Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 7:13:35 AM EDT
Howdy,

The surplus military ammo cans are very popular for ammo storage. I have been using them for my AR and 9mm ammo.  I have no basement or garage and my storage space is very limited, so I have ammo cans stashed around my place in closets, hiding under my living room futon, in my cabinets, and hiding under blankets.

The ammo cans can be rusty, dirty, paint-chippy, crumbly, STINKY, not-so-impressive-to-my-gf, and they can be eye-sores! (Disclaimer: they are NOT eye-sores to ME, but to relatives & friends of mine who are sheeple.)

Anyways, I am trying to find new AIR-TIGHT storage containers that are more low-profile and don't scream, "HE'S GOT AMMO!"

What are you guys using for ammo storage containers other than surplus ammo boxes?

Thanks,
AE
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#2]
How about http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/camping/dry_boxes.html
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have some in Ziplock bags stored in cardboard boxes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you need to man up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Stack 'em, put a larger piece of plywood over the top, and drape with a thick cloth - instant coffee table.

Paint 'em different colors, tell 'em it's an art project.

Stack them like stairs, put them on a base with casters, place in the kitchen and tell people they're steps for reaching stuff on the top shelf.

Leave them in all your corners with the lids cracked open - tell people it's an industrial strength roach motel.

OR

Instead of hiding your hobby, be open about it and try to welcome more people into the shooting sport. Anyone who spends an enjoyable afternoon burning off 500 rounds of ammo with you wont ask "what you need with THAT many bullets for" ever again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Hollowed out encyclopedias.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I use large greenlee job boxes. They are secure, and just where I keep "tools".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Old beat ammo cans are Seyy
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sounds like you need to man up.

+1

If not, you could always ask yourself : "what would Christopher do?"

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple of large end tables that serve as a hiding place for alot of my ammo.  It stays out of sight but close at hand, the GF dosen't bitch about the eyesore....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I store some of mine in plastic Coffee Cans. I line the inside with a Gallon resealable plastic bag, put about 400 rounds of 5.56 in it. Dessicant, seal up the bag, then run a SMALL lip of silicone on the can top and pop it on. You can leave off the silicone if you will be getting into it.

Works very well and if you drink coffee like I do you will have a ready supply of cans. I don't do it to hide it from the wife it's just that after 150 or so ammo cans I am tired of buying them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Paint girly designs on you ammo cans.  put flowers and rainbows all over them.

Everyone will be too afraid to ask any questions...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The plastic Folgers cofee cans might not be bad,  I've been using them on my reloading bench to store .45 acp and .223 empties.  When the can gets full it's time to set up the appropriate dies.  For burying I like using the plastic Alliant powder containers.

Most of my loaded ammo is just piled in one of the closets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I fit 360 rds. of Q3131A into an old "first aid" kit for vehicle use.  A "blanket chest" was formerly used to store about 7K of 5.56 until the wife decided to rearrange the bedroom furniture.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I use large greenlee job boxes. They are secure, and just where I keep "tools".

Are you serious?
If so, that's way cool.

As to the original question, why don't you clean the rust off and paint them?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The air tight part is tough to some extent.  I personally would touch up the ammo cans so the rust will be stopped instead of being allowed to continue.

I would then use plywood or something else to make a stack of ammo boxes look like something else.

Some of the surplus 7.62x51 is coming in rectangular boxes and they stack well and a piece of plywood on top and some fabric of some sort would make an end table like folks are talking about.

You can also use fabric to hide what is under the futon, just make a little curtain thing that covers the area where you see the ammo cans.

After trying other means to hold ammo I stick to ammo cans since they latch shut and can handle the load inside them if you pick them up.

I do admit that as a coffee drinker that is something I will consider but right now I use my empty coffee cans for storing more sugar and creamer and what not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Showing "low profile" ammo storage would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

Besides, I don't do any "low profile" storage right now and would otherwise have nothing to contribute to this fine discussion.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#19]
In about a month I'll give the fireplace insert a thorough cleaning and stack any ammo cans I'm not going to need in there. I think it'll take 10.

I'm in your situation with the rest. Hate to leave them in the garage over the summer. I have an excel inventory of cans by location in the house. Now that my daughters are out on their own I have a little more space- but a LOT more ammo. I'm trying to find a spot for 5 cases of SA 7.62. All my cans are either in good shape or if not I use a little 0000 steel wool, prime and spot paint them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
A closet full of ammo cans damn-near makes me horny.

I just recently moved my stash to a different closet in the house, since my play room is being re-done for the new baby. My wife doesn't think a thing about it, she's really great.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't feel the need to "hide" my ammo. It is way too much to hide, and it is a useful "weather vane" for the sporadic guest here. Any adverse reactions when seen, family or otherwise, and I tell'm to hit the road.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd say work on your personal portfolio before you stock up on unhideable amounts of ammo.  Get a house, set aside a room, put a lock on it.  You won't look so bad in court if punks/kids have to break into your ammo hoard to steal it and go crazy and kill people.
I'm "bacheloring it" at my home so I keep most in a room that can be locked when visitors come.  It's hard to do on a budget but very responsible to lock up your ammo and firearms.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top