Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2008 3:42:14 PM EDT
Anyone have any comments about this scope for range shooting?  I was planning on getting one of these with a 3-9x40 setup, for mainly range shooting.  I also contacted SWFA about rings for mounting, and it was suggested the Warne AR15 Ultra High w/Quick release levers.  I wanted something like the release levers that A.R.M.S offers and LaRue, but without the high cost.  I hear good things about Warne.  Any experiences with these?  Looking for some insight.  Let me know if this setup sounds like a good start.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased the Smith and Wesson M&P15T.  Its a 16" barrel with folding BUIS.  I believe they are Troy Industries.  I figured I would shoot 50 yards with the BUIS, and 100 yards with a scope setup.  I didn't want to spend too much on the scope setup mainly because I just bought the rifle, and I didn't feel I needed anything to crazy just yet.  I really just want to target shoot and get used to my AR, being this is my first one and I am new to the game.

So you say the Warne rings are not my best option for what I am trying to do?  I guess I am not sure what I truly need, however I know I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on rings to mount a $200 scope.  I figured something with an easily detachable setup would allow me to shoot BUIS and Scope if I decided, without much hassle or tools at the range.  Although, I am not sure how often that will happen.  Then again that is why I am posting.  I would like to get options from people that have been doing this for a while.

Thanks again for your response!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the wacky world of AR magnified optics!  Better buckle your seat belt.

There are 3 basic options for mounting scopes on an AR.  Most people want the scope centerline around 1.3-1.5" above the rail so it'll be similar to the iron sights and they can use the same shoulder mount and cheek weld for either.

- Extra-high rings, with a centerline around 1.3-1.5".  These don't give much forward eye relief, which a lot of people need, especially with illuminated scopes, which have long eyepieces.  Stable but not very flexible on an AR.

-  One-piece mounts, which come in a wide variety of heights, forward offset, and mount styles.  These are simple and solid, but not very flexible.  Here's the Big List of one-piece mounts:
www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

- Extended rail with rings.  You want the ring centerline height and rail height to add up to the total height you want.  These give lots of flexibility, but are more complex and have more connections to shift or loosen.

Also, you'll need enough height for the scope to clear the rear BUIS, which will depend on the BUIS, scope, and mount.  The centerline of the rings or mount needs to be taller than the folded BUIS height plus 1/2 of the scope eyepiece diameter.

You can figure out where the scope needs to be mounted by bringing the rifle up the way you'd normally shoot it, then lining up the scope to see where the eyepiece falls relative to the charging handle, and where rings would fall relative to the rail.

Take a look at the tacked threads and the pictures of scopes, and you'll see all variety of mounts, rings, and positions.

While it's not cheap ($200), there's a lot to be said for just buying the LaRue SPR mount, which is pretty close to a perfect design.  If it doesn't work out, you can re-sell it for a substantial portion of what you paid for it.

If you need to go inexpensive and you're using a 30mm scope, the CAA DVSR one-piece mount is a good starting point, and is only $25.  It's not QR, but is well made, and lots of people have had good luck with it.  The included 1" ring adapters don't work well, but you can buy ring reducers elsewhere that will.  It's a great way to figure out what works for you for a low price.

Here's a review of it:
www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/caa/caa_dvsr.htm
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top