Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 2:07:05 PM EDT
Got a Colt SP1 upper coming and was wondering what can be done about the lower. The upper is gray and all lowers I have seen are black. Does someone make a lower gray in the $100 range? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not that I know of. Why don't you just buy some Norrells MolyResin for $23 and a $20 airbrush kit from WallyWorld, it will certainly be alot easier to find than a grey lower.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it yourself with Norrells, That's what I did and it turned out great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The gray finish on early Colt rifles was a coating called Sandstrom 9.  It was applied over the anodized receivers.  The Sandstrom 9 is what gives the early Colt rifles their gray color.  Today, all receivers are Type III hard anodized black.

Norrell's product is really the only thing that is similiar to Sandstrom 9 that is widely avaliable.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.sandstromproducts.com/Tigs/e750.pdf

Follow this link for more info on Sandstrom-9. Good stuff. There's also a water soluble version! Dunno if it's any good, though

Brewer
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do it yourself with Norrells, That's what I did and it turned out great.
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/817075/Pictures5049.jpg

Looks awesome KJoeZ!

Also checkout my thread in the "Build It Yourself" Forum. Great discussion on Norrell's and many great pics.

Shoot! I'm in the BIYS forum. Well, my threads down the list just a bit, somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
www.essentialarms.com

Essential Arms is back to making lowers, and theirs are in the old original gray color.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top