cali legal, which is helpful for those of us who worry about such things.  Here's hoping it won't direct too much concussion to the side:
Similar to A2 style brake, the open top slots and closed bottom increase muzzle control and reduce dust signature making it compliant with California Featureless laws. The end is also blocked to reduce recoil. 1/2" x 28 threads .223/ 5.56 compatible. *This device will not reduce or remove flash.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 86HMMWV] [#3]
I have an old Armalite A4 upper that I've dug out of the archives and would like to make into an A4 clone, and was about to pull the trigger on a set of M5 handguards.  The KAC site warns about bigger profile barrels not fitting without mods, so I pulled the handguards, and it looks like an HBAR under there.

Is this going to be a problem with the M5?  In front of the FSB, it's 0.72"; behind the FSB it's 0.87" all the way back until it flares before the barrel nut.  I'm doing this on a bit of a budget, using parts from the spares boxes, and would rather not get into a new barrel if this one will work.

https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/Armalite_A4_no-handguards_01a.JPG
https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/Armalite_A4_no-handguards_02a.JPG

This is a California gun, and I've had to pull the flash hider to make it featureless, so if anyone has a suggestion for a brake that wouldn't look too out of place, that would be great.
View Quote

I have that very barrel on my first A4 clone (complete ArmaLite build), and my KAC RAS fits just as it should.

ETA:

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I built another one tonight, pics soon. I really need to find old worn parts to complete the look the new barrel upper and lower look off used a salty m5, m961, and colt stock. Pics soon its too dark now.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Apexgunparts has Colt a4 uppers. Plastic handguards. 579 before shipping.
LINK
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Knightzone:
Apexgunparts has Colt a4 uppers. Plastic handguards. 579 before shipping.
LINK
View Quote

Just FYI - "NO rear sight, charging handle, bolt carrier assembly or carry handle."
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 86HMMWV:

I have that very barrel on my first A4 clone (complete ArmaLite build), and my KAC RAS fits just as it should.

ETA:
https://i.ibb.co/hdXtBZR/4-E236533-3-A29-4-F14-9-C9-E-9-BB84-E4959-A1.jpg
View Quote

Heh!  Looks like the build is back on.  I've got the carry handle, a Matech, a stock, but won't be able to put a normal pistol grip on it due to Cali steppers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Heh!  Looks like the build is back on.  I've got the carry handle, a Matech, a stock, but won't be able to put a normal pistol grip on it due to Cali steppers.
View Quote

Very good barrel, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:50:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AWZ1287] [#10]
Received my larue mount I ordered from ebay. They sent me a LT622SDO-A, Instead of the LT799. I was originally looking for the 622 so I am happy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: he still has more left if anyone is looking for one.

Larue LT799
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I really need to get off my butt and get this 80% lower milled out!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AWZ1287:
Received my larue mount I ordered from ebay. They sent me a LT622SDO-A, Instead of the LT799. I was originally looking for the 622 so I am happy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/469589/16086485253274322656663211088968_jpg-1742970.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/469589/16086485821582771592037483852829_jpg-1742972.JPG

ETA: he still has more left if anyone is looking for one.

Larue LT799
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on that, just picked up one for myself. I tried searching for a little more info, what's the difference between the 799 and the 622? Both would be "correct" for an RCO-A4 ACOG I would assume right?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ringer706:

Thanks for the heads up on that, just picked up one for myself. I tried searching for a little more info, what's the difference between the 799 and the 622? Both would be "correct" for an RCO-A4 ACOG I would assume right?
View Quote

I have yet to find any real answers to that same question.  I even posted a thread in the LaRue forum but got no replies.  

Having had both, I can tell you that the differences are minor.  The locking lugs on the bottom side are in different places, the sides of the mount are a little more rounded on one versus the other - little things like that.  No major differences that I could tell.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#14]
my A4 is love......580yds isnt even a problem

:)
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

https://i.ibb.co/cFLcXgj/IMG-20201228-153505847-HDR.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/zPrm3Gj/IMG-20201228-133654848.jpg

View Quote

Very clear glass...good picture.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
that was just a quick one, and online kills clarity. the ACOG is simply perfect For an M16
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]

https://i.ibb.co/cFLcXgj/IMG-20201228-153505847-HDR.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/zPrm3Gj/IMG-20201228-133654848.jpg

View Quote

That is a nice looking 1903.

Dan
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:

That is a nice looking 1903.

