Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 10:35:33 AM EDT
What are my options for treatment of a rifle after a magphos park job?  Its for a 3rd stringer that wont get shot much, or be cleaned very often. Looking for good long term durability, is there such a thing?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Others may disagree but I have a 5 gallon pail of inexpensive non-detergent 30W oil that I submerse my parked parts in.  I will suspend them over the pail until the excess drips off and then let them air dry on newspapers in my shop.  All this is after I have sprayed them liberally with WD40 to displace the water and park solution.  If you are looking for real long term storage, you can still get cosmoline in spray cans from MSC and I'm sure there are other more contemporary products available such as Sheath or Bo-Shield.  Personally, I find the 30W bath works well to prevent rust on MagPhos.

YMMV

Rick
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest you use LPS2.  Unlike LPS1, which is identical to WD40, the LPS2 leaves a light coating.  I use it on machines, parts, etc..  LPS3 is like cosmoline.  You could spray something with LPS3 and leave it outside for a year.  Both -2 and -3 wash off easily with mineral spirits.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top