Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2009 10:25:13 PM EDT
Hi Everyone. I don’t post a whole lot here but read a great deal of posts and appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I have owned a Bushmaster Predator for about a year and a half now and it is my first and only AR so far. I love the riffle and it is truly a tack driver shooting groups as tight as my heavy barreled 7-08 Rem 700.

For a while I have been looking to add another AR to my collection. I was considering a 6.5 Grendel. Part of it was because I spent a great deal of time while I was young hanging out at my local gunsmith’s house back home. He is a Swedish fellow and had sporterized many versions of the 6.5x55 and had high regards for the 6.5 round. I also wanted to get an AR in a caliber that would be a little better for some longer shooting while at the range.

It seems the Grendel is still fairly expensive and difficult to come by and ammo is limited at best although I would hand load for it if I had it. I am now thinking of possibly going the route of an AR like the one offered from DPMS in a .260 Remington. It seems it would have all the benefits of the 6.5 Grendel with considerably more downrange punch being based on the 308 case.

Has anyone here spent anytime shooting the AR platform in a .260 Rem and how did you like it? Secondly who would you recommend going through for a quality rifle in the 1200 dollar price range? It will be mostly used at the range and possibly for critter and small game hunting from time to time.

I just recently moved to the Denver area from Western Colorado. Out there I had a local FFL that was really good about having firearms sent to him. Now I am not sure where to go about finding a good FFL holder in Denver and may go the route of purchasing the upper and lower assemblies separately to make life easier. I live close to Green Mt. Guns in Lakewood and may role down there and see what they may have to offer as well. Thanks for your feedback as it is greatly appreciated.

-Joe
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd go with 260 Remington just for ammo availability. If you're big into reloading, obviously, that wouldn't be a concern.

DPMS is a good name - I wouldn't worry about quality.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the LR260 with the 24" barrel.  Added a RRA trigger and an ergo grip, waiting for my budget to recover and get a PRS stock.  Great gun, straight forward, easy to shoot good.  Just a test load of 120vmax, 43.5gr 4350 will print some tiny little groups.  The first group my Dad shot was his smallest ever.  Really impressive, just stick with the 100-120 gr bullets and it is perfect.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking it will be the .260 Rem for me as well. I just saw another post that said DPMS is 100,000 riffles behind and it could be a year wait to a riffle form them! I am kicking myself for not buying one last fall now before the election was over...
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
JWood,

First, the #1 Premier EBR dealer in the entire State is - Jensen Arms in Loveland - definitely check them out...from Denver it's only around a 45 minute drive north on I-25. Second, I would do more research before finalizing your decision. I own a couple of Sabre Defence rifles in 6.5 Grendel and they're awesome. Lots of info on the grendel here

Cheers,

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a HUGE 260 Remington fan and will eventually own one of them, but I am looking hard at the 6.5 Grendel right now.

I have a complete AR15 lower sitting in my safe just begging fr an alternate caliber upper. Just looked at J&T Distributing and they have some really good prices on their kits. 16 or 20" Grendel kit with options for around $650 shipped. Not sure what their current ship times are like, but they have to be better than DPMS.

Be ready to wait about a year on a DPMS rifle in 260 Remington.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, I may have to hit that Jensen Arms place next time I am in Longmont visiting my sister.  Sounds interesting!  

My thoughts:

.260 = heavier AR10 gun

6.5G = standard AR action

I do agree the .260 is better ballistically, but the 6.5G is a bit more versatile I think because of the modular nature of the AR15.  It is just such a universal platform.  ANd if you are going to hunt with it, it is lighter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am a HUGE 260 Remington fan and will eventually own one of them, but I am looking hard at the 6.5 Grendel right now.

I have a complete AR15 lower sitting in my safe just begging fr an alternate caliber upper. Just looked at J&T Distributing and they have some really good prices on their kits. 16 or 20" Grendel kit with options for around $650 shipped. Not sure what their current ship times are like, but they have to be better than DPMS.

Be ready to wait about a year on a DPMS rifle in 260 Remington.
I've had a 20" Grendel kit on order at J&T for about a month, and they're already asking me questions that lead me to believe that they're pretty close to getting all the parts together.  Great price too.  They've been great to work with - very responsive to phone calls and e-mails (even during SHOT.)

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two Grendels and I love them.  However, ammo is, and will probably always be, a pain in the butt to get in large quantity without waiting on long backorders.  I have stocked up over the last two years and finally was able to piece together 1300 rounds.

That being said, if you can live with ordering ammo in advance, and waiting on a 3-5 week backorder from time to time for ammo, then the Grendel is a fantastic round.  The best part is you can swap out the upper for any other AR-15 platform, and getting accessories is much easier as there are 10 times the accessories for the AR-15 platform then the AR-10 platform.

Make sure you get some Grendel magazines ordered if you go that route, they tend to sell out fast.  You can always get them on Gunbroker for a higher price, and 44.mag usually has some as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget it is pretty easy to fireform 7.62x39 brass to make 6.5G!  I do have a few hundred pcs of 6.5G brass, but I always buy or pick up x39 brass and fireform it just in case.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
JWood,

First, the #1 Premier EBR dealer in the entire State is - Jensen Arms in Loveland - definitely check them out...from Denver it's only around a 45 minute drive north on I-25. Second, I would do more research before finalizing your decision. I own a couple of Sabre Defence rifles in 6.5 Grendel and they're awesome. Lots of info on the grendel here

Cheers,

Sakic #19

Joe, thanks for the link to Jensen. I am going to check it out as soon as I get back to CO in two weeks. Do they sell complete lower receivers as well as complete rifles? After reading the posts it may be wiser to go with the Grendel as then if I want to add another upper, say Bushy .450 or something then I would be able to swap it out with the Grendel.

How do Jensen's prices compare with Green Mt. as that is the only other place of reference I have in the Denver area thus far?

Thanks!
Joe W.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have two Grendels and I love them.  However, ammo is, and will probably always be, a pain in the butt to get in large quantity without waiting on long backorders.  I have stocked up over the last two years and finally was able to piece together 1300 rounds.

That being said, if you can live with ordering ammo in advance, and waiting on a 3-5 week backorder from time to time for ammo, then the Grendel is a fantastic round.  The best part is you can swap out the upper for any other AR-15 platform, and getting accessories is much easier as there are 10 times the accessories for the AR-15 platform then the AR-10 platform.

Make sure you get some Grendel magazines ordered if you go that route, they tend to sell out fast.  You can always get them on Gunbroker for a higher price, and 44.mag usually has some as well.

CC, thanks for the tip on mags for the Grendel. As far as ammo goes I would handload the majority of my own ammo but need to get a good supply of cases to reload first of all. If I do order an upper from J&T the wait for it to arrive would give me a chance to start stocking up on ammo early just in case.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top