Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/22/2008 1:55:16 PM EST
I posted a while back to get some opinions on whether to cut an old GI 20" bbl to carbine length or sell/trade it. I decided I should do some more research before making a decision. I used the "Colt USGI M16 series variation guide Edition IV" at the top of the page as a guide to look for markings. After about an hour, the only markings I could find were on the bbl at 6 o'clock, about an 1 1/2" aft of the bbl threads. Markings were "S" "MP" and "C". The FSB looks like it could be a casting. It has a round sight post and a triangular handguard cap. Upon closer inspection, it look like the bbl may not have been installed. The bbl nut teeth are very clean with what looks like no wear between them, just on the tops. There appears to be zero finish wear on the bbl extension lugs and the chamber (chromed) looks like it's not had a round in it. Other than some handling/storage scratches, the external Park'd finish on the bbl is very good. As I said in my earlier posting, I picked this bbl up a long time ago, along with a well-used slickside upper. I know the MP stands for magnetic particle tested and the C indicates a chrome chamber. What do I have? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:20:22 PM EST
regular barrel with a chrome chamber
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:49:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 3:51:00 PM EST by Strela]

Originally Posted By ranchhand:

"Regular barrel?" Thanks Capt. Obvious. What manufacturer? When? Twist?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:54:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Strela:

Well, I was going to try to help you out on this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:55:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 3:57:18 PM EST by bassackwards]

I thought you looked at the variation guide It's a Colt, they only came in 1 twist and the guide says around '67
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:59:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By DM1975:

Well, I was going to try to help you out on this.

I'm sorry if you thought I was harsh with the initial responder, but seeing this is internet communication I wasn't able to detect any nuances in his response. I posed a serious question with all the information I had and his response was "a regular barrel with chrome chamber." I believed his response to be rather flippant, and if I misinterpreted it, I apologize. As I said, I tried to do some research and thanks to this forum, I knew what the "MP" and "C" stood for. It was actually the "S" marking that threw me off. If this was mentioned in the Guide as a Colt mark then I missed it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:03:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By bassackwards:

I thought you looked at the variation guide It's a Colt, they only came in 1 twist and the guide says around '67

I did look at the guide, but I must have overlooked the part where the "S" was also identified as a Colt mark. I thought the Colt barrels only carried a "C." Thank you for the correct information.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:05:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By bassackwards:

I did look at the guide, but I must have overlooked the part where the "S" was also identified as a Colt mark. I thought the Colt barrels only carried a "C." Thank you for the correct information.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:54 PM EST

The FSB looks like it could be a casting.

I'm not Cpt. Obvious or anything, but if the FSB is cast the word "up" & the arrow will be raised above the surface. If it is forged the same will be stamped (below the surface) into the FSB.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:06:45 PM EST
Thank you. The letters are not raised, so that's another piece of the puzzle. According to the Guide, Colt barrels appear to be marked in a number of areas (extension, barrel breach, near the muzzle, etc.) Since I could not find any Colt markings anywhere, I wasn't sure if it was an Armalite or H&R or something else bbl.

As I said earlier, the "Capt. Obvious" was in response to what I perceived as a sarcastic answer to a serious question. Since I had described the barrel as having a chrome chamber and it being so marked, it seemed to me that the responder was being flippant by telling me I had a "regular" bbl and chrome chamber. Again, if I misinterpreted things, I apologize to all who may be offended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:23:37 PM EST

Thank you. The letters are not raised, so that's another piece of the puzzle.

As I said earlier, the "Capt. Obvious" was in response to what I perceived as a sarcastic answer to a serious question.

So it is a Forged FSB.

I know what you meant, if you'll notice the in my post, that is sarcasm. I was merely trying make a joke of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:47:06 PM EST
You mean the barrel is marked S MP C on the bottom near the flash suppresor?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:42:52 AM EST
That's it exactly. The markings are hard to see, but if you hold a flashlight and illuminate the markings at a slight angle they are pretty clear--S MP C.
Top Top