Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 7:46:04 AM EDT
Don't know much about Lothar barrels.  Thinking of going to one for a service rifle.  How do they compare to an Oly SUM, Krieger, Douglas or Wilson?  going 1x8 twist on this one.  What do you guys think?

D.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any first hand knowledge (my AR-10T remains unfired), but there was a short discussion baout this awhile back.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=150976&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Lothar Walther barrels are amongst the best on the market period.  Wilson aren't even in the same league.  You will never have problems with their barrels and having shot them, they're as accurate as you can get.  Just my 02!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I don`t know the U.S.-Lothar Walther barrels
as they have their own factory in the US-
but we build aprox. 1500 AR`s the last 3 years
and all of them had LW-Barrels.
We`re 100% satisfied with the quality and accur. just can recomend them .

M.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Barrel blanks for the US company are from the same foundry in Germany, the US factory is in Georgia.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
We never used them at Oly Arms, but one of our customers did and he liked them alot. His only complaint about them was that they were very hard, ie in the Rockwell Scale.

This is not a bad thing at all mind you, just difficult for a smith to work with. So if anyone had to machine one of these barrels extra care would have to be taken.

Fritze Out

BTW-416 Stainless Steel is a common barrel steel due to its ease of machineabilty, if a steel is easier to machine one can maintain closer tolerances and more repeatable dimensions easier with it.

4140 and 4130 are common chromemoly steels use to make barrels, they are cheaper by the pound but are harder to machine, ie tougher. They use up tools faster when machining and because of that are more difficult to maintan tighter tolerances.

Here is a fundemental rule, its not neccesarrily the material or method used to make a barrel, its the expertise and care thats used. If you dont do it right the best materials in the world wont do you any good.

Broached, buttoned, hammer forged, single point cut, can all be done well or poorly, its up to the barrel makers expertise.

Lothar Walther barrels are known to be one of the best because they know how to make great barrels.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Guys!  That is alot of good info.  Hey Fritze-  Here is my conundrum... I have an Oly SUM 1x8 on order but it is taking forever and there is no end in sight.  I am thinking of changing my specs to a Lothar because the guy offered to build it with a Lothar for a little extra charge.  In your honest opinion would you wait for the SUM or get the Lothar.  I already have an Ultramatch with 1x10 SUM and I am pleased with the accuracy but need the 1x8 for slinging bigger bullets.  I just don't want to wait all summer for OLY to make a run of 1x8's.  Thanks again guys.

D.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on my experience, I'd go with the Lothar - you will not be dissappointed!  I have one which I've fired 17,000 rounds through.  No appreciable wear, still shoots sub MOA groups.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Def, the Lothar Walther would be a good choice.

Oly's SUM barrels are great, but I would put the Lothar even or better in quality.

But I am certainly no expert on such matters, esp since I have never owned a Lothar, only know them by reputation.

Fritze Out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top