Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2016 1:04:49 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm looking for a new trigger for my AR pistol. It has the DPMS lower parts kit trigger, just the cheap $60 dollar kit. I use my AR for a range plinker or up at the cabin having fun. I hear it makes a world of difference with a nice trigger but I've never shot with one other than mine. I see there are single stage and 2 stage triggers but I'm not 100% sure the difference, if you guys could help explain that I would appreciate it! I do like the looks of the flat triggers so I am leaning towards that style. What would you guys recommend for someone like me? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the RRA 2 stage triggers.  Good quality at a good price.  There's lots of info and tutorials on the web that can be found to help. With triggers it comes down to what you will use it for and the biggie ... personal preference (weight of pull, looks, name brand, etc). See if a local shop or friend will let you try the feel of different triggers they have.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Why 2-stage? What is the benefit or difference?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I've been watching some videos on triggers and watch a good video from Bill Geissele explaining all his triggers. I think I want to go with a Geissele SD-E, would this be a good choice for me and my gun?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok I've been watching some videos on triggers and watch a good video from Bill Geissele explaining all his triggers. I think I want to go with a Geissele SD-E, would this be a good choice for me and my gun?
View Quote

The Geissele G2S is worth a look. And 20% off now at Primary Arms

Click for link to Primary Arms
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind waiting, LaRue said they'll be running another sale on their MBT trigger in the next few months. The most recent one's were $125, regular $200.

I dunno about putting the SD-E on a pistol. It's a really light trigger. I'd recommend taking a look at the SSA or G2S if you want to stick with Geissele (which is a highly reputed brand).

I have a SSA, and am very happy with it.

You can also always email Giessele and see what they recommend
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you don't mind waiting, LaRue said they'll be running another sale on their MBT trigger in the next few months. The most recent one's were $125, regular $200.
View Quote

Damn!  I don't think that I can spend my money with a company that's willing to fuck it's customers that hard.

I've seen the Rise triggers around the web for about $100 each. That seems to be a decent price for a 3.5lb trigger.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damn!  I don't think that I can spend my money with a company that's willing to fuck it's customers that hard.

I've seen the Rise triggers around the web for about $100 each. That seems to be a decent price for a 3.5lb trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? I've seen it most compared to Giessele's SSA-E, which they sell for $240
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I dunno about putting the SD-E on a pistol. It's a really light trigger. I'd recommend taking a look at the SSA or G2S if you want to stick with Geissele (which is a highly reputed brand).

View Quote

What are the drawbacks of a light trigger on a pistol? They have an SD-C I believe it's called which is basically the same thing with a little heavier pull...
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, it may be competitive with similar products, I'm talking about a manufacturer that is charging so much that they can discount a part almost 50%. Not the kind of business I want to support.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure, it may be competitive with similar products, I'm talking about a manufacturer that is charging so much that they can discount a part almost 50%. Not the kind of business I want to support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's loss leader. Breaking into the trigger market with so many other options is tough. Get as many triggers into people's hands as you can to spread the popularity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What are the drawbacks of a light trigger on a pistol? They have an SD-C I believe it's called which is basically the same thing with a little heavier pull...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the best way I can explain it is that the heavier trigger is a little more forgiving. It's easier to touch one off before you intend to with the really light spring and short reset. For me, the 4.5lb is perfect for a rifle with non magnified optic. The lighter triggers are more intended for precision and competition shooting.

I guess if you do  go with the SD-E and decide it's too light for the pistol, it could be a good excuse to build another gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without turning this into an ECON 101 discussion, I'd guess Geisesele COULD do the same thing if they wanted to when delivering a new product.  LaRue wanted to get the word out on the triggers, so they're probably running them either close to materials + labor cost or below.  That means that for these triggers, LaRue made the decision not to apply the overheads that would normally get added to pay for buildings, computers, warehouses, etc.  Gets the triggers in the hands of folks who are willing to give a new component a shot at $125 but not at $200.  It's a marketing strategy but in no way dishonest or harming the customer.

What can happen is that this backfires - and the customer base gets used to a $200 trigger selling for $125.  The possibility then is that LaRue can't continue to build these triggers at this price.  Right now he's probably subsidizing the triggers to an extent with the mounts and other items selling at full markup.

Sorry for the threadjack.  I've got a CMC trigger which is very nice and crisp.  I have one of the LaRues on order, and I'm planning on buying a Geissele SD-3G for a rifle I'm working on now. A good trigger makes a big difference.  One word of caution though - there are folks who will work on your stock parts kit trigger and stone the parts.  I'd stay away from that.  I've done that on 2 rifles.  The second one I ended up destroying the trigger group because it became highly unreliable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is a good deal on 3.5 lb SINGLE stage for $95, mine is on its way
http://www.jsesurplus.com/RISEARMAMENTDROPINTRIGGER3.5LBSPORTRA140SST-1.aspx
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larue is doing the sales as a loss leader at $125 with a long term plan on getting enough out there that when someone asks what trigger to get there are several people who like and recommend theirs. I know if they do the sale again I will buy 2. Would have last sale but I had too many other things to get with the holiday. I would love to see how it compars with my SSA-E and have 2 projects for this year. A Lightweight AR and a 300blk pistol
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have said earlier, Larue is pricing them probably at cost (or very close to it) to spread the word.  Before I tried the Larue, I would have recommended a Geissele G2S or SSA, but I have since sold them after trying out an MBT-2s.  Given the fact that Larue now includes an extra 6# spring with the trigger, it's a no-brainer for those that are looking for 4.5# or 6# two-stage.  

The Larue compares favorably to the SSA-E (at a whole lot less) if that means anything to you...
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the SSA-E in my AR, but I got mine at PSA a couple years ago for $189.00. Love the trigger, not too light for all use.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter what he prices them at.  It's what the market will support.  So they are "fucking" the customer by cutting their bottom line?

