Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 10:39:55 AM EDT
The lower doesn't look any more complicated than my 1911, but seein's how this lower is considerably more expensive, I'd like to get some instruction on disassembly and assembly. I have an exploded view of the lower. Ant help is appreciated!

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]ANY dissasembly will put some small amount of wear on your lower.

It is far less complicated than dissassembling/reassembling a 1911[/b]

If it is a M-16 A1 it should be AUTO (not burst)

1 Take off the pistol grip by loosening retaining screw inside grip (watch out so you don't lose the detent and spring on the right top of pistol grip)

2. remove the detent for safety selector (this is the part mentioned in #1

3. remove hammer (by punching out hammer pin)

4. remove trigger by removing trigger pin (watch out so you do not loose disconector spring.)

5. remove the auto sear by removing sear pin

6. remove selector by rotating while pulling to the left side of reciever

OPTIONAL:

1. remove mag catch roll pin (watch out to not loose mag catch or spring and detent) NOT RECCOMENDED UNLESS NECCASSARY THIS WILL PUT WEAR ON THE LOWER- roll pins are a bitch to install.

2.Remove the mag catch by pressing the mag catch button into the lower and uncrewing mag catch on left side of lower)

3. take a detent removal tool or glasses screw driver and push under front pivot pin detent and rotate (look out the detent and spring will fly). remove Pivot pin

4. remove stock by removing top buttplate screw and pulling off.

5. remove buffer tube (obviously AFTER removing the buffer and spring) with buffer tube wrench (BEING CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE BUFFER RETAINING PIN AND SPRING AND REAR TAKEDOWN PIN DETENT AND SPRING)

[b]YOU ARE DONE THE LOWER IS FULLY STRIPPED it goes together in reverse order of how you took it apart

A MARINE CORP M-16 ARMORERS MANUAL WILL GIVE YOU SOME DRAWINGS THAT MAY HELP BUT THEY ARE ALL DRAWINGS OF BURST PARTS IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY SO THE HELP MAY BE ONLY NOMINAL[/b]

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
GreenO,
Thank you for the 'detailed instruction! Thats exactly what I wanted, but was , er, didn't want to appear demanding.
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not download the -23 (or the -12 for the older rifle) from one of several online (FREE) sources.  Its what the military uses when repairing their rifles.  Comes with complete instructions and pictures...

Chapter 3 of the -23 should cover what you are looking for.

[url]http://www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Manual%20Depot.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top