Dan
View Quote

It is, but I'm also interested at what's peeking out of the case on the right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]

It is, but I'm also interested at what's peeking out of the case on the right.
View Quote

OFF TOPIC: ohhh, nuthin much....just a 223 howa that ADCO did an OPS contour for my AEM5

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]

OFF TOPIC: ohhh, nuthin much....just a 223 howa that ADCO did an OPS contour for my AEM5

https://i.ibb.co/CP0yTpk/IMG-20201228-142514381-HDR.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#21]
what range is  that ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Time to zero tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:15:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordanit] [#24]
Is it more correct to leave the top rail covers on or off? I've heard people say that they are liable to melt under heavy use. Although I have seen pictures of the covers on in the "in field" pictures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#25]
People here will tell you that the top cover should be left off to allow the barrel and gas tube to vent / cool more effectively. I have never heard that once in the Army in reference to either M16s or M4s. When I was carrying an A4, I had rail panels on the entire thing because I thought you were supposed to have them on to protect the rails from damage. I'd be curious to know if it was ever addressed in an updated TM, PM magazine, or other military pub. Nowadays, people leave them of their M4s completely to make the handguard skinnier and because they don't want to be bothered to put them on. It's not surprising that Soldiers and Marines wouldn't know about leaving the top covers off, if that's what KAC or anyone else recommends. I'm just saying that almost no one in the military has heard that.

I can appreciate the concept of allowing the rifle to cool more effectively, but the M5 RAS is long with a lot of vent holes in it. I think the practical effect of leaving the covers off is probably minimal, unless you're trying to burn the barrel down with repeated magazine dumps on burst. To answer your question, as you said, most photos show people with covers on the top - sometimes both, sometimes just the rear one, and sometimes the front one. About 10% of the photos of have show no covers on the top. So if you're going for the "look" of a 2000s era A4, I'd suggest putting at least the rear top cover on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:07:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxicon] [#26]
The KAC RAS installation manual says to cover all unused rail space to protect the rail surfaces and to protect the user's hands, for what that's worth.  I left the top covers off of mine because it's already pretty front heavy; every little bit helps.

KAC RAS installation instructions
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's the state of my budget/parts box Cali legal build.  I just got the Shark handguards on, and had to tweak them a bit to fit on the Armalite HBAR.  It's still a work in progress as the budget rebuilds.

Armalite 20" HBAR upper, Eotech 552 and Matech BUIS (can't afford an ACOG, lol!), old Fab10 blind magwell lower with an A2 stock, and a BFG SOC-C contractor pak sling.

I still need a better looking muzzle device (no flash hiders allowed), swap the Ergo grip for an A2 style, and a real lower (which will require losing the pistol grip, alas).  The old school front sling loop in my sling pak was shortened by the guy I got it from, so I may switch to a Specter, though I like the position of the DD qc connection.  I'm thinking about getting the barrel re-profiled, because this is a front-heavy bugger.

The M5 didn't fit on the HBAR, as suspected, but it just took a few minutes with a Dremel to open it up.

Here's the part that wouldn't fit over the barrel.  The steel didn't feel like it would be too flexible, so I didn't whack it with a rubber mallet due to worry about cracking it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's the state of my budget/parts box Cali legal build.  I just got the Shark handguards on, and had to tweak them a bit to fit on the Armalite HBAR.  It's still a work in progress as the budget rebuilds.

Armalite 20" HBAR upper, Eotech 552 and Matech BUIS (can't afford an ACOG, lol!), old Fab10 blind magwell lower with an A2 stock, and a BFG SOC-C contractor pak sling.

I still need a better looking muzzle device (no flash hiders allowed), swap the Ergo grip for an A2 style, and a real lower (which will require losing the pistol grip, alas).  The old school front sling loop in my sling pak was shortened by the guy I got it from, so I may switch to a Specter, though I like the position of the DD qc connection.  I'm thinking about getting the barrel re-profiled, because this is a front-heavy bugger.
https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/Armalite-A4_KAC-M5_rev1b.JPG

The M5 didn't fit on the HBAR, as suspected, but it just took a few minutes with a Dremel to open it up.

