Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/10/2005 1:33:27 PM EDT
I already have a Bushmaster in .223 and am looking at adding a semi-auto in .308. I plink and target shoot, no hunting with this rifle, save that for my .30-06.

It has been awhile since I bought the Bushmaster and just started shopping the net and surfing forums to get educated again.

Barrell: Stainless or Chrome??

What is the DuraCoat finish that DSA offers?

DPMS =
• No dust cover
• No shell deflector
• No forward assist

Then there's H&K.

I would rather have a longer, match grade (bull) barrel.

I keep finding sites that are pro this or pro that or comparing different calibers.

Any info on where else to look or any opinions would be great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 7:29:56 PM EDT by Tight-Line]
I have a DPMS 308 24" stainless bull barrel. I also have a BM 308 20" chromoly A2. I have found that the DPMS is incredibly accurate. The upper reciever is very stought, its about 1/4" thick. The barrel is free floated and jst under a full inch in diameter for the full length. It is a precision rifle capable of extreem accuracy.

The Bushmaster is of standard A2 configuration. I like the fact that I can use cheap FAL mags but now that the ban is lifted it is not as big of a differance as it once was. I have had problems with it since day one with the charging handle popping out of its detent. I sent it back and the upper reciever was replaced. When I got it back the barrel and sight post is canted to the left wich made the rear sight bottom out the windage all the way to the left. I know these are new rifles and I can see the problem with the charging handle happening but the misaligned barrel and sight post is just sloppy work. That being said BM did appologize and they are sending a call tag to pic the upper up so we will see how it goes.

Finially there is the price: DPMS 24"308 $925
BM 20" A2 308 $1500

I think the BM is overpriced but the BM name has a following and can demand a priemium price. To be honest I got it because I wanted an A2 308 and got mine for 1K second hand new and unfired.

For the full price of the BM you could get a DPMS 24" 308 for $925, Jewel trigger for $175 and still have $400 in the budget to put twords a scope and mounts.

They are two totally different rifles and it would depend on what type of shooting you want to do .

It all depends on what type of shooting you want to do
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
I've been looking hard at the various offerings, also, and the DPMS keeps coming to the top of my list.

I've had some of the same concerns that you mentioned. However, for target shooting, and for everything short of crawling through the mud, a dust cover may not really add a lot. While I'd kind of prefer one, it isn't a deal-breaker for me. Hard to tell from a lot of the various pictures out there, but have not noticed any .308 AR's with a forward assist. While I haven't shot the DPMS yet, I'm assuming they designed the ejection so as not to need a deflector -- at least I hope so -- and no one has mentioned ejection as a problem.

The two things swaying me more towards the DPMS are the extreme accuracy that is often reported, and the solid reliability if used with good (SR-25) mags. Those are the two most important things for me.

While the bull barrel will make the rifle heavy, the shorter versions don't seem to be a whole lot lighter. Additionally, the 24" stainless bull barrel model is still very close to the M1A and others in weight, so not much of a discriminator.

I've been struggling with the same decision, but after evaluating all the factors, I see the DPMS 24" stainless bull as the logical answer for my intended uses. Best of luck in your decision!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:41:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:24:22 PM EDT
my dpms lr308 throws the brass out at 2 o'clock and in a pile close to the gun, I have no problems with it, it feeds and ejects - I just keep feeding it. I have two armalite waffle mags that I use, the plastic ones suck. I also put a RRA two stage trigger in it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:31:57 PM EDT
How about the DSA SA58??
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:07:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RD049:
How about the DSA SA58??

You cant go wrong with that either, but if you accuracy get the DPMS LR or the AR-10 T

Bigant
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:28:09 PM EDT
sr-25
Top Top