Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2010 11:11:46 PM EDT
I have a surefire G2L that a carry now and am looking to upgrade. I would like it to be atliest 150 lumens, have a pocket clip for bezel down carry and be durable of course. Anyone got some recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Price range?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can swing it, the SF LX2 gives you bezel up or down carry, comes with the lanyard, and it's real output is closer to 220 - 230L.  The Optic lens also gives it a ton of throw for outdoors use.  Works great for late night hikes.  I got mine for just under $150 on ebay.  The very similar E2DL sells for about $50 less retail or on ebay.  Slightly different operation, but it will chew your pockets up easy.  Both are good for 80 yards + out in the open on a clear night.

SF E1B is certainly an EDC light, but is closer to 120L on it's high mode.  Keep in mind that mostly everyone else overstates their output, so a competitor's 150L light is probably close to SF's rating.  You will not be able to perceive the difference between 120L and 150L anyways.  Not anything against you, it just isn't in the property of our eyes'.  You can find these critters for about $100 to $140 new if you look.  I'm a dual output fan.

Of course there are a ton of fenix, eagletac, quark, etc, etc, lights out there too but I'm not a fan of their operation most of the time.  I have not had any issues with my Quark mini.  It is bright and floody, but the head twist operation to turn it on is also loose enough that I am expecting the head to be gone at some point.  Their tactical series is a little better but at $75 or $80, I'd just rather spend another $40 on a SF.  Maybe some of the Ra EDC lights are a good one to look up too.  Pretty sure you can switch pocket clip on those, but not certain.

http://ralights.com/

The other option is to look at TNVC's upgrades for the G2L.   How does a multi-output tailcap and 230L+ drop in sound?    Don't know about what pocket clip options you may have though.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
As was mentioned above, I'd recommend the Surefire E1B.  The advertised output isn't exactly 150 lumens, but it's easily as bright as my PD10 Ti that's rated at 216 lumens.  I carry mine every day.  Awesome light.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a used Surefire E1B I got on EE for $85 - it is awesome!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just going to start a similar thread, so I'll just piggyback on yours.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Surefire E2DL.  High and low mode makes it very versatile.  Plus it's a SF so you know the reliablity is there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I carried a SF E1L  for about a year in a comp-tac belt holster.  I now carry a Fenix PD 20.  More light (190 lumens), smaller, more functions, less $$.  It has become my everyday light.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
these were posted last week for 17.93 on slickdeals.net guess the price went back up since then. I've got one on order and it should be here in a few days. CPF has an info thread on them

Fenix E10

forward clickie, runs on  1 AA battery. 55 lumen LED.

no clip, but i'll tie a 550 cord lanyard around it or something.

my current EDC light is a streamlight microstream. its about 15-20 lumens, forward clickie tail cap, runs on 1 AAA battery, and has a clip.
its served me well for over a year now. occasionally something will glitch and the light will flicker. its happened once or thrice. usually thumping it against my palm will settle it down.
MicroStream

Just re-read and saw your specifications. check out
this Sunwayled

and this Eagletac
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the E2DL. I carry it  everyday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
E2DL
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the Streamlight Polytac is a little short on the output you want at 120 or 130 lumens, but I recommend trying one out if you can. They run around $30 and can't be beat for anything close to the price IMO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Streamlight PolyTac LED are 120 lumes I have one on my AR. It is light weight really bright lifetime warranty and half the price of a surefire and just as good.

I used to use the Poly Tac as a carry light but since I put it on my AR I am looking for something to replace it. I have found this light Streamlight PT 2L 180 lumes and smaller than a polytac
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quark AA tactical.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Me and three other buddies have tried these Olight's out this year and are LOVING them! I carry the T20(2xCR123) cause of the clip. It is a little longer than the T15(1xAA) or T10(1xCR123), but I love not having it down in my pocket flippin around and making me look happy all the time. If you decide to get any, BatteryJunction has some good deals, but we all got them from reputable light/battery 'recommended sellers' on eBay. Paid anywhere from $45-$60 shipped for the T25's. Make sure to get the v2010 model as it has the newer XP-G R5 in it that is advertised 310lumens, prob like 250 really, but still dang bright for a EDC the size of a pocket knife!
Olight USA

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
HDS System RA Clicky 170T. In use by our armed forces around the world, hands down your best choice and worth every penny!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just make sure you call Kevin at Brightflashlights.com, great service, quick shipping and excellent prices...call him before you buy....352-732-2156.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll echo Dan's comments on the E2D LED...the aggressive bezel can tear up clothing and the clip only allows the bezel up carry.  Still, I picked one up on sale from a vendor for $110 with free batteries and have gladly carried this for about 6 months now.  It's a much slimmer profile than the Ge'2.  The dual light output has come in very handy when walking the dog or taking the trash out at night.  My other minor gripe is the clicking between output modes...in a SD situation, you don't want to be clicking around for the high output.  The LX2 solves all of these little details.  If I see a good deal on the LX2's, this is what I'll switch to and likely add the E2D to one of my AR's as a weapon light.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top