Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 7:44:31 PM EDT
I just received a set of M4 handguards.  They are loose in the front band.  Is there a solution to this problem?
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=144160&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There are several things I do to "silence" AR type rifles (and not just with M4 handguards).

(1)Put a thin bead of black silicone, the automotive gasket type, which does not have acetic acid (vinegar smell) and thus will not corrode, in the handguard where the "teeth" of the barrel nut engage in the back, and where the front portion contacts the handguard cap.  Let any excess ooze and harden, don't wipe it as it will smear.  Then just cut with a sharp knife and peel away excess.

(2) A nylon Ty-wrap (cable tie) around the base of the front swivel will still allow movement, but silence the rattle.

(3) If upper to lower fit is wobbly, use an Accuwedge.

This will make for a very quiet rifle, no creeks, groans, or rattles.

Also, the handguard may still be easily removed for cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
JB Weld worked for me. Read the link Red-Leg posted.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top