BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 10:27:09 AM EDT
Hello this is my first post so here goes

Can a M16 BC be milled at the rear to the AR15 BC dimensions
I have read the M16 BC legality post and that is just a mess of information
I know it says it's legal to use the BC but I would rather be cautious.

I'm asking because i ordered one of the buffer tech M16 uppers and i don't want
to order an AR15 BC I would just rather keep the BC and mill it if possible.

sorry if this question is stupid
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used a dremel to cut one. It's pretty easy and I just cold blued the cut area.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Just cut some off the "trip" area and have a nice day.    The material  is rather had though, I had a M16 carrier cut about a year ago.  The fella even bored the hole(s)  to allow the insertion of the weight that is used in the 9mm bolt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
wow that was quick
well that sounds good to me thanks fellas
happy shooting
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Why screw up a perfectly good bolt carrier?  If you're paranoid enough you should just sell it and get an actual AR15 BC.  It's not like it'll save your ass from the ATF IF in the highly unlikely event that they do trouble you over it; afterall they're the ones that said once a machinegun, always a machinegun, using the same "logic", once a M16 bolt, always a M16 bolt?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Well does the M16 BC have M16 Stamped on it?

If not then what's the difference between the M16 BC and the RRA enhanced BC?
I imagine that RRA just milled an M16 BC or am i wrong?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't jack with it - you could end up with an expensive paperweight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why screw up a perfectly good bolt carrier?  If you're paranoid enough you should just sell it and get an actual AR15 BC.  It's not like it'll save your ass from the ATF IF in the highly unlikely event that they do trouble you over it; afterall they're the ones that said once a machinegun, always a machinegun, using the same "logic", once a M16 bolt, always a M16 bolt?

+1

If anything trade it in the Equipment Exchange.  Your emailbox should be full in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey dumbass dont mess with your legal carrier.  The part that makes it illegal is if they can get it to double thus if it has a covered firing pin ramp it could be construed as illgal which makes ALL RRA enhanced fire control parts illegal!  Also the use of ANY hammer from a match rifle that does not have the notch to jam up your rifle (thats ALL MATCG triggers BTW) if  the disconnector is pulled makes it capable of doubling so thats illegal too.

I am not bullshitting you. Deviating from the notched hammer and unramped carrier will cause a double if you try enough times.  If it doubles once, just once, the ATF can call it a machinegun and put you on trial.  Now.... any idiot soccer mom can tell that having a single shot AR that you have to manually charge like 10 times to ge tit to double once is NOT a damned machinegun and you will get off after your lawer explains shit and you get on the stand.  However, if your that big of a damned pussy dont mill back your M16 carrier and be sure to only use the crappiest notched hammer and exposed firing pin to stay "in ATF reccomended spec" and just dont try to use your rifle for defense since its not going to lock up if you have an issue with the extractor.

Besides its better to get shot and give up your posessions and let your loved ones be raped or killed than to defend yourself because youd have to PROVE self defense and its safer to just be robbed and not have the police misinterpertet your actions right?  Thats the logic your using.  I mean thats the kind of slack jawwed fa... Oh never mind I give up on you limp wristers.  I say dont get an AR at all and take your Volvo to work and just buy more pocket protectors for your collection.

How do you think your going to get in troble when I YELL OUT LOUD AND WRITE  THE ATF I AM USING AN M16 CARRIER!!?!?!!??? Do you not think its the easiest bust of all time if it were illegal?  I show it to every cop who pulls me over and even show them the M16 carrier and TELL THEM its an M16 carrier an noone cares!  If your so paranoid just dont discuss it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Great thanks for tearing me a new ass
I guess just because I would rather not get in trouble because i'm a law abiding gun owner
I must be a pussy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey dumbass dont mess with your legal carrier.  The part that makes it illegal is if they can get it to double thus if it has a covered firing pin ramp it could be construed as illgal which makes ALL RRA enhanced fire control parts illegal!  Also the use of ANY hammer from a match rifle that does not have the notch to jam up your rifle (thats ALL MATCG triggers BTW) if  the disconnector is pulled makes it capable of doubling so thats illegal too.

I am not bullshitting you. Deviating from the notched hammer and unramped carrier will cause a double if you try enough times.  If it doubles once, just once, the ATF can call it a machinegun and put you on trial.  Now.... any idiot soccer mom can tell that having a single shot AR that you have to manually charge like 10 times to ge tit to double once is NOT a damned machinegun and you will get off after your lawer explains shit and you get on the stand.  However, if your that big of a damned pussy dont mill back your M16 carrier and be sure to only use the crappiest notched hammer and exposed firing pin to stay "in ATF reccomended spec" and just dont try to use your rifle for defense since its not going to lock up if you have an issue with the extractor.

Besides its better to get shot and give up your posessions and let your loved ones be raped or killed than to defend yourself because youd have to PROVE self defense and its safer to just be robbed and not have the police misinterpertet your actions right?  Thats the logic your using.  I mean thats the kind of slack jawwed fa... Oh never mind I give up on you limp wristers.  I say dont get an AR at all and take your Volvo to work and just buy more pocket protectors for your collection.

How do you think your going to get in troble when I YELL OUT LOUD AND WRITE  THE ATF I AM USING AN M16 CARRIER!!?!?!!??? Do you not think its the easiest bust of all time if it were illegal?  I show it to every cop who pulls me over and even show them the M16 carrier and TELL THEM its an M16 carrier an noone cares!  If your so paranoid just dont discuss it.

