Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/5/2010 5:21:02 PM EDT
I did a search and didn't see this question. It looks like most people want to be cheap but reliable.

If time/money was no object, what would be the best lower parts kit available?

Individual components from separate manufacturers? Or does one manufacturer have everyone beat?

When polled, Colt usually comes out on top for best overall rifle.
But you can't call up Colt and order a parts kit. (at least not to my knowledge)

Armalite might come in second, but I never hear anyone talk about their kits.

What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:36:58 PM EDT
Are you refering to a 100% complete lower parts kit or just a trigger group ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 5:40:57 PM EDT by bwideman]
You can get a Colt LPK here for about $200. I like Daniel Defense for the price.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:44:35 PM EDT
I second the DD LPK. Ive used two of them so far and m very pleased.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:46:26 PM EDT
I am sold on CMT/Stag lpks. I've built 5 or 6 rifles and have always used them without any problems or issues.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:53:51 PM EDT
I've always been very happy with the DoubleStar/J&T Distributing LPKs. They claim to use milspec trigger groups and I take their word for it, they are damn nice LPKs. I've used about half a dozen others and have seen some very poor quality components in some. I also prefer the spiral type roll pins that J&T uses, they go in better than the split style.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:30:29 PM EDT
Have put in six (6) Bushmaster LPK's and one RRA LPK thus far. Both so far seem to be fine after yeas of use.

I did buy a cheap LPK from gun show dealer and have questioned the quality of the springs I got. I don't think the springs will last - that is - I'm testing them to see if they'll rust or corrode. Point is...buy a decent brand name LPK. Spending $75 or more is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:59:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bwideman:
You can get a Colt LPK here for about $200. I like Daniel Defense for the price.

I'll be darned.

Thanks for the link.

Does anyone happen to know if kits made by/for any one manufacturer are made for most manufacturers?

ie, does "Midwest Forge" (fictitious name) make triggers that EVERYONE sells as their own?

Kind of like how a manufacturer makes carry handles that can be found on several brands.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:14:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
I've always been very happy with the DoubleStar/J&T Distributing LPKs. They claim to use milspec trigger groups and I take their word for it, they are damn nice LPKs. I've used about half a dozen others and have seen some very poor quality components in some. I also prefer the spiral type roll pins that J&T uses, they go in better than the split style.

X2, I've used the DS kits for 7 rifles with no issues at all (great triggers as well). I've used 1 Rock River kit that was OK and a CMMG kit that had the selector lever detent pin shear a bit making it difficult the move the selector from fire to safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:54:50 PM EDT
DD LPK
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:11:30 AM EDT
I've used a few DPMS LPK's, one AR-Stoner SS kit, and a DD kit. Out of the 3, I'd lean toward the DD kit, but the others worked fine as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:00:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:
Originally Posted By bwideman:

I'll be darned.

Thanks for the link.

Does anyone happen to know if kits made by/for any one manufacturer are made for most manufacturers?

ie, does "Midwest Forge" (fictitious name) make triggers that EVERYONE sells as their own?

Kind of like how a manufacturer makes carry handles that can be found on several brands.

I suspect that, like receiver forgings, there are a few players in the game making the components, that are bought wholesale, and assembled into kits. Don't take my word for it though, as this is PURE speculation on my part...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:01:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
I am sold on CMT/Stag lpks. I've built 5 or 6 rifles and have always used them without any problems or issues.

So am I.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:37:36 PM EDT
for best fit/finish and overall proper specs that's at a price under $75, i'd go with RRA or Stag arms LPKs..

they seem to be the most inspec of the ones in the 50-75 price range.. no wiggly safety selectors like dpms
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:27:13 PM EDT
The best one that I've put in so far was from G&R Tactical. I got mine sans the fire control group since I had one left over from a previous build but I've heard that their FCG is as good as the rest of the kit.

Everything went together very well and functioned smoothly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:32:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blitz_308:
The best one that I've put in so far was from G&R Tactical

I second that! G&R was very nice compared to my other AR with RRA LPK.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:44:12 AM EDT
Would it be cheaper to piece out a Colt LPK at Brownells? I know you can buy individual parts there of Colt manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:08:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 6:08:53 AM EDT by rick458]
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1071.php
Palmetto State Armory LPK-GMOE
Geissele SSA Trigger Assembly*
Magpul MOE Pistol Grip Kit
Magpul Enhanced Polymer Trigger Guard
Safety Selector
Bolt Catch Spring
Detent Spring
Bolt Catch Plunger
Takedown Pin Detent
Bolt Catch
Magazine Catch Spring
Bolt Catch Roll Pin
Magazine Release Button
Magazine Catch
Pivot Pin
Selector Spring
Safety Selector Detent
Rear Take Down Pin

$215
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:34:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

Individual parts? Yes.

Don't bother asking who makes what for which brand.

You won't get a straight answer in my experience, except for the rare few who make their own.

It's mostly down to the manufacturer being able to meet each specific brand's criteria or lack therof.

I've found that many times a vendor will slap their name on a LPK as long as they are happy with the contents.

There is one vendor here that I have bought from and three different times I have recieved three different LPKs.

I don't discount this as just being a possible mix up. Considering most brands just drop their hardware into a generic zip-loc bag.

Then again all three were of good quality and worked without any issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:25:41 AM EDT
I am starting my first build and bought a Stag LPK based on what I have read here.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:36:34 PM EDT
I have installed colt, RRA, DD, DPMS. My favorite is DD.
Top Top