Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2002 9:29:20 AM EDT
I have assembled several lowers, BM and Oly. I have my first new DPMS stripped lower to assemble. Okay, I am putting the trigger guard in the lower, I have the right tools, proper support on the lower, so I start the roll pin. I get through the first side of the lower, through the trigger guard, and then it happened. The other side of the lower cracks and the tab breaks off. Never seen this happen before. Any ideals what happened?? Please help, I am sick to my stomach and 120.00 bucks in the hole. Do ya'll think this defective or what? Anyone interested in buying it? Make me a fair offer and its yours.

Thanks,
srt205
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
we just had this topic;[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=145244]here[/url]
- anyway, I'd go with the JB Weld option. This is the common repair for working on an 80% project, and this is a non-stressed area.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It would be hard to say if it were defective. You could ask DPMS to see if they would replace the lower -- you never know, they might. It'll only cost you a phone call.

However, there is a positive spin to this predicament. Don't think of it as losing a $120 lower... you now have a permanent "winter trigger" on your AR! [;D]

-Greg
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok guys, I know this much so far. ITS MY FAULT THAT IT BROKE. I was able to get the roll-pin into the broken tab. I think the JB-weld ideal will work but it will be ugly. If anyone is interested in the lower w/trigger guard make me a fair offer and it yours. I can provide a pic also.

srt205
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I got a new lower today. They traded me the broke one for new one. They are the best. They have won my business forever. Not many dealers would do that. I even bought a new complete DMPS A3 Flattop upper for my new lower. If you live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, you have to pay their store a visit. K2 Sports, Richardson, TX.

srt205
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I know its slighly off the topic but I am going to be in DFW next week and I wouldn't mind checking them out. Can you post an address? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Fluxion,

Email sent!!

Thanks,
srt205
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that is a good shop to swap out lowers for you!!! I sure wish there was someone like that around here!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Had the same thing happen. Checked the Aluminum winter guard with a reamer, it was in spec. The roll pin was the problem, it wouldn't compress enough due to a high burr the length of the slot.
We got a new roll pin, checked it and pre-compressed/stressed it and it went in like a dream. Lesson here is use a plastic winter guard like Bushmaster and/or pre-compress the roll pin before installing it. We repaired the receiver by making this little part. It took ~2.5 hours to make it in the mill and machine the receiver. You came out far ahead and kudos to DPMS for their support. You can see more pics at the previous thread here [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=145244 [/url].

[img]http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~chucksmy/AR15/ar7.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same thing happen to me with a customers reciever. I machined the area behind the trigger guard up to the base of the fire control well. I then made a new piece from aluminum plate, contoured it and secured it with two countersunk socket screws. Seems like a lot of work, but it will never break and it looks great. Sorry I can't post a pic, as the guy I did it for no longer lives around here.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top