BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2008 7:57:34 PM EDT
 ** WELCOME !!  

You came to the right place !

Don't forget to check the Equipment Exchange and our site sponsors for good deals.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks weptek911. I ordered one of Pete's EE specials tonight. A great deal for the price. Watch for my update in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks weptek911. I ordered one of Pete's EE specials tonight. A great deal for the price. Watch for my update in the near future.

Thank you !

I enjoy seeing all the new builds and BRD victims enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it is a good thing. Come one, come all!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm one of these newbs that suddenly went from not being interested in the AR, to I have to get one now before the fear of another AWB causes prices to skyrocket.

I bought 2 M4 kits from pete :)

Plus I've already modded my car, my motorcycle, and I need something else to buy parts for.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you !
I enjoy seeing all the new builds and BRD victims enthusiasts.

so, sad.  So true.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
woot!
noobs rock...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep. Well said weptek911.

Welcome aboard guys.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]
DU trollers that had a revelation, secretly bought a lower, and now want to stash the build instructions for when Barry's Stalinist minions turn on them for not giving it all up to the "new order"?  
Nah
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I did my first lower build last night!  

Only dinged up the receiver a little bit installing the bolt catch roll pin (no brass punch set, will buy one soon)!  

Only sent one spring/pin flying across the room (the buffer retention pin)!  

Only forgot to install one part (the lock washer for the pistol grip)!  

I cheated a bit because I had a complete upper from Armalite's 2007 Thanksgiving Day sale.  So I don't consider myself totally experienced in building just yet.

Purchased my RRA LPKs and NM trigger from Pete in NH; VLTOR modstock and Stag lower from gunrunner1000.  

On to the next one ...!

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm one of these newbs that suddenly went from not being interested in the AR, to I have to get one now before the fear of another AWB causes prices to skyrocket.

I bought 2 M4 kits from pete :)

Plus I've already modded my car, my motorcycle, and I need something else to buy parts for.

+1
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
While I'm not new to AR-15's I am working on my first build. I bought a Stag lower from a local dealer and I've ordered my CMT lpk and BCM stock kit from Denny's.
Now if I could just decide on what type of upper.........
Anyway, thanks for the welcome!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome!

And don't forget to vote for McCain.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Been lurking here for about a year. Until last week I was mostly a 1911, Garand, and lever action fan, but I always had a place for in my heart for the AR15 since my (Marine) dad trained me how to shoot with them. Figured since it looks like there's a good chance that BHO is going to get into office, it might be a good time to get an AR and a bunch of mags.

Ordered so far:
*BCM midlength upper, arrives on Thursday

Plan to order tomorrow:
*BCM bolt carrier group
*BCM carrying handle
*BCM M4 buttstock
*Mega Lower

Still mulling over:
*Don't know which lower parts kit is best, may end up throwing my own together since I'm a southpaw
*D&H and/or Magpul magazines.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
DU trollers that had a revelation, secretly bought a lower, and now want to stash the build instructions for when Barry's Stalinist minions turn on them for not giving it all up to the "new order"?  

Nah

It is an influx of DU stalwarts who are afraid of Bushimpitler overturning election results and declaring martial law or DU stalwarts afraid of Sarah Palin.

One or the other.  All the same, welcome!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
hey now!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I did my first lower build last night!  

Only dinged up the receiver a little bit installing the bolt catch roll pin (no brass punch set, will buy one soon)!  

Only sent one spring/pin flying across the room (the buffer retention pin)!  

Only forgot to install one part (the lock washer for the pistol grip)!  

I cheated a bit because I had a complete upper from Armalite's 2007 Thanksgiving Day sale.  So I don't consider myself totally experienced in building just yet.

Purchased my RRA LPKs and NM trigger from Pete in NH; VLTOR modstock and Stag lower from gunrunner1000.  

On to the next one ...!

You need the roll pin punches that Brownells sells.

Roll pin punch set

This set does a much better job at installing the roll pins than a brass punch.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Noob here, long time lurker, short time poster--I have gotten the bug, after my first build (lightweight M4), i'm now going the opposite way & building up a serious varminter in .204 Ruger.  I just order a heavy Krieger barrel    from WOA--now i get to wait 4 months until it arrives.  Boo..Oh well, it gives me plenty of time to decide on the rest of my goodies..
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow !

We're bringing out the lurkers. Tonight while I am watching the debate I am building up ;

1) stripped RRA lowers (2)
2)Barreled uppers (3)
a. Colt large hole A2 with light weight 1/7 Colt barrel
b. RRA A3 upper with Eagle Arms .gov profile 1/7 20" bbl
c. CMT A3 upper with Del-Ton 20" heavy 1-9 bbl

The Colt upper is a spare upper for my all original Colt SP-1 if I need to shoot .62 grain SS109/M855 ammo
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Short time lurker here.  An M4 clone was always on my wish list but it was a down the road item.  With his highness Obama set to become POTUS my wife agreed to let move the time frame up.  If he wins, I'm ordering the parts as a consolation prize. I'm not going to take the chance on a ten year or longer ban.  Glad I found this site though as there is a wealth of information.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Short time lurker here.  An M4 clone was always on my wish list but it was a down the road item.  With his highness Obama set to become POTUS my wife agreed to let move the time frame up.  If he wins, I'm ordering the parts as a consolation prize. I'm not going to take the chance on a ten year or longer ban.  Glad I found this site though as there is a wealth of information.

