Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 5:28:01 PM EDT
Ok guys, a while ago,I got my hands on a 200 rd battle pack of Hirtenburger Short range lead free cartridges. They are loaded very hot (4000 fps) but they are only 17 grain plastic bullets with a copper jacket. Yes that is right, 17 grain. Maximum range out of my rifles was about 35 yds. They are great to shoot indoors and at steel at very close (10 yds) without fear of splashback or richochets.

Anybody know of a source of this stuff, or a Hirtenberger dealer? I am running low and would like to pick up some more. Problem is I don't remember where I got it from. Please Help if you can. Thanks.

This stuff is also great when fired out of shorties, HUGE muzzle flash and KaBoom. Sounds like a howitzer going off, makes everybody stop and look.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the boxes have any lot #'s, or more importantly, product serial #'s.  I have a feeling your probably out of luck, since I don't think Hirtenberger sells their military ammo directly to civilians.  Here is a link to their ammo website [url]http://www.hirtenberger.at/index_hp_e.htm[/url] they only show their hunting ammo on the website but there is a email address.  Maybe write them and see if they have any vendors in the US that sells the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheaper than dirt used to sell it. They are out. They do have a plastic 9mm training load available though. Very cheap. $29/864 rounds.

A steal for any 9mm revolver shooters.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
A while back I was also looking for some of that Hirtenberger Short Range Lead Free ammo.  It's cool looking stuff.  I contacted them at the factory and they said that they stopped making the stuff several years ago.  I don't have any right now, but I do seem to run across it occasionally and I'd be happy to point you to the source if I find any more of it.  Just email me with the subject line "Hirt 5.56 SRLF" and I'll let you know if I find any.  Delete the words "REMOVETHIS" from my email address to contact me.

I'm just guessing, but I suspect they stopped making it because they had to load the stuff pretty hot to get it to cycle properly.  Every round I fired felt "hotter" and had flattened primers, although it did cycle reliably in my M16.  I have spoken to other folks who have used that ammo who said that it did not cycle reliably for them.

When I couldn't find a steady supply of the Hirtenberger stuff, I started looking around for a new source of frangible ammo and I found TTI Armory.  I have since become a distributor for that line of ammo, and they make frangible loads that cycle reliably.  223 frangible is $8.95 per box of 20, plus shipping.  I can hook you up if you want to try the TTI ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know about the Hirt. stuff, but I seem to recall an advertisement in a recent gun rag for some ammo similar to what you're looking for.  I seem to remember it was made by PMC and was called "PMC Green", though they don't list it on their website.  Has the same qualities you mentioned and is current manufacture.  Has lead/mercury free primers, too, IIRC.  You can go to [url]http://www.pmcammo.com/pmc/contacts.html[/url] for their contact info.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I had heard about the PMC stuff but had not seen it. The Hirtenburger stuff was a hoot to shoot, especially inside a range. It would cycle FA as well as any semi around. According to the factory specs it was loaded to around 4000 fps. They said it was good out beyond 50 yds, but I could never print on target beyond 30. Guess I'll just wait, some is bound to pop up sometime.

Thanks again for the good info. I appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top