How do you really feel about it?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an M16 BC in my Colt SP1

I also tampered with the smog control components on a car I had 20 years ago.

And when I really choose to live 'on the edge' ........

I tear off those tags on a new mattress that states " remove only under penalty of law"

I am a real modern day rebel  ( just ask me )  

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I tear off those tags on a new mattress that states " remove only under penalty of law"

Oh thank goodness I thought I was the only one that removed the tags on the matresses. I kept expecting the BMTB (Bureau of Matress Tags and Bedding) to come beat down my door at any time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

If anything trade it in the Equipment Exchange.  Your emailbox should be full in 10 minutes.

I'll trade right F'ing now. No B.S. IM me. I've got an RRA with less than 200 rounds on it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I guess just because I would rather not get in trouble because i'm a law abiding gun owner
I must be a pussy.

Look man I dont mean to be a dick but there are people who wont own or carry an AR15 because the police or someone might not like it.  I say thats crap... if something is legal dont give up your rights just because its not PC or some idiot might not know the law.  Hold on to your rights becasue they are precious!  Hell I dont want to run an AR15 carrier just on principal alone!  

I carry assault rilfes over to friends houses and apartment not in "discrete cary cases" but out in the open or slung over my shoulder.  I do this because I CAN.  Do police question me at times?  Of course but I dont go to jail because I explain the law and come across as a nice guy and law abiding citizen (I am not such a major ass in real life like I am here) so I get my rifle returned and continue to drive around with it and carry it in the open and smile and say hi to the neighbors.  If we all hide in the closet our hobby will never be accepted by the mainstream.  EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!  Use your M16 carrier.... and show it off to people at the range and explain why its legal... if your paranoid use the M16 carrier and dont tell anyone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Your not a dick your just blunt im the same way most of the time.

It's just frustrating that the "Authorties" won't give us a definate awnswer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey dumbass dont mess with your legal carrier.  

Nice.  DevL - I think you are starting to swirl the bowl.  Way to go.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I must be a pussy.

Dont listen to them ROUGH.  It's your damn carrier, and you can do what you freaking want with it.  We DONT need to REHASH the same onld thread that has been around since the dark ages.  You read it, you made your conclusions.... so all we can do is help you answer your question.  People seem to forget that.  

Can a M16 BC be milled at the rear to the AR15 BC dimensions

Yes. It can.  If you have access to a mill, thats the nicest way.  If not, a grinder or a dremel will do fine.  You cannot screw it up... I imagine if you did a horrible job, it will still function just fine.... you are only removing metal in a non-critical or used-for-any-function area, other then weight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replys fellas, but I already have something in the works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#19]

+10

I wouldn't hesitate to run a M16 carrier, after reading Steve's post.

Do what you feel is right. That doesn't make you a pussy.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I was thinking about ordering one of those uppers my self do you have it yet?....  How's the quality, whats the finnish like, and hows the bore?....  Did it come with handgaurds, and is it really a surplus M-16A1 upper?....  Also how was the company, good service, did they deliver on time?....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I have not recieved it yet but, Buffer Tech told me that they have minimal throat errosion and the color is closer to black than grey with minor handling wear.

No handguards.

They said they came from the MO State Patrol who got them from the Boarder Patrol Who got them from the ARMY.

The company is good and the guys on the phone were very helpfull.

I orderd it on monday and I was told it should be here by friday.

They also said they only have the GI3 uppers left in stock and those only come with the colt internal parts which is an extra $25.00

The total is $310.00 including $10.00 shipping.

If you want one You better hurry I don't think they have many in stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Just remember its not ATF reccomended AR15 spec if it has a covered firing pin ramp.  That is a full auto capable carrier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just remember its not ATF reccomended AR15 spec if it has a covered firing pin ramp.  That is a full auto capable carrier.

Which is incapable of full auto fire on a semi-auto lower.

I have an M16 flash hider on my 20". Does that make it a machine gun? nope. Neither does an M16 bolt group.  Bolt group is not FCG goup. The FCG is what is verboten.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#24]
on the firing-pin ramp and other severe carrier-neutering techniques being ATF required...

That's like saying Colt's 'Sear Block' is ATF required...

ALL you have to is cut the front edge of the rear of the carrier a little bit back so that it will not time right....

For more info on carriers, go HERE
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Wrong.  The ATF can pull your disconnector and the gun is capable of doubling which is a full auto.  Its not the sear trip which allows this its the covered firing pin ramp.  I mean I already know its legal but this is what you must do to prevent a double in an AR... un covered firing pin and propper notched hammer.  Otherwise it CAN double if you try enough and even one double is a machinegun according to the written word of the law.  Any idiot knows thats a mulfunctioning and broken rifle but thats what the law says... this is why we have jury trials of our peers.  M16 is legal but if you wont run an M16 you are not "SAFE" unless your rifle cant double.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Its not the sear trip which allows this its the covered firing pin ramp.  

Not arguing... but I do find it interesting that RRA has switched, and now is no longer machining this area shrouding the firing pin for their AR15 rifles and uppers:

LINK
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its not the sear trip which allows this its the covered firing pin ramp.  

Not arguing... but I do find it interesting that RRA has switched, and now is no longer machining this area shrouding the firing pin for their AR15 rifles and uppers:

LINK

Also, I suspect, DPMS.  At any rate, the DPMS lower assy I bought last year came with an un notched hammer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top