Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 10:47:27 PM EDT
Awww Hell, I just went to swap out buffers and I notice my hand gaurds are kinda loost. Wait the front sight post moves!!!! Seems like the barrels slighty moves... which part do I tighten down again? Sorry it's late and my friend has my AR15/M16  guide
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a loose barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the same problem with a Colt. Check out responses to my post
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=206317
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
My guess - The barrel nut is loose.  Need to remove the FSB OR remove the gas tube, then tighten the barrel nut.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Well that sucks :( guess I have to order some tools now. Bummer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
armonic Sir:
Do NOT repeat DO NOT just tighten that loose barrel!!!! take it apart INSPECT, the guide pin MAY have peened the receiver???,and when you are satisified with the FIT put locktite "BLUE" on the threads and re-install and TORQUE to SPECKS.

Clarence
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Wrench......can you describe to me what that looks like?  "the guide pin MAY have peened the receiver???"
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The barrel is pinned to the barrel extension, and that pin also aligns the barrel with the receiver.  When you take off the barrel nut, you can slip out the barrel from the upper and you will see how the pin fits into a notch in the upper.  This notch should not be chewed up or damaged, you can tell by looking at it if it has been mucked up or not.  If the notch looks undamaged and there are no other signs of damage, put the barrel back in (headspace is set by the barrel extension so you will not alter headspace by removing the barrel) and tighten it up.  I had a loose barrel nut and it had been torqued within specs.  The nut broke loose at 38 or 40 ft-lbs but after I inspected to make sure nothing was wrong, I tightened it up to the next gas port hole, which came into alignment at 70 or 75 pounds (don't recall which right now) on the 4th or 5th try (I did not want to go higher than that and I found that when I backed the nut off and retightened, when I got to the same setting the gas port was just a little closer to be aligned, so I backed off the nut and tried again.  Once it went into alignment I put it all back together and this time the barrel was tight like it should be and did not twist when I put on the FS.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.... put locktite "BLUE" on the threads and re-install and TORQUE to SPECKS.

NEVER use 'Loctite' or any other thread locker on a barrel nut.  A light coating of Moly Disulfide Grease (without graphite) and Torque to SPEC is all you need.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.... put locktite "BLUE" on the threads and re-install and TORQUE to SPECKS.

NEVER use 'Loctite' or any other thread locker on a barrel nut.  A light coating of Moly Disulfide Grease (without graphite) and Torque to SPEC is all you need.

My factory barrel nuts have been an absolute cast iron bitch to remove. I shudder to think about what would happen if they were slathered with Loctite too

<shudders involuntarily>
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Awww Hell, I just went to swap out buffers and I notice my hand gaurds are kinda loost. Wait the front sight post moves!!!! Seems like the barrels slighty moves... which part do I tighten down again? Sorry it's late and my friend has my AR15/M16  guide

Do Not attempt to fix !! Call ADAM at DPMS For warranty repair info.and return authorization
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I like this idea best :) but I hate to be without my AR for so long :( guess I'll have to borrow a barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top