Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2010 3:15:03 PM EDT

No pricing on components yet. This lower may very well replace the AR-10 lower on my .308 build checklist.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
need more companies to make ar10 lowers to drive cost down just alittle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely beautiful. Perhaps this will be my entry into the .308 world.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I guess another 308 won't hurt right?  Any idea of when these will be out? Is that an AR-10 style upper or Knights?  Never could tell the difference between the two of those but the magazine (pmag) has questioning its compatibility with Armalite
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice. It's good to see all these .308's coming out. Every company should make one. Well everyone except olympic arms. They need to go away.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well I guess another 308 won't hurt right?  Any idea of when these will be out? Is that an AR-10 style upper or Knights?  Never could tell the difference between the two of those but the magazine (pmag) has questioning its compatibility with Armalite

I found these on their FB page. Said testing was done and they were entering the production phase. No release date.

Looks to be a AR-10 style upper. Maybe they figured out a way to make the Pmags work with it??

Someone with more knowledge than me can chime in and elaborate on whether thats even possible.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.  Needs a forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most of the big boy manufacturers(LaRue, KAC and LMT) do not use forward assists on their 7.62 models. It's really not a necessary feature.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the big boy manufacturers(LaRue, KAC and LMT) do not use forward assists on their 7.62 models. It's really not a necessary feature.

I'm more from the school that says, "You don't want to fire the .308/7.62 round that required the use of the foward assist".

But, I do LIKESIT on my 4th of July Sale AR-10A4BF upper!!!

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Do Want!
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#13]
That is sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, Stoner and Knight hate the forward assists.  And for probably the correct reasons.

Like forward assist, want forward assist.  Don't care if it's dangerous.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12766

Nice gun, though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Forward Assist: If it's getting stuck in the chamber, let's make it really stuck!

Bill
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeeeeha!

I was hoping they would......

and it takes PMAGS

Where's Stickman?
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Forward Assist: If it's getting stuck in the chamber, let's make it really stuck!

Bill

It's nice to be able to close the bolt on a round "quietly" sometimes....
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Inertia can achieve the same effect as a forward assist..try it some time. (The FA isn't needed on .308 guns, furthermore I don't even think the .308 carriers have the ratchet teeth that the ar-15 carriers do.)

From what I've heard this mega receiver set has dpms patterned magwell and receiver threads and armalite rail height...can anyone verify?
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

It's nice to be able to close the bolt on a round "quietly" sometimes....

Yeah, I agree. I never really got the point of a FA in rifles. Then sitting in a patrol base I needed to load a round quietly. It dawned on me why a fighting weapon should have some sort of forward assist. There are ways to do it without the FA, but it makes it easier.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#20]
"There will be a monolithic upper for the MA-10. We are in the design stage and will be in production before the end of the year."

Posted on their facebook page
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"There will be a monolithic upper for the MA-10. We are in the design stage and will be in production before the end of the year."

Wow. That's gonna be epic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been in touch with Mega for some time and here is
what they told me. The mag well is of the
DPMS design thats why the Pmags work.
The barrel nut is gonna be DPMS also. Ar-15 parts kit
will work with it.
I had asked about info regarding parts that
are compatable with the Mega. They said they
would make that info available
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. That's gonna be epic.

No Kidding
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have been in touch with Mega for some time and here is
what they told me. The mag well is of the
DPMS design thats why the Pmags work.
The barrel nut is gonna be DPMS also. Ar-15 parts kit
will work with it.
I had asked about info regarding parts that
are compatable with the Mega. They said they
would make that info available

The real question is will the upper accept Noveske (AR10 type) barrels, if so, what BCG?  AR10? DPMS? (hopefully DPMS)

THAT is the real question IMO - bridging the gap between DPMS uppers and AR10 style barrels with truly proper feedramp / barrel extension / headspace mating.

I've been in contact as well all morning with them.  They are some awesome guys with awesome products for sure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#25]
BCG DPMS
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#26]
What about Noveske barrels?
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I watched a video today about them and IIRC they said it would work with any barrel. I could be mistaken though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just got an email back from them on this issue

They say they are 99% sure there will be no issues with Noveske barrels

sounds like they are in the final stages of "tweeking" and testing...basically they said
that if there has to be some kind of design change to accommodate the Noveske barrel
they are unaware of it at this time...hence the 99%

so keep your fingers crossed if you think that will help

sounds pretty darned positive barring any unforeseen issues...

edited to add:

sure would like to see Daniel Defense put that CHF to work making .308 barrels for t his.....16" and 18" CHF Cr Lined....light wt profiles

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Sort of confusing to me as to why they chose to use DPMS type mags but the angle of the cuts where the receivers meet up is like an Armalite.  I'm assuming it is so you have to use their upper if you use their lower.  I love my .308 build but all this proprietary .308 stuff is really frustrating and keeps component prices higher than they probably could be if everyone would standardize.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got an email back from them on this issue

