Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:35:09 PM EDT
May sound like a stupid question; how much would a loose barrel nut affect accuracy on a 16" Carbine build?

When I first got the rifle, it shot about 0.9 MOA at 100Y with hand loads.

I then upgraded the muzzle device, but didn't have the proper tools so I torqued the barrel. Didn't realize until 3 weeks later when the freefloated handguard shook loose, but I had also loosened the barrel nut during the installation.
Before I realized anything was wrong, I shot the rifle, and could only get about 2-2.5MOA

I sent the rifle in for repairs and just got it back. Should I expect the accuracy to drop back down to about 1MOA now that the barrel nut is retightened? Or did I permanently damage my rifle?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The barrel is probably fine. Unless you bent the barrel (VERY hard to do), it'll go back to being accurate, once it's properly reinstalled...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be fine .  We had two customers with builds that had loose barrels. Re torque them and they shot fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. So the loose nut does account for the accuracy drop?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it  does and accuracy will return when the barrel nut is tightened.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably ought  to tighten up the nut at the end of the stock a little too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably ought  to tighten up the nut at the end of the stock a little too.

nice. Yeah, he's been tightened up
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes it  does and accuracy will return when the barrel nut is tightened.

Yes.  If you can feel any play in the barrel it will not shoot accurately.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top