Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:23:00 AM EDT
I need the screws/pins/detents/etc. to fully assemble an AR-15. The lower parts kits that are available from Bushmaster and DPMS provide the parts I need. However, they also provide some uneeded parts, I already have an accuracy speaks trigger assembly/hammer, KNS Anti-Walk Pins, JP tensioning pin and  a G27 grip I plan on using.

If I am not mistaken, those are the more expensive parts of the kits they offer. Does anyone sell kits excluding these items, that just contain the pins/screws/detents/etc.? The kits run about sixty dollars and come with...

Pistol Grip
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Selector
Bolt Catch Spring
Detent Spring
Bolt Catch Buffer
Take Down Detent
Bolt Catch
Magazine Catch Spring
Bolt Catch Roll Pin
Magazine Catch Button
Magazine Catch
Front Pivot Pin
Hammer Spring
Trigger Spring
Pistol Grip Screw
Pistol Grip Lock Washer
Selector Spring
Detent Selector
Hammer Pin
Trigger Pin
Take Down Pin
Buffer Retainer Pin
Buffer Retainer Spring
Disconnector Spring

Obviously, I don't need some of these parts. So if there is not kit available excluding these items, what do you reccomend I do? Kind of a pain to order a bunch of 50 cent screws individually.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would just order a whole lower parts kit from ADCO or Giffmann.  Why not just buy it complete for less than $60 and put what you don't need for this build in a "spare parts box"?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
As I agree with the above poster, don't know why your against spare parts but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Try this link and check out their parts kits, there's 3 there or the one containing all (note NOT a complete lower parts kit): www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/arpartskit.asp

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Primarily, because I would be paying for parts I don't need.

I did end up using the pin & detent kit, which helped quite a bit and ended up buying 3 parts individually. Out the door at twenty bucks instead of sixty means forty to put to better use elsewhere on the gun.

Thanks for your posts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep 'em for spares.  You could be the hero for someone in your neighborhood building a lower that loses that pesky detent for the forward takedown pin.

I never did find mine...it's still on the garage floor
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Right up until that day your rifle breaks/wears out that 30 cent extractor or ejector spring and renders your $800 AR into one barely useful overly expensive club.

Hope that day the availbility of a replacement part exists........

Firearms or magazines without replacement parts of items which frequently experience failures, shows a decidedly shortsighted view of the real world by their owners.

It won't be long before anti-gunners will be back at it again and this next time expect the attack to come in different forms.

IMO, ammunition is where they will strike next, remove the availbility of retail ammo sales and most those who don't reload and have surpluses of reloading components will be like you with "no spare parts", just plain SOL.

Parts supplies are only a short hop and sure to be affected, as it's the most effective way of rendering firearms presently owned to slowly expire due to parts breakage, (especially with a weapons system as fragile as the AR15/M16). True this would take time, but give it some thought, grab your "survivalist hat" screw it squarely atop your noggin and take a few minutes to ponder these suppositions.......

Food for thought,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I did end up using the pin & detent kit, which helped quite a bit and ended up buying 3 parts individually. Out the door at twenty bucks instead of sixty means forty to put to better use elsewhere on the gun.

Thanks for your posts.

Well you can order the parts individually from Georgia Precision
but I doubt you'd save $40.  Probably more like $20 and spare parts are worth their weight in gold if you ever run into a situation.  To each his own I guess but if saving a few bucks is more important than insurance and peace of mind then have it.

Mr. Wilson is right, if you read HR2038 (I think that is the number) the antis are going to attack spare/replacement parts in the future.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Parts you don't need now....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top