Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:22:18 AM EDT
I have seen a lot of talk of who has what on the board, mostly seems to be 9mm but seen mention of a couple of .40's out there. Is there a sticky or another web site out there that can fill us "not in the know" on the in's and out's of the AR pistol cal world ? I just built my first lower and that will be for a carbine in .223 but I got a show this weekend and plan to buy another lower if I see a good deal and would like to build a .40 or .45 carbine or possibly pistol.

I see a lot of talk about mag adapters and modified magazines. It worries me that magazines will be difficult to find and I guess the main problem is the magazine well and magazine availability. Could someone start a "Pistol Caliber Builds for Dummies" sticky ? What else should I be careful of. I have checked out the Olympic Arms web site and maybe I am blind but I did not see all that much on there. 9mm uppers seem to be a no brainer but sorry guy's I PERSONALLY hate 9mm. Not dissing your caliber of choice but I just don't like them and would much rather have a .40 or .45.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:28:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:39:50 AM EDT
Yes I scanned the 3 page thread before I posted here but note that I had stated I am not interested in 9mm. I am looking for information on alternative calibers, .40, .45, heck... .50AE or even .17 HMR. The 9mm stuff can be purchased from Brownells, Midway, or several SGN places but I have yet to see anything for other calibers in the magazines or catalogs.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:07:37 AM EDT
I am making a .40 cal doe style upper now. I got the barrel blank from Lothar Walther.
I modified the a 9mm bolt to accept .40 cal and opened the ejector hole to allow
the ejector room to move outward. I have two ways to go on the mags.
I have adapters from Olympic to allow use of glock or shearer long mags.
I am also looking at 9mm uzi mags with some mods. I have finished the
barrel and bolt and now will start on the magazines. Good luck. Tod
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLRich:
Yes I scanned the 3 page thread before I posted here but note that I had stated I am not interested in 9mm. I am looking for information on alternative calibers, .40, .45, heck... .50AE or even .17 HMR. The 9mm stuff can be purchased from Brownells, Midway, or several SGN places but I have yet to see anything for other calibers in the magazines or catalogs.

Rich

Because there is not a huge market for the stuff. Mags are the hardest thing to make work for bigger cal. Check out OLY weapons for larger stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:07:39 PM EDT
FLRich,

I agree with you on caliber. I went through the same thing--did a bunch of research, and was just about to order a .45 cal, which was exactly what I wanted, but did not want to go with cav arms because I wanted a telescoping stock. I did not want welded mags or tricky little inserts with backward ass mag releases. Reliable high cap mags was another concern.

I finally settled on the Oly in 40 cal glock mag deal. I already have a glock 22, and a bunch of mags for it. Plus you can get the 29 rnd scherer mags. I wish I could tell you how great it shoots, but I have yet to touch it. I got it sbr'd and supressed, so it will be a little while...

Good luck on your quest.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tod55:
I am making a .40 cal doe style upper now. I got the barrel blank from Lothar Walther.
I modified the a 9mm bolt to accept .40 cal and opened the ejector hole to allow

Where did you find the adapter for the glock mags? I looked for months and made a crap load of emails and phone calls but could never find one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:40:01 PM EDT
Well I got my lower today and I got it on a 4473 as a Handgun. Now to decide what to do with it...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:20:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brushdog:

Originally Posted By Tod55:

Where did you find the adapter for the glock mags? I looked for months and made a crap load of emails and phone calls but could never find one.

?
Top Top