Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2011 10:01:14 AM EDT
Do any of you guys have it, and if you do could you post a pic of it behind your aimpoint/eotech?

G
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I just received the announcement from Jason the owner about it's release. I think I might pass. They want over 220 for when I can get a 4x from DM Premium optic for 160.

Great idea but I'd like to see them get out to industry reviews (military moron) for review.

MP
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
concept sounds great, but unsure for the price. i paid that much for my lucid hd7 with 2x magnifier.

if it gets rave reviews ill think about it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered one so will post pics and thoughts when I receive it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just received the announcement from Jason the owner about it's release. I think I might pass. They want over 220 for when I can get a 4x from DM Premium optic for 160.

Great idea but I'd like to see them get out to industry reviews (military moron) for review.

MP

Just curious where I can get a 4x DM for $160?? Everywhere I check they are about double that!  More on topic a friend of mine has the Lucid and seems to like, no complaints yet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, About two weeks ago there were in stock at Midwest hunters outlet for 160ish. Looks like they are sold out. They just have the 3x for 130 now.

The guys at DM told me the units are discontinued so perhaps that is why there were so low.

MP
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a SCAR 17s which I will use for 3 gun matches and hunting (twice a year, 250 yds max).  I have the HD7 and I am trying to decide whether to get the variable magnifier and a pivot mount or to get one of the Vortex scopes like the PST 1-4x24 .  I really like the Lucid so far.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#7]
For 3-gun, I'd only pair the magnifier with an optic with a BDC like the EOTech 557/EXPS 3-4.  I'm going to be running this combo for a bit to see how well it works.  I have a lot of time behind 1-4X variables and am looking forward to shooting an EOTech again since it's a little faster on 1X.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I received the sight this week and finally had a few hours free for some range time. Thoughts:

1. Since there's very little information that I could find about the ADM swing mount, let me add my own.  It is noticeably lighter than the LaRue LT-649 pivot mount, which is one of the reasons I chose it.  It swings out of the way easily.  Additionally, when you swing the magnifier back into view, the reticule stays in place so I know the locking mechanism is solid. Way to go ADM!
2. The ADM swing mount + EOTech 557 + Lucid 2-5X combo is actually lighter than my previous scope + ADM ring mount combo.

3. So, the magnifier:

a. The zoom ring moves easily from 2-5X so you can do this one-handed without any problems.
b. The 2 adjustment screws that control vertical and horizontal alignment of the reticule also move smoothly and actually work. I've had clone magnifiers where the adjustments screws didn't do anything at all.
c. The glass quality is good, although I still think the EOTech 4X had the best glass quality of all magnifiers that I've used.
d. The eye relief.. is problematic.  Not in the usual way, though.  At 2X, the eye relief is way too long at 4".  If you are a NTCH shooter, you're going to have issues getting a proper sight picture at 2X. I recommend using this magnifier at 3X or higher. At 5X, the eye relief is almost perfect at 2.5".
e. The magnifier is sensitive to head position. You have to get your eye directly behind the magnifier or you won't have a clear sight picture.
f.  And last but not least, I think my magnifier is actually broken.  When I first went to 5X, I noticed the image was out of focus.  Since this unit doesn't have a diopter, I thought.. 'uh oh, not good'. Then I backed off the magnification a little bit and suddenly, it cleared up. Upon looking closer, I noticed that the zoom ring went slightly past 5X and this was the 'blurry zone'.  Consequently, there were times when the sight picture was clear, then I'd fire and it'd blurry again.  I don't think the magnifier is supposed to allow you to do this so internally, I think something is broken. When I shake the magnifier, I can hear slight rattling inside.

I'm disappointed that the magnifier had a pretty bad QC issue out of the gate so dropped Jason an email for an exchange. Since it's the weekend, I don't expect to hear anything until Monday so will update when I hear more.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Jason emailed me this morning and said to send the magnifier back for warranty repair. Will update when I hear more.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
hey Superset, thanks for the review.

I received mine as well, the zoom ring also rotates beyond 5x. However, mine is not yet mounted so I can't comment on image quality in that "zone"
I did shake the sucker and can also hear a slight rattling noise.

I did have a question for you though, which swing mount did you get ADM lists 2 types. I have an Eotech XPS on order which is absolute co-witness, I was planning on ordering the Vortex swing mount which is identical to the ADM. However, there are some confusion on if it's 1/3 or co- witness.

Thanks

edit: EOTech 557 has a built in riser right so I already sits higher than the XPS. My best guess is what ever your mount is will not work for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't speak about the Vortex swing mount but if it's setup to align with absolute cowitness, it'll work with your EOTech XPS. ADM has 2 mounts on their site (1/3 cowitness and absolute). I have the 1/3 cowitness model and it aligns perfectly with my 557.
Still waiting on my new Lucid (been traveling so didn't get it in the mail to Jason until yesterday). I hope yours works without issues.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have my magnifier mounted–– I am just waiting on a new HD7.  When I mounted it on my SCAR 17s, I realized real quick that the bolts holding the optic on were not going to get along with the charging handle.  I have an early model of the HD7, which I love. Jason is swapping my HD7 out for a new one with bolts you can switch from one side to the other.

I will let you know what it looks like soon, hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick update as I've been out of town. Jason sent me a new unit and it's working just fine now!  No problems with out of focus picture at the extreme end so happy with the unit. It works well with the EOTech and has good, usable eye relief for 3-5X.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I see in the picture that the magnifier has threads in the front end of it. For those that currently have the HD7, will this mount directly to the HD7, eliminating the need for a flip to side mount? I would consider this magnifier more if I new I could screw it directly into the back of my HD7 like I do with my 2x.

Any pics of it mounted on an HD7?

EDIT:  Disregard above statement. After viewing these pictures on something other than my iphone, it appears there are NO threads on the front side of the magnifier. A mount is a must.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#15]
any updates?

Seems like a good idea having variable zoom. Aimpoint should definitely make one...
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Still holding up nicely. I wouldn't count on any more magnifiers being made, given the explosion of the 1-4X variable scope market. A magnifier is good to have when you already have a red dot but I wouldn't recommend the combo starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got a chance to take the combo to a 3-gun match and it worked out well. The eye relief was good even when working from different positions.  One thing I noticed though is that after firing the first round under magnification, the sight picture blurred a bit and I had a hard time seeing the target. I don't know if this was caused by gas splashback on the front lens since it's hanging off the right side due to the LT649 pivot mount. I'll investigate further.
BTW, if you have an EOTech with the BDC (i.e. 557 or EXPS 3-4), the magnifier + EOTech combo can be very effective. I shot the long range stages at MGM flashers out to 400Y and hit them all with this combo.
You can see the combo in action here about 2:45s in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YiuWS-1ilo
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
looking forward to hearing whether the issue you had w/ the optic was relative to the optic or so some unburnt propellant that hit the optic or something...

BTW, I believe the vortex swing mout in the ADM mount.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going too try flipping the mount the other way and pivoting left to keep it out of the way of gas splashback and see if that solves the problem.  I did have the ADM swing mount but went with the LaRue to move it further away from the ejection port.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Did some more testing and could not reproduce the problem so it was likely environmental.. some dirt, smoke or propellant got in front of the magnifier lens that day.  I believe this combo will work out just fine moving forward.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
You ended up going with the LaRue mount though right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, I run the LaRue mount now instead of the ADM. Personal preference only as they're both good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I talked to ADM and they said they are going to be coming out w/ some other mounts in even lower profile than AR absolute co-witness
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top