Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 5:56:08 PM EDT
I'm going to make a toolbox guncase.  I'm looking for the gray foam.  I've seen a couple places on the net that had it and it was pretty expensive.  Is there a place to get it no so expensive?  Or is there a different type stuff to use in there that will serve the purpose and cost effective?  Thanks.

Shawn
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Look in the yellow pages under foam...   They'll have what you need at any decent foam store...  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I been checking out the gray dense foam for my project like I seen on the Maryland site.  That stuff is hard to find and expensive.  The reason I wanted to do this in the first place is because it's a really neat idea and inexpensive.  I'm just gonna go to Walmart and get some of that bed padding foam and die it gray and be done with it.  Has anybode else used this stuff??  Thanks.

Shawn
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm just gonna go to Walmart and get some of that bed padding foam and die it gray and be done with it.  Has anybode else used this stuff??  Thanks.

Shawn
View Quote

What if the dye "stains" your AR... would make the right foam seem like the cheaper alternative to me...

Just my $.02

STP.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a good idea however I want my gun together and readily accessible just in case. I was all set to do one of these tool box cases also until I thought about it more and realized if I'm driving down the road and need my rifle I'm SOL until I put things back together. Not a situation I want to create on my own.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Shawnster,
two weeks ago I did just that. I went to Lowe's and purchased a 26 inch tool box made of aluminum and plastic for $30.  I then went to a hobby/craft store that sells foam for pillows and furniture. I paid $18.  Thats all it was and alot of patience to trace.  I placed a 2 inch bottom, followed up by a 2 inch section for my lower, than a three inch section for my upper and eo tech site.  I kept plenty of loaded ammo clips on top removable shelf.  For $50 I have a tool box that I can take to range or elsewhere very discreetly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]
What does the toolbox guncase look like, or are all boxes different for each application?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on which case you use.

For the Orginals we used the yellow & black Craftsman's cases from Sears (very stylish).  But some people wanted to be able to lock it with full size padlocks so they went to the larger Task Force box (from Lowes or Home Depot) - its 'tactical black', taller, and has a provision for locking with a padlock,

For those with 18" SPRs or 20" rifles you can use the very chic 30" blue steel toolbox from Lowes (which my local Lowes doesn't carry - grrrr!).

for more information & tips on building one see: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/useatoolboxasam4case.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shawnster,
two weeks ago I did just that. I went to Lowe's and purchased a 26 inch tool box made of aluminum and plastic for $30.  I then went to a hobby/craft store that sells foam for pillows and furniture. I paid $18.  Thats all it was and alot of patience to trace.  I placed a 2 inch bottom, followed up by a 2 inch section for my lower, than a three inch section for my upper and eo tech site.  I kept plenty of loaded ammo clips on top removable shelf.  For $50 I have a tool box that I can take to range or elsewhere very discreetly.
View Quote

I went by Lowes today on my way home from work.  That is the same box I was looking at and decided to wait to come home and do some measuring.  I want enough room to maybe put some 30 round mags in there as well.  Can you either post some pics of yours or sent them to me via email??  I was also thinking about that 30" blue box but my Lowes don't have them either.  Did you use the solid foam or the egg create stuff??  Thanks for any help.  I don't know why I'm making such a big deal out of this but I don't want to spend much money on this thing and I don't want it to look cheesey.  Thanks again.

Shawn
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
and here is another...

[url]http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/toolbox.html[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top