Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:53:05 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to lower the weight of the front end of an 20" AR? Although it is not unbearable, it certainly could be better. I would like it to be more balanced (if that is at all possible). I am starting from scratch. I have 20" barrel, front sights, plastic forend, and an tacticle 6 position stock.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:26:58 AM EDT
Is it an HBAR or gov't profile?

You could:
Get it profiled (turned down on a lathe to make it skinnier)
Get it fluted (length wise cuts in the barrel)
Chop it to 16"
Sell it and buy a 16" barrel
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:15:30 AM EDT
I have a HB 16" and would like it lighter also even though it balances fairly well.

ADCO and AR15barrels.com both can recontour and/or flute your existing barrel for much less than the cost of a complete new barrel.

I know they are all the rage right now but do you NEED a collapsible stock? I must be the only person in the world that prefers a fixed stock. I have purchased a few A1 stocks to replace the A2 fixed stocks. They are shorter and lighter but wouldn't look goofy on a 20" rifle. Have you seen a CAR stock on a 20" rifle? Seems like neither fish nor fowl if you know what I mean.

A well balanced rifle but heavier rifle feels better between the hands than a lighter poorly balanced piece IMHO.

When it comes to stock weight for balancing out a muzzle heavy weapon I think they go, heaviest to lightest, A1, A2, M4, CAR. I know someone will correct me momentarily if I am wrong.
Top Top