Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2007 6:53:44 PM EDT
A bit new to the higher end scope market and looking for advice!
I'm building 2 custom .300-221 AR's and would like a few opinions or suggestions for glass. Would like to have a scope in the 6-24x range with (preferably) a 50mm bell and target knobs.  I'm drooling over a Nightforce, but gotta keep it under a grand to make budget...hinking.gif
A couple scopes I'm considering now are the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 and the Burris 6-24x50 XTR.

does anyone know of the reliability/repeatability of these scopes (or others) as far as adjusting the elevation/windage? does the fact that they have target knobs mean the 'click' mechanism is beefier or do I even need to worry about it? reason I ask is because the rifles, or at least one of them (mine ) will end up getting Form 1'd and will shoot subsonic with a can one day and supersonic the next according to range so i don't particularly want to set and forget and just hold over for the subsonic...I like hair on hair as much as possible!
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
May not be exactly what you are looking for, but check out the Leupold Mk.4 CQC.  The specs make it seem pretty versatile, though I've never used one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for going to the trouble of illustrating your point, Mike! perty scopes on perty rifles...and more drooling over the Nightforce hat
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
...you have access to too many toys, lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 scope and today it lives on my 15 year old daughter's 10/22, it kicks butt there. She loves it. It used to be on my Remington M700 VSSF .308.

I now have a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my Bushy Varminter and there is NO COMPARISION.
In broad daylight the difference is clear, in low light the difference is just silly, just silly.
The Leupold is a 40mm objective and the Zeiss a 50mm, so for comparision in low light, I put the Zeiss at 20x and the Leupold at 10x to more than make up the difference. Still the Zeiss blew it away. Not even close.

BTW, I have a Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tatical (now known as the Monarch-X) on my Remington M700 VSSF in .308 and it is fantastic. It is built like a friggin tank. I could build a house with it!

Good Luck
Bill

ETA: Take a very close look at the new Nikon Monarch 6-24x44 1" scopes with side parallex, they look great. I have a number of the Nikon Monarch's and I think there are the best value out there. If you are looking for the VERY BEST value, then go for the now phased out Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44, SWFA and others are selling these at close out prices. Incredible deals on incredible glass.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
IOR Valdada. Google to find them. They're great. Very resilient, clicks are crisp and consistent, much clearer image than leupold. I have a Nightforce and Valdada on my higher end rifles, and they're both great. The valdada i would say is equal to the NF, but about half the price. I don't think you can go wrong with them
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a DPMS LR 308 and am looking for some big glass.  $800 is the max I'll go on a scope.  I'm looking for at least a 6-20x 50mm mil-dot.

That Bushnell ELITE 4200 6X-24X50mm SF MILDOT above looks pretty impressive.

I was also looking at the 6X-24X-50mm Xtreme Tactical Burris.  It looks like a good scope as well, but it seems a lot of people don't like Burris.

I would've never thought about buying a high-end Bushnell over a high-end Burris, but I guess I don't know the latest about optics.

I wish I was rich and could afford a Nightforce-those look friggin' awesome.  Way outa my range-$1,600 compared to other's $700 scopes.  I'm sure it's worth every penny though.

More suggestions!  Please!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just bought a DPMS LR 308 and am looking for some big glass.  $800 is the max I'll go on a scope.  I'm looking for at least a 6-20x 50mm mil-dot.

That Bushnell ELITE 4200 6X-24X50mm SF MILDOT above looks pretty impressive.

I was also looking at the 6X-24X-50mm Xtreme Tactical Burris.  It looks like a good scope as well, but it seems a lot of people don't like Burris.

I would've never thought about buying a high-end Bushnell over a high-end Burris, but I guess I don't know the latest about optics.

I wish I was rich and could afford a Nightforce-those look friggin' awesome.  Way outa my range-$1,600 compared to other's $700 scopes.  I'm sure it's worth every penny though.

More suggestions!  Please!

I'd give the Burris XTR series a shot (Poor pun usage) I have a Fullfield II & its solid...
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure what you are wanting to spend but you might want to look at the USO scopes.

I have to agree that IOR is really hard to beat in the bang for your buck realm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump, I am in a similar situation with a DPMS flat top target upper and a .223 24" long bull barrel for long range varmit and plinking. I definitely want mil dot sight and would perfer a 30 mm tube, but won't rule out a 1" tube if the scope offers outstanding glass and features. My budget would be about $500.00 max. I dealer I know can get me a Pentax Lightseeker 30 in the similar zoom ranges noted above for about $600.00, but I don't know if that is worth the money to me.
Further suggestions and experiences would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Burris Signature 8-32X50 that is on a rifle that I'm not using. If that is something that would work for you let me know. I hadn't thought of selling it, but it isn't doing anything and I can always find use for some cash. It is in like new condition. Just email me if you are interested.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top