Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 7:10:16 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm looking for a railed forearm that has a rail on top for the whole length, but only short rails on the front end for
the sides and bottom. Sorta like what Les Baer is putting on some of his AR's. Any idea where I can find such
a critter? Everything I've been able to find so far are 4 full rails.

Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
p.r.i.

gg&g
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for PRi...

You don't want an aluminum tube unless all your shooting will be "varmint" style on a bipod or bench.  Any type of "tactical" shooting is going to change your mind on ever touching warm aluminum again!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the SWS "sniper" rails?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I looked at the PRI and it looks GREAT, except for one thing: It's awfully expensive... I couldn't find anything
at gg&g that looked like what I wanted, but perhaps I looked in the wrong places. I couldn't find anything at all about
SWS except some stuff on the M24. More clues about sws and where to find? Is there a cheaper alternative to the
$325 PRI? Thanks again.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
SamBeaux:

Just use a Yankee Hill unit.  The YHM9430, YHM9431 or YHM9432 units have bolt down rails, and you can add as many or as few as you like.  Short ot long.

Yankee Hill handguards

Hope this helps.

Lem
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
ARMS S.I.R. They were designed specifically for a full length top rail, and shorter sides and bottom. Various sizes for various barrel lengths, and all will float your barrel. The civilian versions are easy to install, and require no cutting or removal of stock parts other than your current handguards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The Yankee Hill looks good, and it's closer to my price range. It didn't specify what material it was made from, though.

Now on to a few dumb questions. If I replace my standard handguards with a free float tube, what all do I need to do?
I know I need to remove the front sight base in order to remove the barrel nut, delta rings, etc. Is that all there is to it?
Will the barrel nut, etc. just slide forward off the barrel or do I need special tools?

I built my other AR15, but I built it from the ground up with a free float tube. The barrel I had didn't come with any other
hardware. My new one is a complete upper, so I'm working in new territory... Also, my free float tube is the Hogue, and
I gather that other models are more complicated.

I'm kinda tempted by the two piece handguards from Yankee Hill because they should theoretically be easier to install.
I just don't care for the 4 full rail handguards. Thanks for all the help.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The Yankee Hill looks good, and it's closer to my price range. It didn't specify what material it was made from, though.

Now on to a few dumb questions. If I replace my standard handguards with a free float tube, what all do I need to do?
I know I need to remove the front sight base in order to remove the barrel nut, delta rings, etc. Is that all there is to it?
Will the barrel nut, etc. just slide forward off the barrel or do I need special tools?

I built my other AR15, but I built it from the ground up with a free float tube. The barrel I had didn't come with any other
hardware. My new one is a complete upper, so I'm working in new territory... Also, my free float tube is the Hogue, and
I gather that other models are more complicated.

I'm kinda tempted by the two piece handguards from Yankee Hill because they should theoretically be easier to install.
I just don't care for the 4 full rail handguards. Thanks for all the help.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Aluminum rails such as the DD and LaRue may not have selectable rails, but they are the lightest and very sturdy.  The heat issue can be dealt with.  The ARMS and YHM tubes will be very heavy.  The PRI is your best bet if you don't want all the rails.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't the Vltor CASV-EL have a full top rail and modular rails for the bottom and sides?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Sam:

The YHM tubes are aluminum, just like your Hogue. The jam nut that locks the assembly is steel.  The YHM tube does not weigh any more than your hogue either.

As for removing the front sight base, just look through the threads here - plenty of info.  Takes a lot of force to move the tapered pins out the right direction.

Tools.
No special tools are required for the sight base removal, and the nut / delta ring just slides off.

Buy the YHM wrench for the handguard. All of the crying on here about loose YHM handguards is because it was not tightened properly.  I have several YHM's, and have never had one loosen up.  It takes a bit of torque, and wihout the hook tool from YHM you can't do it right.

Two piece handguards are just a band aid.  If all you want is a flashlight mount, buy one.  A free-floated barrel is a whole different ball game.

Lem
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Check this out:

CASV-EL Free-float Handguard
www.vltor.com/handguards_and_rails.html

Can free float without removing the fsb.  Comes with selection of rails to choose from.  It is aluminum though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I looked into the VLTOR, but it only fits Carbines. Mine's a dissy... Anybody have any opinions on the Badger
Ordnance stabilizer?

And why, oh why, are railed handguards so outrageously expensive? I can get a set of stock handguards for what, $20?
I can get a pretty good free float tube for under $50... Why does putting rails on it quadruple or even sextuple the price?

Sam
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And why, oh why, are railed handguards so outrageously expensive? I can get a set of stock handguards for what, $20? I can get a pretty good free float tube for under $50... Why does putting rails on it quadruple or even sextuple the price?

I guess it boils down to what level of quality you want to pay for. Sure, you can get a "pretty good" FF tube for $50 but it won't be "mil-spec durable". Heck, (4) 7" (carbine length) picatinny rails run around $100 alone. So even if you take a "pretty good" carbine length FF tube and add (4) rails to it, you're at $150. When you start looking at PRI, Larue, Daniel Defense and KAC, you're getting into field proven, high quality gear and it will cost more.

Check out the customizable tube forearm systems from YHM. They're about the 4th ones down.

If you're putting your life on the line when using your rifle, then you shouldn't skimp. If you're not doing so then you can afford to skimp. The bottom line is you get what you pay for and the more expensive rail systems are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#15]
the new JP
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not exactly a "tactical operator". I bought a DPMS dissipator-style upper mostly for plinking
and/or looter persuasion. If I want to stay mil-spec, I can always stick with the standard handguards.
The only reason I was interested in a railed handguard was to have a reasonable place to stick
my EOTech. I can always mount it on the carry handle if necessary. I just don't think it's worth
$300+ dollars to me for a handguard. I could see up to around $150 or so for a handguard that I
really like.

I took a look at the JP, and it looks pretty nice. I think it might be down to the Badger Ordnance,
the Yankee Hills, and the JP. I'm still looking, but so far those are the front runners. I won't be home
for a month, so I have time to decide.

Thanks for all the input.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The only reason I was interested in a railed handguard was to have a reasonable place to stick
my EOTech.

If you're going to mount an optic on your handguards, then you should get a free-floating one otherwise, any pressure exerted on the hanguard will throw your zero off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice pics! Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 on the yhm customizable free float. I got mine from calvin at brightflashlights, awesome service. I dont have any rails on mine though as i do not have any purpose for them, because i only use mine for varminting but if i decide later that i do want rails  then i can add any length rail that i want. Its a sturdy handguard though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
i also have the yhm customizable on two uppers.  only one i like better is the D & L, but price sent me to the yhm.  they had them on sale for christmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top