Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2007 12:46:18 PM EDT
I am on the hunt for unfinished upper/lower receivers & barrel (ie no coating such as teflon or anything like that).

I dont have a drill press, so blanks wont work either... Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.nodakspud.com/index.htm

Dat-gum, they are proud of those! Is everyone that carries them like that? I can a complete lower for $165...
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Call Essential Arms they'll sell you an uncompleted AR lower. I was/am thinking of doing a chrome plated AR and they told me they can sell me an unfinished lower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have bought stuff from Olympic Arms before unfinished.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Call Essential Arms they'll sell you an uncompleted AR lower. I was/am thinking of doing a chrome plated AR and they told me they can sell me an unfinished lower.

Chrome plated, sounds phuking awsome!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you going to do with an unfinished one?
I was thinking of polishing up an old set I have. I have polished aluminum for race bikes before to a mirror finish.
Then add a white stock set and chrome carrier............................
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What are you going to do with an unfinished one?
I was thinking of polishing up an old set I have. I have polished aluminum for race bikes before to a mirror finish.
Then add a white stock set and chrome carrier............................

Im doing my custom build in FDE & Black. So I figured either receivers tan w/ blk furniture OR blk receivers w/ tan furniture. Measuring prices, durabilty, etc. for both set ups.
Ive heard good things about both Duracoat and Aluma-hyde II, but AHII is easier to do at home...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get a finished (anodized) lower, then spray your choice of finish over it. Anodizing gives an AR lower it's strength (durability).
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would get a finished (anodized) lower, then spray your choice of finish over it. Anodizing gives an AR lower it's strength (durability).

I didnt know I could do it that way. Will the coating I spray hold just as well as being on an unfinished?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#10]
First off.........NEVER CHROME PLATE AN ALUMINUM GUN PART.........unless its vacuum deposited.

The chroming process is rather lengthy and the added thickness is uneven at best.

For aluminum it goes thru a zincate, copper then repolished then into nickle and finaly the chrome.

With that type of plating the edges and ends build thicker than the flats and middles. Its a good way to make a gun stop working.

The annodizing is not conducive to letting other coatings "stick" to it. So if you want paint or something else along those lines.....a stripped part is the best way to go.

Annodizing is nothing more than dyeing the corrosion of aluminum. The beauty of annodizing is that its in effect ALUMINUM OXIDE and is really hard (see SAND PAPER) it is also a great system for coating because it is "rust" so to speak and as the annodizing builds up it no longer conducts electricity. When it wont conduct electricity the current goes to the next open. This is why under controled condition by chemical bath controls and current you can literally control the thickness of the part.

Me? good old fashioned black annodizing is perfect and if you know an annodizer you can do some really cool stuff with it.

If anyone needs any extra info........hit me up. Metal finishing is how I paid the rent thru college and Im glad I experieced it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top