Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2005 12:41:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 3:20:19 PM EST by die-tryin]
Im working on an Sp1 Build up and been collecting parts , more to follow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 2:24:06 PM EST
sounds like a very nice build, the price is right
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 2:40:28 PM EST
Tag for this, I can't wait.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:24:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 5:41:22 PM EST by die-tryin]

Pics to follow:

Id like to thank the following ppl for helping with this build:

Cracker Boys Outdoors - Pinellas Park , Florida (727) 520-7799 (Sp1 barrel and spare parts)
Title2 Firearms - Pickens, SC (864) 850-3579 (Stag complete lower)
CDNN - Internet Website (4x scope w/mount)
Sportsmans Guide - Internet website (M7 Bayo with OD M9 shealth)
DPMS - Internet Website (Off set bushings and A1 Buttstock Screw)

AR15 Board Members:

Medic08 (Sp1 upper)
RJsteed (Bolt/Thandle)
Boom (Ejection port cover)

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:57:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 5:41:39 PM EST by die-tryin]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:01:55 PM EST
You do understand that the only thing that can be parkerized on your build is the barrel.......right?

I only bring it up because I would hate to see your nice cheap build get destroyed, mangled or otherwise harmed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:10:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:
You do understand that the only thing that can be parkerized on your build is the barrel.......right?

I only bring it up because I would hate to see your nice cheap build get destroyed, mangled or otherwise harmed.

yeah, I corrected my post, Thanks. Im having the upper Duracoated Black to match the Stag lower.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:12:14 PM EST
That'll work a bit better for you.

Make sure you get some good before and after pics.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:46:22 PM EST
These are about the prices I can see an AR being worth. After all, they are made in LARGE QUANTITIES. I have a hard time seeing the reason in paying upwards of $700 for an AR15.

You all did well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:56:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 7:49:19 AM EST by die-tryin]

Originally Posted By AtlantaFireman:
These are about the prices I can see an AR being worth. After all, they are made in LARGE QUANTITIES. I have a hard time seeing the reason in paying upwards of $700 for an AR15.

You all did well.

Yipper, I agree. That is part of why Im goin to really like this AR, it "should" shoot as well as anything mainstream and cost awhole lot less..
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:28:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 9:01:47 AM EST by die-tryin]
Welp I started out with Zero part (meaning this budget wasnt do to parts I already had). Thru some networking and wheeling and dealing the total outa pocket for this was $273 COMPLETE Upper, Lower, Bolt, handguards, buttstock and all small parts. This didnt include the 4x scope or the Bayo ive got coming , I consider these accessories and arent part of the main build up. But for those keeping track the Bayo was 15bux and the scope was 30. Soap, im hoping to go tomorrow (sat) and site it all in an shoot up some paper. I dont expect to be any problems, the parts went together very nicely and the AR function tested perfectly.

I want to thanks those that were instrumental in this build up again. (see bold text further up this page)

as usually my digi is a POS and this was the shot outa 20. oh well.

I decided not to refinish the upper, it is a COLT m16 upper, if I ever wanna sell it , it may lose resale value do to being refinished or painted. I put CLP on the outside and inside and it helped blend the finish so its not too missmatched.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:55:04 AM EST
congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:06:26 AM EST
Congrats nice looking rifle, price is right
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:56:57 AM EST
Welp jus got back from the range. All I can say is WOW!. This thing was great. I started at 25yards to get on paper. It was actually pretty damn close. not bad for a put together AR. Once I got it on paper, I moved out to 50yards (this is indoor range, 50 is max). I only had to do minor adjustments to the front site post, it was shooting a lil high. Once that was said and done, I moved onto the lil 4x Scope. I did the same thing. started at 25yards and then moved to 50yards. It went well and im very pleased with the results. I was shooting UMC 55gr. I think off sandbags with a lil better shooter this AR could be a very good tackdriver. It shot flawlessly and I had zero issues with feeding , Jamming etc. I kept it lubed with CLP b4 even firing it. So CHEAP doesnt necessarily mean poor quality or build.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:47:36 AM EST
You did mighty fine my friend. Both pricewise and the build looks great. I'd like to build one someday. First, I have to get my C.A.R. built. That is, if my lower ever comes in.
What is that little round thing on the end of the barrel though?? Just kidding, good job
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:11:09 PM EST
I hate to be ticky about this, but I do get tired of people who have built up semi auto versions of the M16, or M16A1, calling them "SP1 clones". They are not; and you should be damn glad they are not.

The SP1 used a totally flat side lower reciever, and a two headed screw to retain it at the front end. Compared to the M16 types they are harder to get apart, and not nearly as "cool looking" (to me at least). And I've owned one for over 35 years

Actually you don't even quite have an M16 (or A1) clone, since you used a current A2 type lower, but that seems to be the easiest thing to do these days. At least you've got the push pin front.

Now call it what you want, but understand that when some of us see the header line you used, and click on the item; and then find just another milsurp M16 top end on top of a current type lower, it makes us shrug and mutter to ourselves; "Just another kid who doesn't have the faintest idea what he's talking about".

Me, I'm finishing up my conversion of a current lower to M16A1 configuration, so when it goes on the milsurp A1 upper, it'll look right. After that, I start the milling on the DPMS lower to M16 configuration (no mag release fence). Reinforced rear rings and rounded off front ends under the takedown pin lug just don't get it on an early clone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:19:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 3:21:21 PM EST by die-tryin]

Originally Posted By shamayim:
I hate to be ticky about this, but I do get tired of people who have built up semi auto versions of the M16, or M16A1, calling them "SP1 clones". They are not; and you should be damn glad they are not.

The SP1 used a totally flat side lower reciever, and a two headed screw to retain it at the front end. Compared to the M16 types they are harder to get apart, and not nearly as "cool looking" (to me at least). And I've owned one for over 35 years

Actually you don't even quite have an M16 (or A1) clone, since you used a current A2 type lower, but that seems to be the easiest thing to do these days. At least you've got the push pin front.

Now call it what you want, but understand that when some of us see the header line you used, and click on the item; and then find just another milsurp M16 top end on top of a current type lower, it makes us shrug and mutter to ourselves; "Just another kid who doesn't have the faintest idea what he's talking about".

Me, I'm finishing up my conversion of a current lower to M16A1 configuration, so when it goes on the milsurp A1 upper, it'll look right. After that, I start the milling on the DPMS lower to M16 configuration (no mag release fence). Reinforced rear rings and rounded off front ends under the takedown pin lug just don't get it on an early clone.

I know what I built and what I was goin for, jus really didnt know what to call it. I also built this rifle top to bottom under 300bux. I wasnt goin to spend 600bux plus jus tryin to get the correct lower COLT receiver. All that matters is that I like. and it shoots great. I was tryin to get as close as possible. I think I did well.

EDIT. Changed the TITLE for ya. I wouldnt wanna mislead anyone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:28:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 3:29:22 PM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By die-tryin:
Im working on an Sp1 Build up and been collecting parts , more to follow.

Oh, ya, I'm working on an M16A1 build. All I need to do is raise $14k, move to a state that will allow me to own one, file the proper paperwork with the $200 tax stamp and wait 6 months to a year for it to come back.

I'll bet you get yours done first.
Top Top