Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2006 4:50:47 AM EDT
Good morning folks. Just bought an AR15 this past weekend and technically speaking it's actually my first own firearm ever! Just to provide a little tid bit about myself, I'm a cadet in the U.S Army ROTC program and will be commisioned this summer as a 2nd Leutinant, so I wanted to get as comfortable with it as much as possible :)

Anyhow, as finished testing the new product out at the range, I noticed that there is possibly a loose or deffective part that is supposed to be flushed to the front part of the rail. Not sure of the exact name of the part, but it appears to be a saucer type thing between the front sight post and the front of the rail. It looks like it has moved from it's original position of being flushed to the front rail. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I need to adjust to move the part flushed to the front rail? Below are some attached photos to better depict what I'm reffering to.

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p792d97d8a53c6b239a9d9af45e77464f/f03ade5b.jpg

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p18ab6bb36d76346dbde6c533ceb1a313/f03ade9d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p792d97d8a53c6b239a9d9af45e77464f/f03ade5b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p18ab6bb36d76346dbde6c533ceb1a313/f03ade9d.jpg

Thanks, Joe

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Good morning folks. Just bought an AR15 this past weekend and technically speaking it's actually my first own firearm ever! Just to provide a little tid bit about myself, I'm a cadet in the U.S Army ROTC program and will be commisioned this summer as a 2nd Leutinant, so I wanted to get as comfortable with it as much as possible :)

Anyhow, as finished testing the new product out at the range, I noticed that there is possibly a loose or deffective part that is supposed to be flushed to the front part of the rail. Not sure of the exact name of the part, but it appears to be a saucer type thing between the front sight post and the front of the rail. It looks like it has moved from it's original position of being flushed to the front rail. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I need to adjust to move the part flushed to the front rail? Below are some attached photos to better depict what I'm reffering to.

Thanks, Joe

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p18ab6bb36d76346dbde6c533ceb1a313/f03ade9d.jpg

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2109315701&idx=2
Made them hot for you (and those of us who need to see to help).

ETA: Sorry, but your pics aren't available.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
First off, made the link hot for you...

Pic Album

Secondly, that "saucer type" thingy is affixed to the front sight base, NOT the rails.  Do the rails feel loose to you?  Looks to me like that is just the way the aftermarket rails fit the handguard cap.  Not the best aesthetics, but if they are tight, shoot the hell out of it.

If I'm talking out my ass, someone will be along shortly to correct me.

ETA:  Pics were available to me and still are via my link...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome aboard joe,

The part in question is the handguard cap, which is supposed to be attached to the FSB (front sight base).

As your rifle appears to have a FF or aftermarket type rail system (instead of the standard or larger M4 handguards) the handguard cap has nothing to hold.

You handguard cap looks like it's supposed to to me.

Mike

ps - fwiw, if it ain't loose it's probably the way it supposed to be...., you can view the pic threads tacked to the top of the AR Discussion forum and you'll notice the same gap on plenty rifles.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Ooops, my bad guys, guess I did not properly link the images. Forgot the link to the 2nd image too. Here it is:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p792d97d8a53c6b239a9d9af45e77464f/f03ade5b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p18ab6bb36d76346dbde6c533ceb1a313/f03ade9d.jpg

By the way, thanks to all you replied. So I guess as long as it's not loose, then I have nothing to worry about? No need for adjustments or nothing? Ok, well that's good enough for me :)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top