Makes sense.....to someone I guess.

Let's take a look at what you get vs. other brands.
A fully precision CnC'd trigger made from S7 steel backed by a well respected company within the industry, along with a shitload of "swag".
For $125-$199 depending on their sales.

Or....

A trigger cast just like a "mil-spec" one would be out of the same metal a milspec one would be.  Naturally the geometry has been altered and  much more attention is paid to the engagement surfaces.
For $125-$250 depending on model and sales.

Both are good to go and backed by professional class acts.  One is just more time consuming to produce made out of more expensive material.

If LaRue is "fucking" their customers, where's that leave the other guys?

--End rant.

OP, I would want a 4.5lb trigger like the SSA or G2S if it were me.  Personal opinion.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Selling them at $125 is a risk. If the customers know that Black Friday sales have it for $125, no one will buy for $200. The AR industry is a small market to play saturation games on. This is how car companies screwed themselves with zero percent intrest on loans. Now that the public has gotten used to it, they see it as a given that there will be no intrest. And I highly doubt the triggers are being sold at a loss. Smaller profit perhaps, but not at a loss.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Pricey they are, but the best by far - Wilson TTU triggers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Rise makes some good single stage triggers.  If I wanted a single stage I would go this route.  I have two of their BLUE triggers (debadged Black Rain triggers, made for Black Rain by Rise), they have an extremely short reset. Mine reset around .04" to .045", significantly shorter than an SD3G with a nominal reset of .06" (and my own SD3G actually resets at .077").

For a two stage, I'm a big fan of the Larue.  I've got several, and I'm waiting on a few more.  Larue has stated they are going to make a flat trigger variant at some point, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Geissele's are always pretty good triggers, if you want to go with a Geissele they make special versions for Brownells that sell for less money.  The B-G2S-E is a version of the G2S that feels like an SSA-E instead of an SSA.  The B-GRF is like a S3G/SD3G but using the G2S cost saving techniques.

Personally I have a SD-C, and I wish it was a SD-E.  I tend to like lighter triggers and have no problem running a 3.5lb trigger.

If budget is your biggest concern, then the RRA is very budget friendly and they feel much better than stock.  They were recently on sale for $62.  My preferred version is the 2 stage Varmint 3.5lb trigger.  Legal Transfers on the equipment exchange often times sells them for $79 delivered.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Both the PSA Enhanced Polished Trigger Kit and the ALG ACT kit are very good for the money.

Neither are on the same plain with any of the $200+ triggers, but they serve the purpose well for me...a big improvement over the stock triggers found in common lower parts kits.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anybody know what pull the DPMS lower parts kit has? I've been looking around and can't find it. Maybe that will help me decide if I should go with a lighter single stage or 2 stage
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does anybody know what pull the DPMS lower parts kit has? I've been looking around and can't find it. Maybe that will help me decide if I should go with a lighter single stage or 2 stage
View Quote

Typically around 7-8 lbs

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Typically around 7-8 lbs

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically around 7-8 lbs

OK so a 3.5 or 4.5 single stage I would definitely notice? I'm still kinda leaning towards the Geissele 2 stage but the thought has crossed my mind about a single...
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OK so a 3.5 or 4.5 single stage I would definitely notice? I'm still kinda leaning towards the Geissele 2 stage but the thought has crossed my mind about a single...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically around 7-8 lbs

Definitely would notice
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#29]
CMC triggers !!
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rise makes some good single stage triggers.  If I wanted a single stage I would go this route.  I have two of their BLUE triggers (debadged Black Rain triggers, made for Black Rain by Rise), they have an extremely short reset. Mine reset around .04" to .045", significantly shorter than an SD3G with a nominal reset of .06" (and my own SD3G actually resets at .077").  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update - The Rise Armament RA140 SST is well built and has crazily short reset and very clean let off.  Installed it and did a trigger pull test using a Wheeler Eng pull gauge, it consistently let off at 6.5 lbs so the claim of 3.5 lbs isn't anywhere close.  However, its hammer force seemed to be much more stronger than the Timney 3.5 lb unit (which consistently let off at 3.5 lb) I used as baseline.  I think this will work great with .22LR and 308.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typically around 7-8 lbs

On a 2 stage, when you shoot it fast, you don't notice the 2nd stage. But when you make a careful shot, you can use that 2nd stage to make a precise break. There's also a lot of sear engagement for safety if the rifle is dropped. I like them.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Slowly apply pressure on this link until it goes off ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXgZNnrh9gc

View Quote

Wow, that's interesting Mark. I applied pressure but nothing happened until I released pressure. Are you guys trying to compete with Franklin Armory?

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#33]
For the money my favorite is the ALG ACT.

I have an SSA, I like it but truthfully I think then ACT is a better value.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Update - The Rise Armament RA140 SST is well built and has crazily short reset and very clean let off.  Installed it and did a trigger pull test using a Wheeler Eng pull gauge, it consistently let off at 6.5 lbs so the claim of 3.5 lbs isn't anywhere close.  However, its hammer force seemed to be much more stronger than the Timney 3.5 lb unit (which consistently let off at 3.5 lb) I used as baseline.  I think this will work great with .22LR and 308.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check to make sure the tension screws arent adjusted too tight. It will increase trigger weight if they are.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link I just ordered one
$99.00 shipped to me yeah
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]
What do you think of the ALG Act vs the BCM Gunfighter PNT?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What do you think of the ALG Act vs the BCM Gunfighter PNT?
View Quote
I would skip both and get a good two stage.

If I had to have a combat oriented single stage I would get the hypertouch EDT.  I would still prefer a good two stage like the SSA or MBT for the majority of my shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top