Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 9:56:40 AM EDT
When I was in the Infantry towards the end of the 90s, a sergeant had a weapons sling that he got from a British soldier.  It attached at the front and back of the weapon, with a 'strap' running alongside it, and went over the opposite shoulder and under the shooting side armpit.  It had a buckle that connected the left-hand (RH shooter) strap to the front connection.  Releasing the buckle would allow the sling to slide back 'down the weapon' towards the butt.  It was a two-point sling when connected, that could be set up for tension when taking a standing/kneeling shot, but releasing it turned it (almost) into a one-point sling that would allow you to take a prone shot.

Am I making sense here?  The Spec-Ops Sling 101 is similar, but has a slider that is limited by two 'triglides'.  

If anyone knows of a current sling like this, please point me in the right direction.  I made one out of 1" webbing, but it's showing some age after a couple of years toting an M203 and a decade in a box.  

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Something like this?

VTAC Sling

or this?

Vickers Sling

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Neither, but thank you for the links.  The sling I used has a section running alongside the weapon, between the connection points.  In the 'standard' position, that section didn't matter, and the sling was just a two-point sling that would leave the weapon muzzle-down behind you (when released).  Once the buckle was released, the strap that normally goes around your back and over your left shoulder slides back down the section that runs along the weapon, allowing more movement.  Basically, when released, it resembles a one-point sling.  

In one sense, when connected, it looks like an uppercase D, with the weapon being the upright.  When disconnected, it looks more like a lowercase b.

I'll see if I can't get some pictures or video uploaded.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about a 3-point sling?  If so, I've found them to suck  but if they work for you, rock out  
First youtube video Google Found

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Close, but not quite.  It's like a three point sling, but with a disconnect that allows the front strap to slide down the weapon towards the rear.  

The Specter is very close, but not quite it.  Theirs just allows more slack on the forward side, not a true slide.

I'm wondering if anything is similar to it.  I'll try to post pics/vid tonight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
To me it sounds like your describing a Gear Sector 3 point quick adjust!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldn't find too many examples of the GS, but yes, that's extremely similar.  Gear Sector's sling uses a friction adjustment; mine has a release clip at the front.  The release allows it to slide freely back down the strap that runs alongside the weapon.  

From researching this, I'm finding that three point slings are not popular at all.  We all thought it was high-speed/low-drag at the time (1997-99).  I never had a problem with mine, but I was nondeployable, stationed with Force XXI...  Actual combat may well have changed my mind on it.  

Thanks for all the feedback so far.  I'll try to rope the wife into cameraman duty and show this one off.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi, You were shown the then current green SA80 (L85) sling. Since HK tried to make the rife slightly less awful and made it into a L85A1, the sling is available in black as well. If you can't get one in the US, try Soldier of fortune (the UK version)

Is this it?      http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/select.asp    and put SA80 sling in the search box.

This has a better picture though the sling itself is a bit the worse for wear!      http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asags3ux.html

I'm sure it's this as we never got anything else like what you have described. For it to be effective you really need a mounting point on the side of your rifles handguard.

If you can find one and they won't ship to the US, I'm sure I can help a fellow AR owner, just shoot me a message.

Cordially

Guy
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
3 point slings typically are not as poplular as 1 and 2 point slings and when Jason (Gear Sector) asked me to try the new 3 point quick adjust I flat out told him that I had major reservations about using a 3 point sling!  He also told me that I would probably be eating those words.  He was right!!  It's a 3 point sling that functioned more like a 2 point but with ability to quickly convert into a single point.  It worked very smoothly.  Needless to say I was very impressed.  Jason continues to really push the envelope in the industry and the quality of products coming from Gear Sector are second to none!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Snowdrop - BINGO!!!!  That's it exactly!

Thank you very much!  I'll see if I can't find one (or something similar) stateside.  I still have the homemade one I stitched together; perhaps I could improve on it as well...

Thanks again; I may be in touch.

Edit - Nevermind; I found a green one on OutdoorGB, and they'll ship it here.  I'll either have a green sling or try to recreate it again.

Woody

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top