Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:22:18 AM EDT
I have seen a lot of talk of who has what on the board, mostly seems to be 9mm but seen mention of a couple of .40's out there. Is there a sticky or another web site out there that can fill us "not in the know" on the in's and out's of the AR pistol cal world ? I just built my first lower and that will be for a carbine in .223 but I got a show this weekend and plan to buy another lower if I see a good deal and would like to build a .40 or .45 carbine or possibly pistol.

I see a lot of talk about mag adapters and modified magazines. It worries me that magazines will be difficult to find and I guess the main problem is the magazine well and magazine availability. Could someone start a "Pistol Caliber Builds for Dummies" sticky ? What else should I be careful of. I have checked out the Olympic Arms web site and maybe I am blind but I did not see all that much on there. 9mm uppers seem to be a no brainer but sorry guy's I PERSONALLY hate 9mm. Not dissing your caliber of choice but I just don't like them and would much rather have a .40 or .45.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes I scanned the 3 page thread before I posted here but note that I had stated I am not interested in 9mm. I am looking for information on alternative calibers, .40, .45, heck... .50AE or even .17 HMR. The 9mm stuff can be purchased from Brownells, Midway, or several SGN places but I have yet to see anything for other calibers in the magazines or catalogs.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I am making a .40 cal doe style upper now. I got the barrel blank from Lothar Walther.
I modified the a 9mm bolt to accept .40 cal and opened the ejector hole to allow
the ejector room to move outward. I have two ways to go on the mags.
I have adapters from Olympic to allow use of glock or shearer long mags.
I am also looking at 9mm uzi mags with some mods. I have finished the
barrel and bolt and now will start on the magazines. Good luck. Tod    
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes I scanned the 3 page thread before I posted here but note that I had stated I am not interested in 9mm. I am looking for information on alternative calibers, .40, .45, heck... .50AE or even .17 HMR. The 9mm stuff can be purchased from Brownells, Midway, or several SGN places but I have yet to see anything for other calibers in the magazines or catalogs.

Rich

Because there is not a huge market for the stuff. Mags are the hardest thing to make work for bigger cal. Check out OLY weapons for larger stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
FLRich,

I agree with you on caliber.  I went through the same thing--did a bunch of research, and was just about to order a .45 cal, which was exactly what I wanted, but did not want to go with cav arms because I wanted a telescoping stock.  I did not want welded mags or tricky little inserts with backward ass mag releases.  Reliable high cap mags was another concern.

I finally settled on the Oly in 40 cal glock mag deal.  I already have a glock 22, and a bunch of mags for it.  Plus you can get the 29 rnd scherer mags.  I wish I could tell you how great it shoots, but I have yet to touch it.  I got it sbr'd and supressed, so it will be a little while...

Good luck on your quest.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am making a .40 cal doe style upper now. I got the barrel blank from Lothar Walther.
I modified the a 9mm bolt to accept .40 cal and opened the ejector hole to allow

Where did you find the adapter for the glock mags?  I looked for months and made a crap load of emails and phone calls but could never find one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I got my lower today and I got it on a 4473 as a Handgun. Now to decide what to do with it...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you find the adapter for the glock mags?  I looked for months and made a crap load of emails and phone calls but could never find one.

?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top