Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
Anyone have any advice on where I could buy a new M16A2 clone upper?

I don't care about the maker of the upper or bbl so long as they are quality.

I just want a standard A2 upper, 20" bbl, 1/7, bayo lug, FH...yadda, yadda. An M16A2 clone. I want to build one for nostalgia. It is what I fired in the military. I have not had any luck finding a new production upper like that.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:09:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 6:10:08 AM EDT by theshootersden]
Run a WTB add in the EE section... One of the many ARFCOM Industry Partners/Dealers will help you out...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:12:55 AM EDT
The closest that you could possibly get to a military-issue Colt M16A2 would be a genuine Colt M16A2 parts set. These can be bought and put on a semi-auto Colt lower receiver.

Scroll down the page:

www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

9th item down is a new Colt M16A2 upper.

16th item down is an as new Colt M16A2 upper.

21st item down is a complete Colt M16A2 parts set.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 6:41:12 AM EDT by Zarathustra1]

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
The closest that you could possibly get to a military-issue Colt M16A2 would be a genuine Colt M16A2 parts set. These can be bought and put on a semi-auto Colt lower receiver.

Scroll down the page:

www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

9th item down is a new Colt M16A2 upper.

16th item down is an as new Colt M16A2 upper.

21st item down is a complete Colt M16A2 parts set.

Great link. That is exactly what I was looking for. I had seen that site a long time ago but had forgotten about it.

So, is there a pin size issue with these uppers? Can I not use them on a non-Colt lower? Can I throw in a regular semi-auto bolt carrier and bolt?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 7:00:08 AM EDT by M4Madness]

Originally Posted By Zarathustra1:
So, is there a pin size issue with these uppers?

Not unless you are putting them on a large-pivot Colt lower.

Can I use them on a non-Colt lower?

Yeah, as they are all mil-spec small-pivot.

Can I throw in a regular semi-auto bolt carrier and bolt?

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:28:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4Madness:

Originally Posted By Zarathustra1:
So, is there a pin size issue with these uppers?

Not unless you are putting them on a large-pivot Colt lower.

Can I use them on a non-Colt lower?

Yeah, as they are all mil-spec small-pivot.

Can I throw in a regular semi-auto bolt carrier and bolt?

Yep.

Sounds good. I will be using an Ameetec lower, so the finishes won't match, but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:24:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 9:32:09 AM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]
Man, that's expensive! If you want to save some money I think Tannery Shop has A2 uppers with A2 profile barrels, I think he had a whole kit for about $500.
From Tannery Shops web site:

20" E2 Pre-Ban W/A2 1 in 7 Barrel Kit Forged A2 upper or Flattop upper, E2 round handguards, A2 trapdoor stock, 1 in 7 twist chrome-lined A2 barrel (heavy from front sight base forward, and lightweight under handguards), Forged front sight, Bayonet lug, Flash suppressor

SALE PRICE ................................ 470.00
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 10:17:00 AM EDT by boltcatch]
It isn't too expensive when you consider what you are getting, if you're looking to build an M16A2 clone. I have an A2 built on take-off parts and it's my favorite, not to mention most accurate, rifle.

I got a good deal when CDNN had the A2 uppers for $400, minus the bolt carrier group, and a complete A2 stock assembly for something like $30. If they ever offer them again I'm jumping on another one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:45:30 PM EDT
Zarathustra,

You & me both. Building one now, but small pause while I build my stripped lower as a straight-pull pistol, then into an SA A3 clone - I need the trigger time.

Some parts from Model 1 Sales @ the gunshows, unknown used upper, M-16 bolt :) 1/7 bbls are tough to find - tread the boards, a few posts here & there offer clues. Will be as close as I can get to worst-case issued inaccuracy w/out spending $4000+ on the full auto sear.

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:33:34 PM EDT
www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1197

M & A Parts. A2 kit for $525. A2 receiver, 20", 1/7, chrome lined, Gov't profile. I got the same kit with a flat top receiver (A4gery) and it matched my RRA lower perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 9:34:25 PM EDT by cz75fan]
Although their online catalog doesn't show a complete upper, I'd bet Bushmaster could put something together for you. They have the correct barrel available. Oops, sorry I wasn't thinking. I guess this barrel isn't exactly correct, it's probably 1/9 twist instead of 1/7.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:40:40 AM EDT
Money wise, you can save by going with:

Bushmaster

Sabre Defense

CMMG

or AR15Barrels.com.

I think you can also get a complete (genuine) M16A2 upper from SAW (specialized armament warehouse)

If it were my money, I'd get the A3 upper and build myself a USMC copy.

Fitting tribute to the badasses in our Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:15:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cz75fan:
Although their online catalog doesn't show a complete upper, I'd bet Bushmaster could put something together for you. They have the correct barrel available. Oops, sorry I wasn't thinking. I guess this barrel isn't exactly correct, it's probably 1/9 twist instead of 1/7.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl-20a2a.jpg

Bushmaster makes this barrel in both 1/7 and 1/9

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:26:10 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:22:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scottryan:

Ya, but you've got to catch 'em when they've built a bunch of 1in7s for some contract, and have a few left over. Otherwise, it's 1in9.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:31:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:
Money wise, you can save by going with:

Bushmaster

Sabre Defense

CMMG

or AR15Barrels.com.

I think you can also get a complete (genuine) M16A2 upper from SAW (specialized armament warehouse)

If it were my money, I'd get the A3 upper and build myself a USMC copy.

Fitting tribute to the badasses in our Marine Corps.

Great idea - great info. I'll go the A3 route and quit looking for a non "f" marked FSB for my current nostalgia build.. Which aint that easy to come by for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:37:51 AM EDT
I have six M16A2 uppers with matching Colt M16 BC as they came from used demilled service rifles.

They need refinshing but are complete and Colt.

cpermd@direcway.com

CP
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:48:02 PM EDT
For the three folks that wanted me to send pics, I am working on it.
Something has locked up my email (I think it has something to do with the pics)
My email seems to be stuck in the send mode and I can't send or receive. I can't delete in the outbox either. Get a message saying it is in the process of sending. May be due to this slow ass Direcway satellite. I think if I could delete the outbox messages and start over it would work.
I am puter illiterarate and will have to ask a bud to check it out.

I do have the six M16A2 uppers and BCH for them.
The pic I tried to send was my rifle built with a Rock River lower, RR Lower PK and an A2 stock from the same M16A2 as the upper.

CP
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:45:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shamayim:

Originally Posted By scottryan:

Ya, but you've got to catch 'em when they've built a bunch of 1in7s for some contract, and have a few left over. Otherwise, it's 1in9.

gds_enterprise has them in stock
Top Top