They say they are 99% sure there will be no issues with Noveske barrels

sounds like they are in the final stages of "tweeking" and testing...basically they said

that if there has to be some kind of design change to accommodate the Noveske barrel

they are unaware of it at this time...hence the 99%

so keep your fingers crossed if you think that will help

sounds pretty darned positive barring any unforeseen issues...

edited to add:

sure would like to see Daniel Defense put that CHF to work making .308 barrels for t his.....16" and 18" CHF Cr Lined....light wt profiles

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds very promising. I went with a LMT MWS and still would but Mega makes great product, and I am loving seeing all these .308's out there. Options are good and may very well drive the prices down.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I just wanna use DPMS BCGs, PMAGS, AR15 collapsables, DD Lite FFs and Noveske barrels - is that too much to ask?!

The real problem is Noveske - STUCK on the AR10 platform.  I talked to them yesterday and they said they MIGHT think about DPMS barrels, but it would not be in 2010.  So if MEGA can pull this off somehow with no headspacing issues, I think there are solutions for various buffers (slash's) and buffer springs to good a well functioning 308.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Is the upper Armalite threads or KAC/DPMS threads?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#34]
see below
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sort of confusing to me as to why they chose to use DPMS type mags but the angle of the cuts where the receivers meet up is like an Armalite. I'm assuming it is so you have to use their upper if you use their lower. I love my .308 build but all this proprietary .308 stuff is really frustrating and keeps component prices higher than they probably could be if everyone would standardize.

It does seem like they would want to use the DPMS profile so people who already have various LR308 parts could swap in a Mega lower or upper if so desired.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't care if it's dangerous.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sort of confusing to me as to why they chose to use DPMS type mags but the angle of the cuts where the receivers meet up is like an Armalite. I'm assuming it is so you have to use their upper if you use their lower. I love my .308 build but all this proprietary .308 stuff is really frustrating and keeps component prices higher than they probably could be if everyone would standardize.

It does seem like they would want to use the DPMS profile so people who already have various LR308 parts could swap in a Mega lower or upper if so desired.

Here's off their facebook page

#
Mega MachineShop Look for parts compatibility details for the MA-TEN soon. The MA-TEN was designed to be the most compatible 308 on the market. Our engineering has filled the gaps where others have fallen short!!
23 hours ago ·
#
Mega MachineShop There will be a monolithic upper for the MA-TEN. We are in the design stage and will be in production before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
<takei> Oh my... </takei>
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#39]
My ONLY issue with ANY 308 that isn't an RRA is the fact that I live in NY and for me to have any mags over 10 rounds they need to be preban. I know there are probaly MILLIONS of preban FN mags out there I could get for the RRA, so that will probably be my choice when the time comes. GREAT looking gun though!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SR25 (original AR10) profile.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My ONLY issue with ANY 308 that isn't an RRA is the fact that I live in NY and for me to have any mags over 10 rounds they need to be preban. I know there are probaly MILLIONS of preban FN mags out there I could get for the RRA, so that will probably be my choice when the time comes. GREAT looking gun though!

Larue sells a permanently blocked 10 round lr pmag.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Gunner 1 get the f outta NY so you can get some real mags
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice. It's good to see all these .308's coming out. Every company should make one. Well everyone except olympic arms. They need to go away.

+1 on that

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#44]
well I know what the first piece of my .308 build will be
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Time to buy some mags
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#46]
That looks like a billet upper and lower. It'll probably be a little bit heavier than the Knight's. Perhaps on-par with LaRue's (if not heavier). Sounds like it may be a great "sniper" or "target" rifle rig, especially if matched to a Noveske barrel. I wonder if they'll offer a 16" chrome-lined barrel model with a rifle length gas system similar to Knight's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sort of confusing to me as to why they chose to use DPMS type mags but the angle of the cuts where the receivers meet up is like an Armalite.  I'm assuming it is so you have to use their upper if you use their lower.  I love my .308 build but all this proprietary .308 stuff is really frustrating and keeps component prices higher than they probably could be if everyone would standardize.

Why could you not use an Armalite upper? If the lower is designed to to use the DPMS mags and Armalite style uppers, what does it matter if it has an Armalite upper on it? Is the armalite upper different in the feed ramp area that requires the use of a M-14 mag?
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why could you not use an Armalite upper? If the lower is designed to to use the DPMS mags and Armalite style uppers, what does it matter if it has an Armalite upper on it? Is the armalite upper different in the feed ramp area that requires the use of a M-14 mag?

IIRC, it's the opening of the upper that's too narrow for the SR25 style mags.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Any updates on this?

EDIT:  Just talked with MEGA and they said these are "a couple of months away."  Ugh.  So much for the new rifle for hunting season!  ARGH.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Love it. Love Mega Machine. They really need to do a monolithic upper like their AR15 MTS uppers to put themselves way above the rest...

Imagine Noveske barreled MEGA MTS 308.

-JD
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top