Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2004 6:26:47 PM EDT
But not sure about which one to pick up.  I've got a budget of about $1000, give or take a hundred.  I am looking for an rifle that I can use for some hunting, but also as an accurate plinker at the range to work on my marksmanship with.  I'd like to be able to use iron sights on this rifle, prior to outfitting it with a scope (which I want to do later).  Obviously, I'm looking for one rifle to fulfill a lot of roles.  However, I'm a broke college student, or will be after this purchase + ammo + range time hree
Someone has suggested I get a Rock River DCM.  I looked at the specs and it looks like basically what I want.  I have also heard people say I could get an AR-15, and later pick up a 7.62NATO upper.  Someone else indicated that will not work.  It would be nice to be able to shoot both calibers from one lower, the 7.62 NATO would be nice for larger game in particular.  If I had to pick just one, however, while I slightly lean towards the 5.56mm, I am definitely open to suggestions chambered in 7.62NATO.

Anyways, I thought I'd post here because just about everyone on this forum should know their AR-15s (seeing as this is an AR-15 forum).
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at Armalites AR10 or Bushmasters BAR10 both are quality rilfes but with a high price tag, I have never heard of getting a 7.62 upper to work with a AR15 lower, I doubt it would work with that big of a round
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
But I would definetly wait till after sept14 so you can get yourself a Post preban rifle
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
WELCOME

what do you plan on hunting?

if its varmint then get a 16" 5.56 from RRA, Buashmaster, or Armalite.

if its anything the size of a deer or bigger I would reccomend a 16" .308 from armalite.

problem is mags... which may not be one in a couple months due to the AWB kicking the bucket.

or...

you can build one of your own and save a few bucks...

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont think a carbine would be best for hunting and perfecting your skills, would porbably be best to go rifle length
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I dont think a carbine would be best for hunting and perfecting your skills, would porbably be best to go rifle length

but he also mentioned SHTF...

a 20" with an A2 stock is quite long when compared to a carbin with a telestock
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but he also mentioned SHTF...

a 20" with an A2 stock is quite long when compared to a carbin with a telestock

yeah but after sept 14 he can put a Collapsable stock on the 20" AR10 so that would work out good
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
perhaps something along the lines of a disipator setup.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But I would definetly wait till after sept14 so you can get yourself a Post preban riflehr

I dont know what exactly I would really want for this application that the ban prohibits to be on the rifle, ie, not counting high capacity magazines.  Since my emphasis is on accuracy over tactical, if ARs without a flash hiders are significantly cheaper right after the ban than ARs with the flash hider, I'll do without and save the $$$.  I dont need a bayonet lug, except to piss Diane Feinstein off.  Which, really, isnt all that bad of a reason to want one hunting
However, the above parts about the AWB only apply to this rifle.  If I were building a second AR or just getting a different upper or lower to change this configuration around some, then I'll be glad to be able to use some of the currently banned features.  I have been hoping for a long time that the AWB would sail off into the sunset, never to be seen again.  You'll never find me advocating gun control, with small exception that I DO advocate using both hands  .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome and wait till mid Sept. before you buy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Man, welcome. I was kind of  in the same boat as you. Looking to target shoot, but also just general plinking, home defense, etc.  I also decided the post-ban features were not that important ot me other than I want "normal" capacity mags instead of "restricted" mags. I might add a collaposable stock to get some adjustment on it, but I ended up (last week) purchasing a Bushmaster XM15-E2S A3 20" with 1/9 rifling and removable carry handle (i.e. flat top) from Sportsmans Warehouse for $800:  

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s20.asp

Still breaking it in, but I love it so far:

http://www.kacweb.com/media/blackrifle1.jpg

Good Luck with whatever your decision is,
KAC
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
For small game, a std bushmaster 20" heavy barrel or gov barrel would be great.  Some prefer the 16" if you're not doing long range with it.  Something else to consider - check out a Springfield M1A scout rifle.  Its 7.62, lot more punch, comparable in size, and could be found near your price range.  Larger caliber gets expensive compared to 5.56 though.  

Both have good iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#14]
might want to get something in a 1:7 twist so you can sling that heavier lead out there for hunting

also get an A3/A4 so you can have a detachable carry handle for irons, but can take it off to scope it.

MadMan
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top