Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 11:35:12 PM EDT
Just curious as to the quality of the lower priced $299 and under scopes.   I know the leupolds have a great reputation and I recently bought a nice VXII but I saw the nikons for a bit less and wondered if they were worthwhile?   How do the Nikons compare to the loopy?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, the Nikon is a better scope at this price point. When I was working in a gunshop, we had people who came in and bought Leupolds without looking through any other brand of scope. But when people shopped Leups Vs. Niks, 90% bought the Nikon. I have a Nikon 3-9x on my 30.06 bolt gun and I am picking up a new Nikon UCC Monarch 2-7x for my AR this month. I think the adj ring is easier to move on the Nikon, and it brings in more light. YMMV, so go to a store that sells both and pick the one you like better. One thing is for sure, the are both the best quality scopes in your price range.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Nikon fixed 4x, 150.00 I think it was. Very dissatisfied with it and sent it back. Weaver makes a rimfire 4x twice the quality at 112.00. Rimfire scopes are parallax set to 50yds. FYI.
Monarch line are the only quality Nikon scopes I have seen. Most all the leupold scopes will deliver satasfaction for price. One additional thing you get with the Leupold is if it is not up to its intended quality, American made product with lifetime service right here with factory service/quick turnaround....

Can you see where I am going with this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Nikon Monarch series has a better light transmission than the Leupold Vari-X III scopes, 95% compared to 92%. I've never checked out the cheaper Nikon Buckmaster line, but would still recommend the Monarchs. And Nikon also has a lifetime warranty on their scopes as well. The only Nikon scope that I currently have is a Monarch 4X40, and it's on my slug gun that I hunt deer with. And I can honestly say that it has the brightest, clearest view of any scope that I have ever looked through (and I've owned a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X40.)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two Leupold Vari-X IIIs 3.5-10x40, a Vari-X II 3-9x40 and a Nikon UCC Monarch 6.5-20x44. I had always been a Leupold fan but was ready to try something different and always had an eye on Nikon. Well, I bought the Nikon and I can honestly say that I like the scope as much as my Leupolds. Bottom line, check them both out and buy the one you like best. You can't go wrong with either and both companies stand behind their products.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top