Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/6/2004 7:11:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 7:43:38 AM EST by low_lead]
Got a nice present. Dad just cracked open his gun safe and gave me one of his AR's. Looked at the serial #, it is SP13XX. Thirteen hundred something. Puts it late 64 early 65? Does this affect the value? Not looking to sell, just wondering. Thanks for the GREAT website!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:25:12 AM EST

To a collector, yes, it does have a higher value...especially if it has a lot of the older parts. Does it have a duckbill flash supressor, or a 3 prong regular one, or an A1 birdcage-type? Does it have a roll pin holding in the buffer in the buttstock? Does it have a dimple in the safety lever? What kind of pin does it use to hold the firing pin into the bolt carrier?

There's a bunch of early model pecularities that distinguish them from later models...picking up one of the handful of AR15/M16 bibles will really help you nail down exactily what you have, as far as parts go, be they A1 style, etc.

It's value would really shoot up, if you had it's original box and paperwork, as well. Original magazines are also worth a fair penny to collector types..

Offhand to a collector, maybe in the $3k range, perhaps? Depending on what types of parts I mentioned above it has? I could be way off base...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:53:51 AM EST
It's from your dad, so it's priceless!
I'd say about $1800.00 depending on the variables that Evil_Ed talked about.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:18:53 AM EST
alot depends on the condition, the values that will be suggested will vary greatly, I hope this thread doesn't spark as much controversy as mine!

for more info on SP1's with a low SN see

SP1 00005
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:06:00 AM EST
WOW... 00005

Mine has been shot, I have not popped the pins yet to see what the condition is. I will post pics tonight.

Gunslinger, you are right... " It's from your dad, so it's priceless!" this would be one of the last things to go.

Thanks for all your input so far, this is a great virtual community.
Top Top