Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2003 7:23:38 AM EDT
Thinking about purchasing a Lower Receiver with Stubby Stock. Are these just for the 16" barrel? That will be my purpose but was just curious if that was the only length barrel you could use with them. BTW, what are your thoughts on those stocks?

what do ya think?

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That stock can be used with any length barrel, no problem. The stubby stock was designed to compensate for body armor, but seems to work well for shooters with a shorter reach. An average male with a tshirt and windbreaker on would probably find the stock too short.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" rifle with the stubby stock that I love.  Ideally, the stock would be about 1" longer, but I really like having the short stock.  

I'm only 5'7" tall and about 170#.  Just for a point of reference, I had to cut a full inch off of a Remington 870 for it to fit me properly.

The stubby stock let's you easily get your nose to the charging handle.  This stock also makes for a very compact, quick handling rifle.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I ended up making an extension for the stock that also works as a tac-sling attachment, it is 1 3/4" longer... I really like the set up for a fixed stock.

Just FYI -- I am 6'3" and the stock without the extension was too short for most purposes. I built one for another officer here (6'1") and had to put the extension on his as well.

Bottom line, they are nice... but no replacement for a tele-stock
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

I couldn't agree more.  Just out of curiosity, what did you use for an extension?  I haven't found the "right" material yet.  Plus I may have to dig up some longer screws.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If the A2 stock is too long, try an A1 stock.  You'll lose the compartment in the back for the cleaning kit, but you'll also lose a little length without going to the other extreme of the stubby stock.

:)
Alex
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't agree more.  Just out of curiosity, what did you use for an extension?  I haven't found the "right" material yet.  Plus I may have to dig up some longer screws.
Scott
View Quote

Nylon, machines nice and holds up well. I made it so that it can mount a buckle strap to your LBE -- but you may want to look at this:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/16-09-02.asp

Not seen one up close, or sure that it would work, but may work well for just making it a little longer?

Personally, for less than the cost of the stubby and the extension, you can get the 6 pos tele-stock, so the whole endevour is not worth it IMHO? Unless you can't own a tele :/
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the A2 stock is too long, try an A1 stock.  You'll lose the compartment in the back for the cleaning kit, but you'll also lose a little length without going to the other extreme of the stubby stock.

Alex
View Quote

Not entirely true. There are 2 A1 stocks. The old style with no trap door w/ front post style sling swivel
and then the trap door version with standard sling loop. You can even swap the checkered A2
trap door buttplate onto it (the A1 trapdoor buttplate is smooth).

I love A1 stocks! If it's not a tele-stock on my prebans, I prefer A1 over A2 buttstocks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.  I can't own a telestock (yet), so I need to do something for the stubby.
Thanks again,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Alex
View Quote

Alex is right.I took a ACE stubby entry stock to a carbine class and found out real quick that it's not made for regular folks.You can't get a good shoulder while shooting prone, sitting or kneeling.Standing was OK but my nose did get nipped by the charging handle every time.For law enforcement wearing body armor doing tactical entries, it's just fine but an A1 would work so much better on a postban rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Lower came in today. (top of page)
What do you think? [bounce]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What do you think?  
View Quote

"Look, Boss! De Plane! De Plane!" [;)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top