Here's the part that wouldn't fit over the barrel.  The steel didn't feel like it would be too flexible, so I didn't whack it with a rubber mallet due to worry about cracking it.
https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/KAC-M5_IMG_4663a.JPG

https://maxicon.com/guns/ar/KAC-M5_IMG_4666a.JPG
View Quote

They may have changed their barrel dimensions in recent years. Mine was considered medium contour back when I bought it in 2010, and an un-modified RAS fits over it with no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#29]

They may have changed their barrel dimensions in recent years. Mine was considered medium contour back when I bought it in 2010, and an un-modified RAS fits over it with no issues whatsoever.
View All Quotes

This was from back in 2007, and I didn't know much about ARs at the time (still learning!), but they had a huge sale blowing out all kinds of uppers and other gear.  There was a feeding frenzy over at calguns, as we were just beginning to work around the Cali AW laws and build some ARs.

The description didn't include any details about the barrel diameter, but I didn't care - it was an Armalite upper with BCG and CH for $350!  I'm guessing this configuration wasn't selling as well as they hoped, with the 1:9 twist and heavy barrel.

From the original sale:
The M-15A4BA2 Complete Upper Assembly features a double lapped, chrome lined barrel. The Picatinny Rail on the upper receiver allow rapid and repeatable interchange of removable iron or scope sights, complete with A2 front sight.
Each ArmaLite Complete Upper Assembly includes a forged upper receiver assembly, barrel assembly, bolt carrier group and charging handle assembly. All complete upper assemblies are test fired as complete rifles before shipping.
Model: M-15A4BA2 Complete Upper Assembly with Black Handguard
Caliber: .223
Barrel: 20" Double Lapped, Chrome Lined
Rifling Twist: RH 1:9"
Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor
Front Sight Base: A2 Front Sight Assembly
Upper Receiver: Forged Flattop with Picatinny Rail
Finish: Hard Anodized Aluminum, Manganese Phosphated Steel
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]
ACOG TA31RCO-A4 in stock at Midway for $1,150 shipped.

ACOG
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:

3. I would like to have something clone-correct engraved on the lower (it was an 80%er) but I don’t want “Property of US Gov’t” on there for personal reasons. Is there a manufacturer with a roll mark that would be right without that?

View Quote

Well it really wouldn’t be clone correct w/o the “Property of” line. I’d just leave it as it is since it looks awesome.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:17:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know for sure whether USGI M16A4s have either

always had metal trapdoors

always had plastic trapdoors

or early had metal trapdoors and later had plastic trapdoors (and an approximate date of the switch)?

I'm not talking about any commercially sold rifles. Not looking for assumptions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:

Thank you!
Was there never a manufacturer who had engraving/rollmark without the "US Govt" reference? It seems like some of the M16A2 lowers were used in A4 assemblies and didn't have that nomenclature? I'd like to have something done that's accurate but without that portion included. If not, I might just end up with a Mattel logo.
View Quote

I don’t believe there’s were any A4s that didn’t have the “property of” line, but I suppose it might’ve been possible that the limited number of COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) purchase M16A2 carbines could’ve been converted into an A4.

Here’s an image of some from Google image searches:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#36]
DSG has TA-31RCOA4's in stock:

https://dsgarms.com/magnified-optics-tri100226
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone know of a manual or video on how to actually set
up and use the blue force gear. Just doesnt seem to fit me right
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#38]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Anyone know of a manual or video on how to actually set
up and use the blue force gear. Just doesnt seem to fit me right
View Quote

How to Attach a Vickers Sling to a HK M27 IAR

Not sure why they’re using an HK27 but that vid may give you an idea. If not, here’s a PDF w/ instructions
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I have it attached. Just seems like the adjustments are weird. I cant make a hastly sling easily nor does it fit well in the loose mode. Maybe I have it slung wrong
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Done for now. Shoot great I can't believe I waited so long to get a 20"
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:05:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#41]
Originally Posted By Dark_zero_x:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/441360/20210123_173917_jpg-1793677.JPG

View Quote
Looks great. I'm in the same boat. Been cloning the small guys, now looking to clone the big boys. Ibe got my eyes peeled for a complete upper at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:39:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joelad] [#42]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

From a bunch of pictures I just looked at, I didn't see a single BUIS w/ an RCO.

Who the hell even used the USMC rears?  

It's hilarious to see how many carry handles are mounted under the RAS LOL - guess dudes didn't quite trust the acog yet.
View All Quotes
Early a4's, what is more correct...USMC marked KAC or matech?

USMC KAC would be late. I'm not knowledgeable about USMC but did they even use the Matech? Nothing or a carry handle on the handguard would probably be best for "early".

From a bunch of pictures I just looked at, I didn't see a single BUIS w/ an RCO.

Who the hell even used the USMC rears?  

