Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 8:21:50 PM EDT
Ok, I've lost four pivot detent pins trying to put the pivot pin in. Now I have to order more. What can I do to keep the detent pin from flying across the shop? I put the pivot pin in so the wife could try her rifle( I get mine back had.  What do I do?
Thanks,
Chalmers
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok, I've lost four pivot detent pins trying to put the pivot pin in. Now I have to order more. What can I do to keep the detent pin from flying across the shop? I put the pivot pin in so the wife could try her rifle( I get mine back ). I've never had this problem till now.  What do I do?
Thanks,
Chalmers

There's a tool for putting it in, but I have a simpler method.

What you need is another (second) pivot pin or something else like a dowel or ballpoint pen of the same diameter.

Seat the spring and detent and hold it in place with your thumb or an appropriate tool.  Now insert the second pin from the WRONG side with the groove facing opposite the detent -- the idea is to use this pin to retain the detent.  Be careful not to rotate it so the detent locks in this pin!

Then come from the proper side with the pivot pin you want to install oriented properly...just scoot the placeholder pin out as you insert your pivot pin and you're good to go.  Works every time for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  Get a sheet and cover yourself during the install since you are having so much trouble.

2.  Clip the coils on the pivot pin detent spring, until they are just UNDER the depth of the hole in the lower.  This makes the install MUCH easier.

3.  Use a razor blade.... you can hold the detent in, and that is thin enough to install the pivot pin.

It's so simple, once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to local hardware store- purchase a 1/4" clevis pin (has lots of holes in it).  Put clevis pin through hole the opposite side of pivot pin.  (The pivot pin will push the clevis out as you install).  Line up the hole in the clevis w/ the lower- 1) install spring into hole 2) put detent into hole 3) use drill bit or toothpick to push detent into lower.  4) While pushed, carefully rotate the clevis 90 degrees. 5)Take pivot pin and slowly push out the clevis - if done correctly, it will engage the detent/spring assemble and lock into place.

Oh, tip...do this while lower is insdie a clear plastic bag.  If ya get a flyer...it will be "in the bag".... saves you from ordering a .49 cent part w/ $2.00 of shipping....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for install in large ziplock bag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Tryed the second pivot pin. The detent would not go flush. Tryed the pen method. I think its time to cut springs. An buy a 1/4 clevis pin. I had a sheet set up to catch the pin, it didn't workheThanks for all your help!
ATB,
Chalmers
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Try scotch tape over the hole were the take down pin goes, it made it eaiser for me.  I don`t remember how many times I launched the same pin into outer space but I found it everytime.  Must have been the rescue transmitter I installed on it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Just weld them in.

Be careful you dont start a fire though.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
i do mine in a giant ziploc
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
You mean I was supposed to put a spring in there first?

J/K

Good luck.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the tool I made. work well for me

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tryed the second pivot pin. The detent would not go flush. Tryed the pen method. I think its time to cut springs. An buy a 1/4 clevis pin. I had a sheet set up to catch the pin, it didn't workheThanks for all your help!
ATB,
Chalmershr

I just completed my first build.  I wish I knew the detent was supposed to go flush.  I shot that little &%$#*% across the room 4 times and found it 3.  After resigning to the fact I would need to buy another, I shortened the spring by one "ring".  It went in pretty easy after that.  

The next morning my 6 year old son picks up something about 6-8 feet from where I was working and says, "Is this the part you are looking for?"  It actually was.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#12]

The next morning my 6 year old son picks up something about 6-8 feet from where I was working and says, "Is this the part you are looking for?"  It actually was.

Pretty funny!

When I did mine, I was thinking I wonder how some people manage to  lose the detent pin, its not so hard. Sure enough, the pin gets launched into the air. I got lucky though as it hit some papers on my desk and landed right in front of me. So thats how it happens....

So, holding the detent with some jewelers needlenose pliers I push it all the way in so its flush (this while I have a small precision flat head screwdriver waiting to follow and cover it once its flush). With the screwdriver head covering the detent, I push in the pivot pin from the other side and voila, installed!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Just buy about 20 detents and springs this way you have them to sell or when you build lowers for someone they are there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#14]
My preference is 2 gallon+ clear plastic bag, and a round shaft flat blade screwdriver.  Everything in the bag, spring and detent in the hole; screwdriver through the forward takedown holes (from left side) compress the spring and detent with the flat bladed screwdriver and gently press the screwdriver blade back through the receiver hole capturing the detent. Yep, frustrating at times especially if you get in a hurry.  Just don't get in a rush or frustrated.  Some seem to go right in, some seem like you will ever get them in.  ymmv
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Havn't lost a pivot detent, but lost a tiny little spring when installing a locking differential in my pickup. A tiny but very strong spring went flying out across the parking lot at about 60 mph and also some foul language at 760 mph . Had to buy a whole new set of pins and springs, $20 and 3 day wait untill I could use my truck again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The clevis pin is the cat's meow. Just in case, do it in the bathroom (the pin install) - if it launches, it won 't go far!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmm...I've never had this problem before. I don't use a tool, just put the spring in, the detent in - then push it all down using the pin itself then slide it in. Piece of cake.

I guess we all have different levels of dexterity.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Havn't lost a pivot detent, but lost a tiny little spring when installing a locking differential in my pickup. A tiny but very strong spring went flying out across the parking lot at about 60 mph and also some foul language at 760 mph . Had to buy a whole new set of pins and springs, $20 and 3 day wait untill I could use my truck again.

Detroit?

Don't wanna disassemble those things
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Detroit?

Aussie, newer "lunchbox" style, absolutly a great locker!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go to local hardware store- purchase a 1/4" clevis pin (has lots of holes in it).  Put clevis pin through hole the opposite side of pivot pin.  (The pivot pin will push the clevis out as you install).    Line up the hole in the clevis w/ the lower- 1) install spring into hole 2) put detent into hole 3) use drill bit or toothpick to push detent into lower.  4) While pushed, carefully rotate the clevis 90 degrees. 5)Take pivot pin and slowly push out the clevis - if done correctly, it will engage the detent/spring assemble and lock into place.

Oh, tip...do this while lower is insdie a clear plastic bag.  If ya get a flyer...it will be "in the bag".... saves you from ordering a .49 cent part w/ $2.00 of shipping....

Okay.... I forgot the word pin....(sigh)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top