If he wins there will be price hikes and a gold-rush mentality of panic buying on Nov 5th.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
Welcome!

And don't forget to vote for McCain. he Just got a bunch of extra fun parts and magazines from a friend of mine, now I need (yes, NEED) the weapon to put all this stuff on. Hoping to get a lower at a gun show on the 31st of the month, and everything else shortly after. Thanks for the welcome
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks to you bastards, I've spent close to $1000 this month and I'm not quite there yet on my first build.

You people are going to give me a divorce.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
If he wins there will be price hikes and a gold-rush mentality of panic buying on Nov 5th.

We'll see.  I don't think it will be all that bad.  At least I already have my price locked in.  No matter Obama's opinion it will still take time for an AWB to make it through the house, senate, and then to Obama for him to sign.  I think there's also been a resurgence in 2nd Amendment rights belief that might make an AWB tougher to get through congress.

All that being said, I'll still be ordering it on the 5th .
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#25]
just bought my stag lower last night.  $95 out the door
gotta wait 14 days.
also ordered a LPK, 2-stage trigger, and ace skeleton stock.
those should arrive in around 2 weeks.

... maybe i will watch the election results and assemble my lower on the same nite!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I've noticed a lot of newbies too, I think it's great.  Welcome guys .  

Page 2
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You need the roll pin punches that Brownells sells.

Roll pin punch set

This set does a much better job at installing the roll pins than a brass punch.

Yeah, I need one of those.  I am a little ticked off at myself for the finish damage to my Stag lower but that's totally my fault.  I taped off the receiver but the damage is on the bolt catch part.  Sigh.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#28]
hey guys im pretty new too, i just started my first AR build.

Rock River Arms Stripped Lower - 179 out the door
Rock River Arms Lower parts kit - 69.99
Mega Stripped Upper w/M4 feed ramps - 120
Mega Upper parts kit - 26.00

Thats all i have so far...

Next up

ACE A2 Skeleton Stock
4 Magpul Magizines 1 w/window
Larue Complet bolt assembly

As far as Barrel, handgaurd, sights I have no idea and really need help... lol
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]
NO!  STOP!  GET OUT!

You don't want to be here!  The place is like a crack house!  

I was once a human being.  I had a couple of guns.  I had a normal life.

Now I have enough ammo to sink a battle ship.

Be warned!  Get out!  

Shane
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Thanks,

As a new member I can say that this forum is great place for info.  I have some parts enroute to my house now, and can't wait to get my first build complete.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#31]
woot to lurkers!
I said I wouldn't post till I took pictures, hence the lag time.

either way, this site is less like rehab, and more like a crack house...always checking back for new stuff.
-Johnny
(gotta hide my shame and get my post count up)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
hey guys im pretty new too, i just started my first AR build.

Rock River Arms Stripped Lower - 179 out the door
Rock River Arms Lower parts kit - 69.99
Mega Stripped Upper w/M4 feed ramps - 120
Mega Upper parts kit - 26.00

Thats all i have so far...

Next up

ACE A2 Skeleton Stock
4 Magpul Magizines 1 w/window
Larue Complet bolt assembly

As far as Barrel, handgaurd, sights I have no idea and really need help... lol

You may want to think about getting a complete barreled upper. You could sell the Mega upper you have to offset the cost.

The only reason I suggest this is you need a vice,vice block, barrel wrench and a torque wrench to do it right. ( among other things ) That's how I started back before the 1994 ban.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#33]
height=8
Quoted:
Thanks to you bastards, I've spent close to $1000 this month and I'm not quite there yet on my first build.

You people are going to give me a divorce.he
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#35]
In all seriousness this forum helped me a lot when I was starting out.  

I have learned that in order to keep peace with my wife, I buy a stripped lower for $125 and keep the reciept.  Then I build the rifle, toss on all the goodies and a nice sling.  Then when she asks me how much it costs, I show her the reciept and match up the serial number.  

"See?  Only $125.  I couldn't pass it up!"

Problem is when she says, "That's great.  Find me one like that.  I'll give you the $125."

Shane
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have learned that in order to keep peace with my wife, I buy a stripped lower for $125 and keep the reciept.  Then I build the rifle, toss on all the goodies and a nice sling.  Then when she asks me how much it costs, I show her the reciept and match up the serial number.  

Problem is when she says, "That's great.  Find me one like that.  I'll give you the $125."

Shane

LOL mine did that to me too!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Shane

LOL thats hilarious. My wife isn't quite that gullible though.

I've had my AA/Magpul lower done for 8 months now, and it's KILLING me not having a frappin' upper to go with it. I've got a nice xmas bonus coming, but I'm afraid that the awesome $525 price on the CMMG complete uppers at AIM will be long gone by the time I get the money.

I'll need new tires for my truck before long, but I'm thinking about re-prioritizing some funds and getting the upper now while the prices are good, and using my xmas bonus for the tires. It's all gotta be approved by the CFO though, lol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Newbie here. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great info they have posted here.. Went from no ar to stripped lower in hand and all the other  parts on order in 2 days....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top