Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 9:12:55 PM EDT
I've got a lower receiver I'd like refinished using the moly resin process.  Does anyone know of someone near the L.A. area that can do this?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy the stuff and do it in your garage. You can do it, we can help!

And then you'll be able to do all your other stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The only problem is, it's my understanding that I need a compressor and airbrush to apply the coating.  I don't have either one.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
You can use a disposable air bottle with a hobby air brush

This is what I have used:  www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1196

I eventually got a regulator for my compressor, but the air bottle worked just fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Doctor M14:
The only problem is, it's my understanding that I need a compressor and airbrush to apply the coating.  I don't have either one.  

$50 for the set at WalMart.. in the hobby section with the model airplanes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  Maybe I'll give this a try myself.

I notice that on the moly resin website they mention that for best adhesion to sandblast the parts.  They made it sound as though sandblasting was optional but recommended.  Did you sandblast or not?  If so how much?  Do you just need enough to roughen the surface a little bit or are you trying to actually remove the factory finish?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get a real nice airbrush at Harbor Freight $12.99:
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93506
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#9]
No, you don't have to sandblast an AR lower.  The anodized finish is more than rough enough to allow good adhesion.  It must be degreased well.  I just get a gallon of cheap lacquer thinner and soak in it in a bucket.  I bake in the oven in the kitchen.

Do not worry about getting the moly in holes, on threads, etc.  It goes on very, very thin and will not fill in serial numbers or other markings.

The cheap hobby airbrush is all you need.

OK, say you spray it and it has runs and looks like crap.  Until you bake it (to cure it) the moly will come right off with lacquer thinner.  You can always start over.

Man, you will have to be a real klutz to mess this job up.  

BTW, the Flat Black Socom will match most uppers, and vise versa.  Here is a picture of a DPMS lower and an old A1 upper that I sprayed with Moly Resin.  I put them together in this photo just to show the match of color and texture.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
When YOU refinish your items you must post photos!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info guys.  This sounds easy enough to do myself.  My last question is, what color do I need?

I've got an M16A1 upper I bought from CDNN.  It is the Colt gray and doesn't match any of my lowers (RRA or Lauer).  

I see on the moly resin website there are two different colors for early M16s "Grayish-Black-Flat" and "Gray Flat".  Does anyone know which color I need?  I'm trying to build an M16A1 replica, and it would be great if I could get away with refinishing only the stripped lower and have it match the upper, instead of doing both the lower and the upper.  

I suppose if I spray the lower and it doesn't match, then I could also do the upper but for a first time project I'd prefer to only experiment on a $99 lower.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone use the new "Air Dry Black" moly resin?  How's it compare to the regular flat black?  I wouldn't have to worry about dealing with ovens if this works out nicely.    
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I emailed Norells about that over a week ago and have not heard anything back yet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a pic of my CDNN upper and a lower in Grayish-Black, the color match is not perfect but good enough for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top