Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 8:15:08 PM EDT
But I'm noticing some severly inflated prices.  The justification, other than just market demand, Im told is that Colt supposedly won't sell AR's to the public in the now legal, unrestricted configurations.  I tried the search feature to see if there was any info in the archives this but I guess it won't go back any further than December '04 until I pay to be an AR15.com member.

Can anyone tell me if the is any truth to the allegations that Colt isn't selling guns in formerly "LEO/Gov't or Export only" configuration to US citizens who can legally own such things?  If so, can you point to specific documentation.  Perhaps written notice sent to FFL's?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do a search for 6920 or LEO you'll find out more than you wanted to know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do...thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Immediately after the ban sunset, prices for the Colts were about $900 but they rose rapidly to over $1400 or more for the 6920.  I saw them at $1500 here and $1800 at gunshows.  I put in for one at Clyde Armory and I hope to get one soon at about $1200.  These seem to fetch about $1350 now on the EE.   If Colt does indeed further restrict these rifles then the prices will not fall much and might creep up over time. My number at Clyde Armory is 217, so I should get one soon since they just filled the orders to about 160+.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
May be I missed something but it seems the bottomline is that there is only rumor and speculation with regard to Colt's civilian sales policy.  No one has brought forth any specific documentation stating Colt won't sell rifles in formerly restricted configuration to civilians who can legally own them.  But there is an issue of supply and demand.  Demand is such that with the available supply, Colt's can and do fetch $1500+.

There will always be buyers who just have to have a Colt.  Be it the AR15 or the 1911.  I'm sure Colt and many dealers are glad to have such people but I'm not one of them.  I'm looking to buy an AR15 carbine and Colt's Law Enformcement Carbine/6920 seemed ideal.  But for me, Colt markings, M4 feed ramps, and cute markings on the rail aren't worth an extra 30-40% for the same rifle avaiable from Bushmaster or Rock River Arms considering I will likely be buying two that will both see a great deal of use for as long as I can legally do so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure after running your search you realized that there is a lot of hype/speculation about Colt selling to civilians. Whether or not Colt has "officially" announced this or not has yet to be confirmed. One thing for sure is they are still producing them (LEO weapons) at a very rapid pace and the quality control is slipping. All AR makers are scrambling to keep up with demand and most manufacturers have at least a 30 day backlog. Are the Colt's any better than Bushmaster, RockRiver, or Armalite? Only you can decide that. I have a Bushmaster and just recently purchased a Colt 6920. I like both, but the finish on my Bushmaster is nicer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top