Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2003 7:37:08 AM EDT
and why?  I've heard that the Aimpoint batteries last a lot longer and that the EOTech might be more rugged. I have no personal experience with red-dot sights except fondling them in the shops. These seem to be the top contenders (unles the ACOG is worth the extra money...)

Thanks,

Coffee
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint got longer battery life, EOTech is much faster in CQB, both are rugged.  you can't go wrong with either unit.  Both are highly coveted by the US military, LEO and civilians alike.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Recommend doing a search as there have been several very good/long threads on the Eotect vs Aimpoint and of course why not spend the money to get the BAC ACOG.

Have a couple Aimpoints, one ACOG, plus used friends Eotechs on subguns, thus still a newby in this area, however, for what it is worth the short summary (my version ;-) is:

If you are shooting 200 yards and under all the time, with a lot of shooting done fast and at very close ranges (25 yards and under) ... then either the Aimpoint or Eotech work great (friend just got back from the Gulf after using the Aimpoint for a year).

The BAC ACOGs (TA31, TA31f, TA11 or TA11f) work great at a distance (great optics, 3.5 to X4 maginificaition, work at night etc.) PLUS with the BAC aiming (where you shoot with both eyes open) you can still use the BAC ACOGs for tatical applications (be they real world or action matches) from off the end of the barrel to many dozen of yards (at which point the X4 is fine).

The Aimpoint is a little simpler for me, in particular the knob is faster to turn on/adjust and I like the larger 4 MOA dot out to 100 yards.  Lastly at this point in time there are a few more mounting options for the Aimpoint to have it co-witness with your iron sights, however, the Eotech is catching up fast.

The Eotech works very well, and is liked by many.  The large outer ring (65 MOA) gives many a fast aiming point at close range and the 1 MOA dot is a little finer than the Aimpoints at greater distances than a 100 yards.

While I perfer the Aimpoint, is primarly due to the larger center dot for medium distance (25 to 75 yards) plus having been an Aimpoint user for ~ 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
[lolabove]

'nuff said?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have four Aimpoints and two Eotechs.

One significant advantage of the Eotech IMHO is that you can just bolt it onto a flatop upper without being concerned about mounts, etc. It will co-witness the irons just fine unless you get into bolt-on rail systems.

Both have about the Same MTBF as a crowbar.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=164971&w=searchPop]The Aimpoint v. Eotech Thread From Hell[/url]

Both the Eotech and the Aimpoint are durable, flexible, outstanding CQB optics. The fact is, it really comes down to personal preference between the two. Your deciding factors should be reticle type, controls, mounting options and battery life, in that order, IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the great replies, folks! ... And the "thread from hell" was very informative (but without a clear cut winner [:\]). I had not thought about the simplicity of finding the controls in the dark - stupid on my part and a point for the Aimpoint. The auto shutoff to conserve batteries and the 1 MOA dot on the EOTech are also good points. Guess I'm going to have to get an AimTech or more than one flat-top. Any further info, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

(still confused)

Coffee
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And the "thread from hell" was very informative (but without a clear cut winner [:\]).

(still confused)
View Quote

Might as well get used to that feeling, probably not going to get any easier to have people agree which is better. It's kinda like the Ford v. Chevy thing. Try both if you have the opportunity.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
EOtec 552 with Energizer Lithium AA batteries now you get it all ,no down side -40deg F to 140deg F fast,long lasting ,easy to mount ,durable and depenable,what else could want.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top