Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2003 5:53:20 PM EDT
Is the modular carbine priced right for what You get?  I would also like  to know how it feels and shoots.
Thanks,
Joel
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
What "features and benefits" on this rifle do you need?

Looks like a standard carbine with funny stock, funny grip, silly sights, and lots of rails to me.   [;)]

But the KISS principle applies to of my weapons.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I would rather have a regular Bushmaster with KAC FF RAS and ARMS 40 and get almost the same thing for less money and have far better parts on the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Well at this time I am considering the M4
with short carbine barrel. Iron sights and that
ETOH gizmo. It comes with that stock that looks like a a pices of water pipe with a flat buttplate screwed on the back. The stock on the modular carbine looks cool but I think I'd be tearing the foam rubber off of the top piece??
all opinions welcome.
Joel
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Id save my money and get better parts like the KAC FF RAS and AMRS 40 then in 11 months get a real collapsing stock instead of an ACE.  I would also get a 1/7 twist Bushmaster barrel instead of the 1/9 on that rifle.

In sohirt I would save my pennies, do more research and put my rifle together right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Id save my money and get better parts like the KAC FF RAS and AMRS 40 then in 11 months get a real collapsing stock instead of an ACE.  I would also get a 1/7 twist Bushmaster barrel instead of the 1/9 on that rifle.

In sohirt I would save my pennies, do more research and put my rifle together right.
View Quote

Devl,
Please under stand that I have no idea what you just told me, other than the rate of twist.
If you would break down each component that you made referance to, and what is that components features and benefits.
Thanks,
Joel
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The Bushmaster rail system is inferior to the rail system produced by Knight's Armament.  Yes they both free float the barrel and have 1913 spec rails but the KAC unit is made much better and other small featuers added to it.  Just do a search for Knights Free Float RAS or KAC FF RAS.  There is an almost unlimted amount of info out there.  KAC makes the rail system our military uses.

The ARMS 40 is the back up rear sight.  Its spring loaded and is considered by AR15.com to be the best all around rear sight at any price and its hardly any more expensive than the Bushmaster sight on that rifle which is inverior in both quality and execution.

Bushmaster uses 1/9 twists.  Mil-spec is 1/7.  This allows you to stabilize the heavy weight match rounds which have the best terminal ballistics in the 75 and 77 grain ranges.  Contrary to dogma 1/7 is no less accurate with the 55 grain fodder you will likely use for blasting.

If you want an M4 barrel Bushmaster makes 1/7 twist barrels for the government which are never advertised.  You can buy the barrel for $195.  It is 14.5" long and needs a brake attached to the end to reach 16".  You would have to pay someone to build your rifle or do it yourself...(which is so easy it is ridiculous but you have to buy the tools so its cheaper to pay to have it assembled)

Esentially what I am saying is either buy a plain jane flat top and save your money till you know whats good and whats not or just buy all the good quality components you decide are best tailored to your application and have the rifle assembled.

In 11 months the Assualt Weapons ban ends.  I would save my money on a custom stock till then so you can get a real collapsing stock.

The Bushmaster rifle you mentioned has essentially Bushmasters copy of the FF RAS, Bushmasters copy of an ARMS40 and the standeard 1/9 twist barrel with an ACE stock thrown on.  They are making this a stnadard rifle to make as much profit as possible.  I suggest either more research before making a rifle purchase or get a 16" flat top and buy the accesories you want piece by piece.  

The folding fron sight is not as well executed as a PRI for example.  Have you determined you even need a folding fron sight?  Why would you pay for something you dont need?  I would just do more research if I were you and make a more educated decision when you feel confident you know what you are buying and why you are buying it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Devl,
Thanks for your precise explanation. It is late
but I will study everything. your are correct
I don't really think I need a folding front sight or many features that the manufactuers
parade as something you can't get along without.
As for this purchase, I want the most bang for the buck. It is very doable for me to buy the tools to assemble a unit. I'll have to take stuff apart over time. I do alot of my own handi-work (this does not include
wood, I suck) for the record at this time I have allowed myself about 1200.00, but, I like the flattop 'cause I can use iron sights and one of those EO-tech units(seems like a good Idea).
Your comments(as well as those on the forum) are welcome on my thoughts about what I will putting together. I may be premature but This will come together about tax time. So far I have heard 3 differant versions of what I "need"
from 3 local gun shops. I know they have to move their wares and cannot totally be unbiased.
Thanks,
Joel
By the way, I enjoy the research part of this project. This insures true pleasure of ownnership (something done right) as well as range time(plus it's just plain cool).
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]
What DevL said.  [:D]

I will, however, add that a valuable resource can be found in your Hometown Forum.  Click on the Hometown button in the upper right-hand corner, find your state/area and introduce yourself.  I've meet many great people in my area thanks to this site.  We have all been willing to let others try things to which they might otherwise not have access.  For example, around here there aren't many dealers (or gun show even) where you can actually see an ACOG, RAS or many of the other higher-end accessories/optics.  Between our little "Georgia gang" and the Alabama guys we occasionally visit, you'll see every type of optic, stock, grip, rail system, light, etc. you can imagine.  It really helps if you can see and use things for yourself before you buy.  What may work for someone else might not be ideal for you.

BTW, welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#10]
How about a 1974 cadillac eldorado ,a pair of aligator shoes,and some hoe's to go with that pimped up AR ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top