Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:57:49 AM EDT
I have been in seach of the right rifle and I have come down to the AR. It seams that you have alot you can do from the base. I want to build my first. I like to be able to shoot 600 - 1000 yds. Is there a difference in the lowers for a .223 then the .308 I want to be able to build my base off of the .308 but want to be able to change a few thing to have a different setup between distant and close combat.  what parts come into play for excepting the different rounds.

Thanks
Matt
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a huge difference in the construction of a .223 lower and the .308 lower.  They are not compatible.  You have to choose between on or the other or both.

For 600-1000yds, there's no real reason to stick with .223/5.56.  .308 will serve you much better for distances like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
With that being said is there less parts out there to make what ever  for the .308 or would I be better just to wait my time and make 2 different rifles. Im also guessing then the parts for a .308 will cost more then the .223?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
With that being said is there less parts out there to make what ever  for the .308 or would I be better just to wait my time and make 2 different rifles. Im also guessing then the parts for a .308 will cost more then the .223?

.308 parts cost more, but not that much more.

You can make AR-10 carbines.  ADCO has one and it is sweet.  He's running it in carbine competitions.  You could very easily build/buy one rifle, then build a dedicated carbine upper for it and be where you want to be.

Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top