Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 4:59:12 AM EDT
The barrel on my rifle seems to be slightly loose. It will rotate enough for the Frontsight to move about 1/8", but the barrel nut is tight and will not move.

What should I do?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I assume the gas tube is not what's keeping the barrel nut from moving?

If the barrel nut is tight and the barrel still twists it must be a loose barrel extension.  The barrel extension has the teeth that the bolt engages and a shoulder that the barrel nut clamps down on.  The barrel is threaded into it.

It may be cheaper to buy a new barrel than fix the problem.  I suspect the barrel extension will not be "clocked" to the front sight after properly torquing it.  If so, the barrel would have to be machined off slightly less than one full thread.  This would require rechambering the barrel(not a good idea with chrome lining).

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Moving 1/8" might mean that the barrel is slipping in the receiver and that distance is just the extension pin hitting the each side of the receiver extension pin slot.  If the barrel extension were loose, then the barrel would just spin out until it bent the gas tube.

To fix a loose barrel in the receiver, you will need to remove the gas tube, vise the upper in a upper vise block, and tighten the barrel nut up to 35lbs, then a little more to get the barrel nut spines correctly indexed to allow the gas tube to pass threw.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top