Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2018 8:33:35 AM EDT
So I've been almost exclusively a red dot shooter but I've had the itch to get a low power variable optic for some time.  I've been looking at the Vortex Viper PST 1-6x GEN 2 and the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.  They both fall in the ~$700 which is around my price point.  
Unfortunately neither really has everything I want in a variable scope.    I don't suppose anyone has used both and can give their opinions of both?  Or if you have 1 of them, can you give your take on the scope based on how I perceive them below.

So here is where I see it:

Vortex:
Has 1-6x.
"Red Dot" is more like a 1moa which give me concern that for CQB it might be a bit small for lining up shots
Bit heavier
Has hold over points for longer ranges
Batter Operated

What I wish the Vortex had:
I like the original reticle of the original PST vs the new 1moa dot.
Lighter

Trijicon:
Has 1-4x.
Eye Relief seems to be a little better from what I gather
Only has a Triangle or Dot.  Triangle appears a bit closer to what I'm used to in terms of standard Aimpoint Red Dot.
Lighter
No holder over points.  Seems like quite a bit of a downside
Tritium and Fiber Optics.  So no battery.  Seems like a bit plus

What I wish the Trijicon had:
Hold over points.  Not sure why these were left out.  /shrug
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
check out the prmary arms 1x6 with the 7.62 x 39 / 300 blackout reticle . I have used it on targets out to 300 yds with sucess .
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I did see that.  I was a bit worried about the lower price point.  I know lower prices doesn't always mean poor quality, but I'm concerned the glass and/or build quality isn't quite up to the same specs.  
If anyone can shed some light on that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I also use a PA 1-6 on mine and couldn’t be happier. I love the ACSS reticle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also use a PA 1-6 on mine and couldn't be happier. I love the ACSS reticle.
View Quote
the acss is closer to the reticle that I was hoping to get on the Vortex/Aimpoint.  Sadly not an option.
Hows the glass quality?  Is it pretty clear?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top