It's hilarious to see how many carry handles are mounted under the RAS LOL - guess dudes didn't quite trust the acog yet.

I'm former active duty USMC. My bet is the carry handles are bolted to the lower since Marines were thratened with charges if they lost them.

My pics on page 1 disappeared. Damned Photobucket. I'll update this post with current pics when I get home in the AM.

ETA: My M16A4gery.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dark_zero_x:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/441360/20210123_173917_jpg-1793677.JPG

View Quote
Looking good, I like the look of that m68 on there.  I got one laying around, might have to put it on my m16a4.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#44]
ACOG finally showed up, so for now at least I'm going to call the build done. It's an RCO-M4 instead of the A4, but the deal was far too good to pass up and I'll share it with my M4A1 build so good enough. Otherwise, it's an FN contract upper with FN BCG and charging handle, and Knight's marked M5 RAS, VFG, and USMC marked rear sight. Lower is an 80% with a custom UID tag from Carolina Laser Works, FN A2 buttstock assembly and some no-name LPK. Sling is the VCAS NSN sling with M16 adapter and the mount is a surplus LaRue LT622SDO-A. Also have an issued/surplus OKC-3S for it as well.

My goal was to capture a "last standard issue" M16A4 from around 2015-ish. I know it's being utilized in all branches still today, but when the USMC started phasing them out of standard issue service in 2015 in favor of the M4, it marked the end of the M16 lineage. My collection is geared heavily towards full-size standard issue rifles throughout the years so building this to be a sort of last call on the M16 felt appropriate. The only thing I'm unsure on is the light. I had an old M962 kit laying around so I figured why not, but other than the PEQ-16A, what other lights were issued/in common use around 2012-2015?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#45]
ACOG finally showed up, so for now at least I'm going to call the build done. It's an RCO-M4 instead of the A4, but the deal was far too good to pass up and I'll share it with my M4A1 build so good enough. Otherwise, it's an FN contract upper with FN BCG and charging handle, and Knight's marked M5 RAS, VFG, and USMC marked rear sight. Lower is an 80% with a custom UID tag from Carolina Laser Works, FN A2 buttstock assembly and some no-name LPK. Sling is the VCAS NSN sling with M16 adapter and the mount is a surplus LaRue LT622SDO-A. Also have an issued/surplus OKC-3S for it as well.

My goal was to capture a "last standard issue" M16A4 from around 2015-ish. I know it's being utilized in all branches still today, but when the USMC started phasing them out of standard issue service in 2015 in favor of the M4, it marked the end of the M16 lineage. My collection is geared heavily towards full-size standard issue rifles throughout the years so building this to be a sort of last call on the M16 felt appropriate. The only thing I'm unsure on is the light. I had an old M962 kit laying around so I figured why not, but other than the PEQ-16A, what other lights were issued/in common use around 2012-2015?

https://i.imgur.com/oapquaZ.jpg
View Quote

I like that idea!  I had a USMC-marked KAC rear sight but sold it due to not really seeing any used in conjunction with the ACOG when I looked back through the real-world pics in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By officerX:

I like that idea!  I had a USMC-marked KAC rear sight but sold it due to not really seeing any used in conjunction with the ACOG when I looked back through the real-world pics in this thread.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By officerX:

To be honest, I've seen mostly the same, though I do have a few news photos where they're visible. If anything, it seems like the ACOG was usually on the standard acorn-nut mount than a LaRue, though again, there's examples of both.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#47]

100yds rezero from mount change :)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Creature] [#48]

View Quote
Beautiful rifle.

But it looks like it needs a fat F-marked MIL grip, not that skinny commercial grip.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Colt-F-marked-A2-pistol-grips-12-00-Taupe-and-OD-available-now-/25-2023486/
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Creature:
Beautiful rifle.

But it looks like it needs a fat F-marked MIL grip, not that skinny commercial grip.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Colt-F-marked-A2-pistol-grips-12-00-Taupe-and-OD-available-now-/25-2023486/
View Quote

D'oh! You caught me, it's about the only non-FN/issued part on the gun. I was looking at one of those, but I was also wondering if FN was using the same A2-eqse grip from the SCAR 16/17's when they were supplying lowers/rifles to the military. I was looking at this guy.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/888656380

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By js1977:
Looking good, I like the look of that m68 on there.  I got one laying around, might have to put it on my m16a4.
View Quote

I wanted a USMC and an Army build so it worked out.
Page / 145
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 132 of 145)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top