Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:58:12 AM EDT
Let me first say that I've handload for more than 20 years, so I'm not new to this. I'm aware that each gun shoots differently and that what works for one may not work in another. Having said that, does anyone have a load for surplus 844 they would like to share? I know that 26 gr. is a popular load, but I'm wondering if anyone has had better like with a different charge weight. I'm beginnig to load pulled 55 gr. M193 heads, and before I start experimenting, I thought I'd ask. These loads are for my 20" 1:9 twist chrome-lined Bushmaster HBAR.

Also, I need some opions on brass. I just received 30 lbs. of mixed brass from HQ and I'm wondering the pros and cons of each of the following headstamps:

LC (mixed years)
FC
WCC
Winchester (commercial)
RP
PMC

I've read that the FC brass has problems with primer pockets becoming over-sized. Is this the case?

Also, which can be loaded with the same charge weight and deliver the approx. same velocity/pressure?

Military primer pockets are not a problem for me, as I have a Dillon primer pocket swage.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the Reloading forum over on the General board.  

I've read that the FC brass has problems with primer pockets becoming over-sized. Is this the case?

There was a thread here somewhere, either over on the Reloading forum or maybe here in the Ammunition forum, about how Federal commerical brass--FC headstamp--was really soft and not suitable for reloading.  As far as I know all of the others you have listed are good.  LC and WCC will have crimps, the others should not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Trash the FC unless you're making MILD Loads with it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I use LC (mixed years) cases and the 55 grain pulled military bullets. I load over 26.5 of 2230C and get about one inch groups at 100 yards. For the 3 Gun I shoot, that is plenty accurate enough.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top