BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:30:12 AM EDT
For a 6.8SPC that can shoot submoa.

* Needs to be tough.
* I would like some kind of drop compensation for shots up to 600y.  Either a BDC dial, or something in the reticle.
* Illumination would be nice, but is not required .
* Looking for a variable zoom.  I'm leaning toward something like 3-10x, but I'd consider 1-4x
* Assume target to be a 'plastic Ivan' type, I'm not looking to shoot 'chucks at 600y so extream magnification isn't needed.

I'd need the price to be in the $500 range.  This optic will be replacing a 3x Compact ACOG (which I like, but I don't think it's enough scope for what I want this rifle for).  I like the TA-11s/TA-31s but would prefer something less expensive.

Are there target knobs for the Accupoints?

What are your suggestions and WHY?

My Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Asked close to the same question in Leitner-Wise section.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you get any good answers?  Maybe I should try to up the limit to $700 or so..
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you get any good answers?  Maybe I should try to up the limit to $700 or so..

Forest, except for an NXS scope (ideally a 1-4X). I have settled on this configuraton for my 6.8SPC SPRish (16.5 ") and its twin 5.56MM. The 6.8 has a TA11E and the 5.56MM has a TA31F. It is the one in the background (6.8). Old pic, but good enough for Gov't work.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T with 77gr BDC cam?
That seems to be a very popular scope for the 6.8s.
Leupys are tough, it's illuminated, zoom, BDC (both reticle and dial), range estimation...

IOR M1 or Super M2 with .308 BDC?

Because they're tough, relatively inexpensive, and have a BDC that should work fairly well with your .6.8.

Burris EuroDiamond 1.5-6x40 with target turrets and Kenton Industries BDC dials?
Because they're relatively inexpensive, very clear, and can be done up with BDC.

ATN 2-6x40LU with 6 BDC cams?
Nah, I was just kidding

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The 6.8 has a TA11E and the 5.56MM

That was one option.  I was hoping to avoid spending that much though.   That would give me the BDC my Compact ACOG is currently lacking.

<Insert mandatory Pic of my 6.8 >

Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T with 77gr BDC cam?

Thanks for the tip!  I'm definately going to check that one out.  Somebody in another thread mentioned Leupy but didn't specify the model.

IOR M1 or Super M2 with .308 BDC?

That was a consideration, though it lacks the zoom feature.  However, I think I'd prefer the TA-11 if I were going with a fixed magnification for the durability and BAC.

Burris EuroDiamond 1.5-6x40 with target turrets and Kenton Industries BDC dials?
Because they're relatively inexpensive, very clear, and can be done up with BDC.

I'm completely unfamilier with this optic.  But I like the zoom range. I'm going to check it out, my thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How do these compare to the 'Tactical XTR Version' which is $100 more?  

I like the idea of the dot reticle of the 'Hunter'  but the XTR seems to have built in target knobs?

Kinda heavy, but I guess that is the price for a less expensive scope.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do these compare to the 'Tactical XTR Version' which is $100 more?  

I like the idea of the dot reticle of the 'Hunter'  but the XTR seems to have built in target knobs?

Kinda heavy, but I guess that is the price for a less expensive scope.

The NEWEST model of the EuroDiamond has 8 levels of illumination while the Tactical only has 2.
I didn't expect much interest on this one, so I didn't add that target turrets are an $80 "Burris Custom Shop" extra for the Euro.  Basically, that $100 for the Tactical almost covers the turrets.

The "other" tacticals use thicker materials than their non-tactical counterparts, resulting in some VERY heavy scopes.  I don't know if the 1.5-6 is the same.

With the Euro, you have the option of the P4 with "electro-dot" as well as the regular illuminated P4, while I think the Tactical has the illuminated plex (standard "+")  My preference would be for the Euro as I've found the Burris 2-position illumination to be SEVERELY lacking, (too bright on low) and I also lean more towards the electro-dot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The NEWEST model of the EuroDiamond has 8 levels of illumination while the Tactical only has 2.
I didn't expect much interest on this one, so I didn't add that target turrets are an $80 "Burris Custom Shop" extra for the Euro.  Basically, that $100 for the Tactical almost covers the turrets.

Ok so I buy the scope then send it back in for the target knobs, then contact the other company for their cams (which I can install?).

Sounds like a plan.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Forest,
In my experience, I have encountered several burris scopes that weren't very good. One or two had canted reticles. Another had difficulty with click adjustments, wherein you clicked ones and it would move an inch instead of 1/4. Plus, when you adjusted the elevation, the windage would also move and vice versa.  You would definitely do better with the Leupold MR/T scopes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Forest,
In my experience, I have encountered several burris scopes that weren't very good. One or two had canted reticles. Another had difficulty with click adjustments, wherein you clicked ones and it would move an inch instead of 1/4. Plus, when you adjusted the elevation, the windage would also move and vice versa.  You would definitely do better with the Leupold MR/T scopes.

Wierd...  I've only owned three Burris scopes, but haven't had any problems with them.  The only ones I've ever seen that weren't great were the "compact" scopes... (very dim and foggy)

Burris does have the "forever" warranty though.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the MR/T, and I suggested that one FIRST... but the Burris' I've used were excellent in the glass dept.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I like they Leupy after looking at it's specs, but the price is a bit more than I'd prefer to spend on this project.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:33:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I've gone thru the Burris compact, fulfeild II, and signature. I'm sure there many burris users out there that are happy with their scopes. I am merely responding with what I have experienced. And the most important lesson I've learned regarding scope selection is to buy the best scope one can afford for your platform. If I was scoping a rimfire, I would use a less expensive scope. Starting from the bottom and working your way up will cost you more time and money. Burris glass is not bad, but so is my Simmons 44 mag scope. And there is a huge difference in price. Spend a bit more and get the leupold.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top